Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Fixing Leaks in 1986 RV

Hi! We have enjoyed our 1986 class C 21' RV for about 4 years. We added some plywood planks in the front above the driver's seat area to expand sleeping space for our 2 youngest kids. It works great! We found this summer that after a rain when we moved the plywood planks, they were wet on the UNDERside. The bedding was never wet, so I know it isn't leaking from above. We did a water test, and see no visible leaks. Any ideas where the rain might be getting in and seeping up from the bottom? Thanks so much for the help!
JenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

does it have a front window?? If it does most leaks come from there. Next is to check seal on the clearance lights, just reseal and go from there. Any side windows in the loft area? They also leak.

Just so many places for water to get in hard to pinpoint all possibilities. Since its an 86 how is the moulding rail on top, also any other areas such as tv antenna etc.

Also have you recoated/treated the rubber roof? may need to do that also and it will seal small leaks.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

hank857, thanks for the input. Because of your post, we decided to have the front section resealed by a professional. He did the clearance lights, all around the front and side windows, and took off the exterior trim pieces, resealed and reattached those. I'll probably have him come back in the spring because we need to replace the refrigerator and AC vents, and maybe we will have him continue the sealing work he did on the front throughout the rest of the body. I love our old RV!! Just want to keep it going as long as possible! Thanks for the guidance!
JenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a soft spot in the wall below the window by my dinette, as far as sealant for clearance lights, what should I use? and windows also.
95winnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If the wall s soft more than likely the frame is rotted as is the plywood wall. I redid a small trailer with a similar problem by taking the wall board off and seeing what was going on. I knew from the guy I bought from that he said he had fixed some leaks, but when the panel was removed the extent was fair sized. You may need to remove the window and rebuilt the frame that was around it as well as the wall. I used cripples to redo the wall frame (use same size framing but it is put in next to the original if the wood still has some strength in it) older units utilized staples to be put together with but they were assembled as a frame without skin so was easy to do. There is also some glue out there that can be used to strengthen rotten wood as long as it is not in pieces, forget its name. Used it to strengthen the paneling. Work not hard if you have some knowledge but is time consuming. You might need to look for a utility type worker who knows how to repair wood products? to seal the windows after its pulled used putty tape around the frame or at least use a good urethane sealer (not silicone) around the frame.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks