Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lightbulb Backup Camera Monitor

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forum with my 2003 33V Adventurer. I managed to upgrade a lot of features over the years so I may be of some help if you want to modernize your rig.

The one thing that has stumped me for a while is trying to replace the Sony B&W Monitor and Camera. The method I'm using now is not great but functional. The hole left behind from the monitor is 8"W X 6" H. It would be nice to find an after market Hi def monitor to fit in the space so it looks like part of the dash. Since the camera plug is proprietary and not made for HD, I replaced it with a wireless camera that works most of the time.

Does anyone know of a source for an acceptable replacement?

What I did currently is cut out a piece of 1/4 acrylic, painted the back black. Mounted it to the dash frame with specially made brackets then custom mounted a smaller monitor to the front. Acceptable but not perfect.

Other features I added or changed on my rig are as follows if you need help:
-Removed the old TV, rebuilt the front area with matching wood to accommodate a 32" LED Smart TV
-Replaced the BR TV with an LED smart TV
-Added an Outdoor TV using a simple bracket for easy removal and storage.
-Replaced the Vinyl faced cabinet frame members with matching real wood facings (not Veneer).
-Replaced hinges and handles
-Replaced dinette table with a puzzle lovers version with drawers and protection cover when eating.
-Upgraded the Odometer module.
-Upgraded the switching electronics with wireless remote features to all equipment.
-Added a quick disconnect LP connector for BBQ's and fire pits.
-Added a bracket for hanging a small BBQ for quick meals.

Looking forward to getting more ideas.

Thanks,
Frank
azfrankp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! You’ve made lots of great changes to your rig. Hopefully someone will have a good suggestion for your rear camera. Best of luck to you!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I just bought a 2003 Minnie Winnie and want to add one. I am wondering if mine is preplumbed with the wiring like yours.

Tell me about this dinnette table you got. "puzzle lovers"?

Do you find that the outdoor BBQ gets stains on the RV from the smoke?
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post
I just bought a 2003 Minnie Winnie and want to add one. I am wondering if mine is preplumbed with the wiring like yours.
If a factory option was offered when purchased than most likely the harness would be there. However, if there is no false plate or area built into the dash where it might go than not likely. My Class A came with it as standard equipment.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Do you find that the outdoor BBQ gets stains on the RV from the smoke?
No stains from smoke. The BBQ I bought is intended for hanging use. There is a top cover that angles up behind the grill to deflect heat and smoke. The grill has low BTU and is intended for light use. We primarily use it for breakfast or burgers on the road because it's fast and don't have to dig out our larger BBQ.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, makes sense
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
If you want to private message me, I can send you the plans of how I made one. It is my own design and not available commercially. Essentially, I used the original dinette as a template for the mounting hardware, support pole, etc. and made a new one out of plywood, hardwood and plastic laminate. Please note that I'm a cabinet maker so a certain amount of skill is required.

I made a 2" hardwood frame from cherry plywood with six 12"X 1 1/2" spaces around the perimeter for the drawers. The plywood table top was covered with plastic laminate and edged with cherry hardwood molding. The drawers were all made from 3/8" Plywood with a 1/4" cherry front. The drawer slides were simply aluminum angle that was mounted slightly below the frame so you need to move up slightly to open (stays shut while traveling). The front two drawers doubles as pencil, paper and utility drawers. Black turn knobs were added to the side frame to lock these two drawers in place while traveling. If I did it again, I would probably make these drawers deeper to hold silverware, etc. They were originally designed to hold just puzzle pieces and didn't want to impede into the space required for leg room.

The table is also completely removeable to use as a bed support when needed.

The entire top surface is covered with an acrylic panel with 3/4" sides that make a snug fit over the top for travel, eating, etc. without removing the puzzle.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I forgot to mention that if you are just looking for a way to protect puzzles while eating, traveling, etc., you can easily make your own cover.

Measure the exact length and width of your table. Add 1/2" to the width and 1/4" to the length and purchase 1/4" (or .220) acrylic cut to size from your favorite hardware store. Also purchase or cut to size 3/4" acrylic strips equal to the 2 X length and 1 X width. Carefully clamp these strips to the bottom side of the top piece making sure the face of the strips is flush with top edge. Clamp in enough places to make sure there are no gaps between the two pieces.

You will need a small quantity of the chemical MEK available at hardware stores. Use a small round pointed stick such as a wood skewer or broken pencil. Dip the stick into the MEK then along the inside corner of the top and side pieces. You will see the chemical run along this edge. Keep applying as much as necessary until the runs appear to cover the entire edge. Continue until all side pieces are done. Leave clamped for about an hour and your clear top is ready to go. NOTE: MEK is an acrylic solvent. It adheres by slightly dissolving the two edges. Use with a face mask in a well ventilated area and be careful not to drip any on surfaces that are important.

You will note that I only talked about 3 edges. That's because there is generally not enough room to put a side piece in the back where the hinge or mounting hardware is located. You may have to improvise using small screws and nuts through the top acrylic surface that would prevent the cover from moving forward when traveling.

Good Luck!

Tags
camera