Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2022, 11:29 PM   #1
Okimar

Finally got home to Tampa from Los Angeles with a 2006 Adventurer 38t

Wow... I can't possibly tell everything that is wrong with my new to me coach, but I'm pretty sure the previous owner's wife must have died and he drank himself to death on the bed after letting EVERYTHING get nasty as everything quit working.

But, despite all the problems, I only paid $39k and the W24 chassis, 8.1L Vortec with complete Banks cold air intake and header/exhaust system and 2100 Allison transmission has exceeded my expectations despite the 88K miles on it.

This thing will fly up steep grades if I drop the hammer and I love the ability to lock out 5th and/or 6th gears and the exhaust brake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220628_112241.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	515.2 KB
ID:	183511  
Okimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Ahoy Okimar,
It sounds like you did get a great deal on your new motorhome. It looks brand new, so hopefully you will get her in ship-shape soon.
Eagle5
Old 07-17-2022, 11:35 AM   #3
Okimar

Thank you.

It's amazing how you can't see problems from so far away! LOL

Before too long, I'm going to have to use plastic scrapers to remove every inch of caulk around everything and plan on replace it with new beads of Manus Products 75AM, including the roof radius.

Also, the black rubber (gaskets?) around all of the Windows seem to have shrunk quite a bit and need replacement.

I hope to find a long enough of a length of it to cut it to length as I go around all of the windows.

But, my next thing to do is install a replacement windshield wiper motor, have the left steer tire replaced due to a crack in the sidewall caused by the previous owner curbing it and install a new kitchen faucet and toilet.

I ordered a Dometic 510 toilet with hand sprayer that I ordered from etrailer after the first one I ordered from Amazon came in smashed.

I've order a braided combination flexible water supply line and cut off valve for the toilet to make installation easier and be able to shut it down before it can overflow.

The kitchen, bedroom and bathroom sinks are going to all be residential faucets, so I've already gotten the adaptors for connecting the RV supply lines to the residential faucets.

I could probably establish a YouTube channel if I shot videos of everything I have to do before I get back on the road again...

(To be replaced/installed: New queen short memory foam mattress, new light fixtures, replacing a missing fan blade on one of the overhead defrost fans in the cockpit, getting one slide to work for the first time since 2013, getting the other slide to open without further damaging the hindge of an outside storage compartment, likely replacing one or both capacitors in the basement A/C unit, replacing a sqeaky shock on the left steer, adding Sumosprings, adding a rear trac bar, adding a steering stabilizer and on and on and on...)

Thankfully, the previous owner already installed the complete Banks headers with cat back exhaust and Banks cold air intake, which I had decided would be an absolutely required with the 8.1L engine.

I really didn't care about what I would have to repair or replace as long as it had the 8.1L with an Allison 2100 transmission on the W24 chassis and I'm absolutely in love with it.
Okimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 12:03 PM   #4
Site Team

It sure sounds like the Florida Blazing Sun does indeed damage all of the rubber components!
Old 07-17-2022, 06:12 PM   #5
Okimar

True, it does and will, but this damage was done in Arizona.

It appears the previous owner died on the mattress and it ended up in an auction, where a guy from Los Angeles bought it.

I bought it from him and drove it home to Florida and am now trying to fix everything that has gone wrong with it. (It's going to take me a while...LOL)
Old 07-17-2022, 07:05 PM   #6
Site Team

I definitely now understand why you are replacing the queen mattress - good call.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #7
Okimar

Thank you.

Despite the problems with the coach, I do confess the guy that sold it to me did have the Banks full exhaust and cold air intake kits, so I'm extremely grateful for that.

The way I look at it, everything else is repairable or replaceable and I'll just taking it one step at a time.

Thank God for those that post great videos on YouTube to helps educate guys like me that enjoy helping others when I run across someone having a problem.

I just bought the best oil filter wrench I ever bought to a commercial truck driver last week because truck stops on the east coast don't typically sell them and his truck was in limp mode here in Florida with a load heading up to Maine and his wife in the truck with him.

I once got stuck like that and the memory of that is why I bought it at a Pilot on New Mexico 2 weeks prior.

It got him and his wife back on the road with the load and I can buy another one later since I don't need an oil change right now.

After all, I can just have one shipped to my house because I'm not living on the road, trying to struggle thru each day like that anymore.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:27 PM   #8
Site Team

That was very kind of you to help out that guy and his wife.
I was thinking about a video I saw done by Martin Mull in 1985. Martin shows a map where people live all over the USA. Then, he shows the map that shows the two states where people go to die. That was Arizona and Florida. Who knows; could be true. It was funny nonetheless.
Thanks, Eagle5
The Right Tool for the Right Job

Tags
adventurer, vent