Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2022, 07:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Battery question

I have a 2015 Journey and the batteries are original and built in 2014. Being 8 years old, I'm considering replacing them, however the question I have is what is their average life span? So far I haven't experienced any problems with them, but I also don't want to have problems on the road either. I'm the second owner of the coach and this is my first RV.
FB Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The average life span depends heavily on how they've been used and maintained (if they're not maintenance free). Eight years is a long time and even if they have some life left, I'd replace them, especially since you have no idea as to how they've been treated.

I assume these are your house batteries as opposed to your starting battery. A house battery failure while on the road isn't catastrophic since you're unlikely to be far from a shop. A starting battery failure while on the road can be problematical.

An important question is what kind of batteries are they? What you should get depends on how you'll be using your MH. If you'll always or almost always have shore power your needs are pretty simple. Another big issue is what type of refrigerator do you have, LPG/120V or residential? What's your situation with respect to keeping the batteries charged while in storage?

If you address these questions/factors for us, I'm sure we'll have some suggestions.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 05:50 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Another major factor regarding battery life is your climate. Batteries tend to have a longer life if not exposed to extreme temperatures. Freezing temperatures cause large drains on batteries and limit their recharge capabilities.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 06:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Both of you might want to consider completing your profile and adding a signature block similar to mine so we always have the basic information such as year/model and location. I know that some may have have privacy concerns about listing a location but even a state would help. All this can be done via the User CP.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I live in Texas so freezing is an issue, but it does get hot in the summer needless to say. The coach has a residential fridge, and I'm on shore power (110V) while not in use. It sounds like I should replace the two starting batteries right away, and not worry about an immediate decision on ther others. Do you have a recommendation for the two batteries?
Old 03-14-2022, 08:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB Thomas View Post
I live in Texas so freezing is an issue, but it does get hot in the summer needless to say. The coach has a residential fridge, and I'm on shore power (110V) while not in use. It sounds like I should replace the two starting batteries right away, and not worry about an immediate decision on ther others. Do you have a recommendation for the two batteries?
I have a gasser so I'm afraid I can't help you on the starting batteries. I'm sure some Journey owners will chime in.

In the meantime, what kind, type, size, and number of house batteries do you currently have? We can make some suggestions as to whether or not to replace them in kind or move to something different. That way you'll be prepared when you decide to replace them.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again.

Tags
battery