Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2022, 03:03 PM   #1
JackandDiane

Smile First Time Winnie Owners 2017 ERA 24K miles

My husband and I recently purchased a nice 2017 Winnie. We have zero prior experience and are spending a lot of time in the PDF manual [he likes the paper one ] and buying gear for traveling.

We would love to hear any suggestions from those who have a 'don't forget' item....something you have learned and want to share.

We plan to boondock and to visit hookup camp areas. Right now my husband isn't retired yet so it will be shorter trips.

Very excited and enjoy reading the posts on the forum.

Randy and Saoirse [pronounced SEER-sha] Staub
Saoirsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Saoirse & Randy,
Your ERA sounds like a great motorhome for you two. You can see other's posts by searching for ERA. Just as a starter, you might like to make your own custom version of a checklist (example: Pitstop & Break-camp Checklist for a 22M.)
Another item which is sort of fun is to check-out the 2017 brochure for your ERA.
Remember that when you retire, every day is Saturday, and every night is Friday night!
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 02-03-2022, 09:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We enjoy traveling in our ERA. There are quite a few ERA-specific threads in the Class B forum as well as here; as Eagle5 suggested do a search for ERA and you should find lots of useful info.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:06 PM   #4
JackandDiane

Thanks

Thanks!! We are doing our first overnight this Saturday night at a hookup park a few miles from our home. I want to be close enough to run home for anything I forget Wish us luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Saoirse & Randy,
Your ERA sounds like a great motorhome for you two. You can see other's posts by searching for ERA. Just as a starter, you might like to make your own custom version of a checklist (example: Pitstop & Break-camp Checklist for a 22M.)
Another item which is sort of fun is to check-out the 2017 brochure for your ERA.
Remember that when you retire, every day is Saturday, and every night is Friday night!
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 02-10-2022, 03:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Check out this thread, not just because I wrote the long post. Lots of potentially useful info and things to think about.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...0c-361663.html
Old 02-12-2022, 04:16 PM   #6
JackandDiane

Help! First overnight, some lights work, not all. Maybe 12 volt switch over somewhere ? AC works , kitchen light doesn’t

Take pity on us & help Ty !!!������������������
Old 02-12-2022, 05:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Do you have the Coach house battery switch turned on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0128940-76D7-48B3-994D-91119CD867F4.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	747.1 KB
ID:	182006  
Old 02-12-2022, 07:08 PM   #8
JackandDiane

Thanks for the idea....I found it [near open slider, next to kitchen] and it is on...we are settled in and if we don't figure it out later tonight or in the morning...we will go by the dealer. It is quite an adventure!!! I am using my laptop from the bedroom/kitchen area now, it IS charging. Still missing ceiling, cab, gally, and awning light....fortunately bathroom is well lit
Old 02-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Maybe too simple, but have you checked the bulbs?

Are the lights switched at the light or somewhere else?
BarryLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:40 PM   #10
JackandDiane

It is maddening isn't it? We tried all sorts of combos, it is only a couple lights that don't come on: galley and front ceiling. The awning light is out but that one IS the bulb...

how would I check I bulb? The ones not working are the long ceiling lights, both worked when we picked it up a couple weeks ago. Some have guessed we haven't switched the 12 volt on...

This is one of a bajillion things!! [and I know a bajillion I used to teach math LOL]
Old 02-14-2022, 10:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

"how would I check I bulb?"

You can check with a meter measuring resistance if they are incandescent bulbs. If they are LED or you don't have a meter, swap them with a working bulb.

If it's not the bulb, then either there is a switch somewhere not turned on or you might have a contact/wiring issue.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLS View Post
"how would I check I bulb?"

You can check with a meter measuring resistance if they are incandescent bulbs. If they are LED or you don't have a meter, swap them with a working bulb.

If it's not the bulb, then either there is a switch somewhere not turned on or you might have a contact/wiring issue.
It's possible but unlikely there's a wiring issue. All your 12V lights, etc. are protected by fuses or small 12V circuit breakers in a panel. See page 79 of your manual:

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...r-manuals/2017

If they're push button breakers (common) they don't typically have a visual indication that they're tripped like a toggle switch breaker. Pushing the buttons will reset them. They'll be clearly labeled as to what they control.

If you have a multimeter or even an automotive-style test light, it's easy to test for voltage at the light.

I know your problem right now has to do with your 12V lights but a very common problem with 120V AC outlets has to do with the GCFIs. A tripped GCFI can affect all outlets "downstream" from it, so learn where they are. I'd guess that 80%+ of the posts about 120V AC problems are resolved by resetting a GCFI.

There are a lot more resources here:

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-resources
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
It's possible but unlikely there's a wiring issue. All your 12V lights, etc. are protected by fuses or small 12V circuit breakers in a panel. See page 79 of your manual:
Good point. I assumed any breakers/fuses were checked, but no reason I should have. Newer model, so I'd guess the 12v circuits are all circuit breaker protection rather than fuses like my older model.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Rent or buy the movie "RV" with Robin Williams in it, it will show you what not to do and is a Hoot to watch.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:52 AM   #15
JackandDiane

Yes fuses were checked...but right to assume not to assume...
The manual is a tease! I'll be back working on this tomorrow...and the big reveal [what is the problem...user? bulb? or button? will be shared]...

The battery switch between front and cab was on, that was one thing I tried.