Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

First Timer - Winnebago View - External Propane ?

Just got our first RV, a 2020 Winnebago View. So far so good. Only problem is the external propane connect to the bbq does not work. I have a new BBQ designed specifically for this application, the Camco Olympian 6500. It works fine connected to a different source, so it is not the bbq. Is there a switch that needs to be activated to move the propane to this outlet. The valve on the hose and at the RV are both open. The gas stove top and furnace work fine using the propane. Any suggestions?
NWRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Okay with the main gas valve open and knowing the other items work, I might ask some questions about the regulators on the combo. What is often the problem is that the BBG has some form of regulator built in and when connected after the regulator on the RV, it doesn't get the right pressure to work. Is the other source of propane the same pressure as when on the rv or is it working fine, say straight off a tank?
When folks add a line to use an outside BBQ, it has to have the line tap in at the right point before or after the regulator already on the RV and it depends on what the BBQ already has.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Humm, I was going to say something about the regulator... but that Olympian should work fine as it's made for already regulated propane.

I've not used mine. I just assumed if you opened both ends of the hose all would be fine.

Please let us know when you figure it out!
Old 06-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Richard, not that BBQ. Here's the description:
Camco Olympian 6500 Stainless Steel Portable Gas Grill Connects to Low Pressure Supply On RV
And I had one on my old Arctic Fox Travel Trailer. Great grill. I miss it.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again. I'll continue to chase it down.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

This snip from the parts diagrams, seems to show a valve at the quick-connect. Is this something you've found and opened? Looks obvious but things are sometimes hidden!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LP valve.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	173826  
Old 06-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yep, both this valve at the RV and the valve at the hose connecting to the BBQ are both open. And when I connect this BBQ using same hose line to a different source of propane all works fine. Seems to me propane is not able to go through the RV to this connection.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Next idea gets into how safe you feel working around propane???? On a new one, I would be heading back to the dealer, assuming that is a practical distance and all that.
But if it is going to be a DIY project, I would look at the fittings and locate one that I could unscrew enough to verify gas to that spot or not.
Can we assume the male portion of the quic connect is the right type and size to press whatever opens the connection as it goes in?
Just above and almost out of sight on the snip is a manifold. Fancy name which is just a set of openings to tie all the lines together. A really sharp fold in a line or one not tied on would seem a logical point for trouble. Can new lines come from the factory with blockage? Humm!
But can you see it and get to it to look or work on it?
Devil is in the details but there are no other parts showing between the manifold and your line and valve at the quick connect.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Richard. Am going to look at it next week. Most likely will just bring to the dealer.

Tags
propane, winnebago