Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electrical issue

Okay. I have a 2016 Navion 24j. The GFCI under the front of the bed kept tripping. I replaced it with a 20amp and everything worked. Went and got a 15 amp to put the correct amp in. Now the 15 amp will not work and when I put the 20 amp back in, it keeps tripping. Never have the breakers tripped. The outlets off the inverter work fine. As far as I know, the GFCI is connected to my kitchen outlet and the outlet above the vanity sink. Not sure what else is connected to it other than those. Any suggestions?
haaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:20 PM   #2

Is RV new to you? I.e., was your electrical system working fine last season?

Does it have anything to do with you running your generator? Or visa-versa, does your GFI only trip on shore power?

Do you have any loads connected and if so what are they?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have not checked it while running the generator. If only the outlets I am guessing are on the circuit, which are two plus the GFCI, I have had nothing plugged into them. All was working fine last year. I did leave a space heater in during the winter and it was plugged into the gfci outlet. Seemed to work fine over the winter. I have plugged a good fan and then a good hair dryer into the outlets and the gfci Trips with both appliances. If I don’t plug anything in, it obviously never trips. Both outlets trip when something is plugged in to them. I am going to try and check the breaker itself and be sure the ground to the breaker is tight. Just need to figure out how to gain access to the breaker. When you pull the front panel off that little brown breaker box the complete box with all the wiring comes out. Can’t see how to actually get the breaker out.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Wiring diagram

Found the wiring diagram. There are additional outlets and possibly other things connected to this same circuit
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 000180031.pdf (1.40 MB, 37 views)
Old 06-14-2021, 07:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

It is far less confusing when an item is only posted in one place!!!!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Yes, sorry. First time using this site. I have pulled every outlet and inspected that looks to be connected to this circuit. Can’t find anything wrong with them. I am not sure what else is connected to the circuit. I can set the GFCI, plug in a fan, it will run and when I go to unplug it, it trips the GFCI
Old 06-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

One small point that can drive us silly is that GFCI are very sensitive things and they can go bad much easier/quicker than other breakers and outlets.

So if you have a problem and it only shows when you are connecting/disconnecting an item, make sure the item doesn't have a bad cord or something but also be more quick to check that the new GFCI is not bad from the box!!! Some are just born bad????

It has to be so sensitive that it cuts power off in milli seconds so that we don't get shocked if we have wet hands but it also gets too fussy at times.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I think I may have got it fixed. The GFCI breaker that I bought is complete reverse of the GFCI that I took out and the GFCI I had on hand. The load and the line were upside down compared to the other two. All be is working at the moment although I have not had time to run appliances for a while to see if it trips. Will do that tomorrow. Working in a motorhome at 95 degrees due to no power will take its toll on the body.

Tags
electrical