Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
Van
Winnebago Camper

A new to me 1974 Travel Trailer

Hello, everyone.
I am not new to travel trailer camping but I just bought and old Winnie travel trailer that was in a field. It is in brought shape , but I plan on repairing it to make it usable. It has a window missing and someone cauked a board over it to keep out the weather. All the windows are caulked closed except the one in the bathroom (closet). The 12 volt wiring needs work. I started on that. The toilet works except the valve handle is broken off. The refrigerator works on ac at least. It appears someone started a restore but did not do much. I am trying to get registration. The state of Arkansas wants me to get 2 appraisals before they can register it. It will have to be added to my personal property tax list. It appears the label says it is either a model 156tt or 166TT. I am looking forward to the group interaction and some camping. Lightning hit my previous camper and it burned completely to the floor about 4 years ago.
The AC motor is bad but I have located one and ordered it. The AC is a 7000 but Duo Therm Brisk air. The AC is a puzzle of sorts as someone has completely disassembled the inside and part of the roof unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper passenger side resized.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	174893   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper drivers side.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	174894  

Click image for larger version

Name:	camper back.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	508.2 KB
ID:	174895   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper front.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	174896  

Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Looks like quite the project! I'd check out the bearings and brakes just to make sure it's safe and not likely to leave you stranded.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
Van
Winnebago Camper

Check the brakes

It is in my plan
Old 09-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
It is in my plan
Van...just before you start any expensive, or labor intensive work...I don't know if you are aware, that a lot of really nice camping resorts as well as private owned smaller resorts, have a Year of Manufacture, that they will not allow one to bring in a unit, that has been produced 11 years ago or more.

Most that do not, only allow for ten years of production date, or earlier!

Now..some will allow you to send them a picture of your older unit...in your case..DECADES older...where they might allow you in, because of the work you have done, (its appearance) but...I have a wish to warn you...they are few, and far in-between. If you intend only to camp (boon-dock) on Federal open range, that would be of no concern to you...but if not...I'd call a number of potential places, you and the family might want (wish to) visit/camp..and tell them your project...and ask outright, if they would allow you to attend one of their camping sites. Be prepared though...for some rejection. Thought you should know..unless you already did.

Sun Seeker
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
Van
Winnebago Camper

New unit requirement

I have never heard of such a thing. I have done quite a bit of camping with the 1977 Rawhide I had and never has anyone asked me what year it was made. However, I appreciate the warning. Mostly I camped it Good Sams when I was a member ,state parks, or national parks. I have stayed in KOA and locally owned parks. I have "boondocked" at a few Walmarts too.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
Van
Winnebago Camper

I got the new AC motor in today only to find I need to get a capacitor. I should be able to find one locally.10 MFD 370 VAC
Yesterday I go the 2 appraisals and I mailed the application for bonded title today.
I installed the motor except for the capacitor.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:28 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I have never heard of such a thing. I have done quite a bit of camping with the 1977 Rawhide I had and never has anyone asked me what year it was made. However, I appreciate the warning. Mostly I camped it Good Sams when I was a member ,state parks, or national parks. I have stayed in KOA and locally owned parks. I have "boondocked" at a few Walmarts too.
Yes, in the good ole days, this was never seen! Correct, but unfortunately...it is seen today. In fact, we have reservations for a great camping resort in Nashville. TN. THEY in fact, ask you what year and length your equipment is...with the year of manufacture limit. It is done, (as they see it) to protect your neighbors from the Beverly Hill Billy Camper, as well as one that comes onto the site..and uses the site as a base of repair operation. So..my suggestion..and I am now glad I mentioned it...is to call ahead to ANY place..ANY that you are thinking of towing this trailer(a 1974 model) to, and ask them directly...if you will be in fact, able to camp at their resort/state park/boon-dock, whatever, just so you will know for a fact before hitching up, Van..that you are not going to encounter any nasty surprises at the front gate! I have already (and I don't agree with this...!!!!) booked into three places that have unit-age-of-manufacture site restrictions. I don't agree with the practice..but it is out there, Van. FYI! This 'unit filter' is out there...
Old 09-10-2020, 02:51 AM   #8
Van
Winnebago Camper

Billy Bob campers

I appreciate your information. On September 15th I am having my prostate removed due to cancer ,so who knows what the future holds. It will be a while before I can take it out camping anyway.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:25 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I appreciate your information. On September 15th I am having my prostate removed due to cancer ,so who knows what the future holds. It will be a while before I can take it out camping anyway.
So sorry to have read that...and I wish you a most speedy and full recovery! The good news, is that you won't be getting up to go three or four times per night, like the rest of us old codgers...any more...you'll go like a 20 year old!

Good luck and fast recovery.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:57 AM   #10
Van
Winnebago Camper

Prostate cancer

That and high psa level were main symptoms. That is one reason I wanted a small camper with some sort of toilet to haul on my road trips. I live in Arkansas and have relatives in Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi. Frequent stops while traveling are currently required. I have pulled this camper with my Jeep liberty. It is much lighter than my previous camper. It pulls nicely. Since I am on medical disability I want to spend some time visiting family and taking in some sights on the way. Get your annual checkup. The cancer was detected fairly early so my outlook is good. Happy camping!
Old 09-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
... In fact, we have reservations for a great camping resort in Nashville. TN. THEY in fact, ask you what year and length your equipment is...

If it's Four Corners, you'll enjoy it. Brand new and spotlessly clean.

My 2701RBS was dwarfed by most of the units there
Old 09-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
That and high psa level were main symptoms. That is one reason I wanted a small camper with some sort of toilet to haul on my road trips. I live in Arkansas and have relatives in Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi. Frequent stops while traveling are currently required. I have pulled this camper with my Jeep liberty. It is much lighter than my previous camper. It pulls nicely. Since I am on medical disability I want to spend some time visiting family and taking in some sights on the way. Get your annual checkup. The cancer was detected fairly early so my outlook is good. Happy camping!
Thank you, yes, I have a PSA done yearly, and a Colonoscopy done every three years (oh boy..what fun...can't wait for the next one...!) So far (crossing fingers) both have come back, 'you get to camp for another year...'
Old 09-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberian View Post
If it's Four Corners, you'll enjoy it. Brand new and spotlessly clean.

My 2701RBS was dwarfed by most of the units there
Actually it's the Safe Harbor RV Resort, and we chose a Premium Water front, ajoinigng the lake. Man...you can walk to the back of your campsite..back to your little strip of private beach...and wade right in! Both my wife and I love Country Music, so wanted to be close to three things..

1. The Grand Ole Opry
2. Downtown and the country music bars (fun, fun....)
3. Close to four great and famous Southern BBQ Brisket 'n Ribs!

Safe Harbor has all three within reasonable distance!

We'll certainly check out your recommendation, as well. I play Bluegrass banjo and 12 string guitar, and enjoy campsites that allow you to pull out an instrument, and get er' done! Never been to DollyWood yet. Love that gal!

Near Lake Huron, we chose a campsite that doesn't allow any form of amplified music..being that you are mere meters away from the sound of the waves coming onto the pebbled beach. I agree with that...you should only hear crackling campfires, laughter around them...and the sound of the waves kissing the beach. Can't wait...have trailer...will travel! Fridge is stocked Pantry is stocked....(part of Pantry/bottom shelve =Bar) is stocked...ready to hit the road. The soundtrack to Easy Rider...drifting in my head...turn on the ignition...and heading North.

Tags
travel