Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2022, 06:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

3rd week in my 2108TB FLX

I'm going to winter in my FLX while I consider where I want my home base to be. Yup, jumping in the deep end. I've read most of the FLX related threads - thank you for taking the time to share your experiences in such detail, very awesome of you! I checked my Xantrex and Go Solar! settings and they are correct so that's good! I've had shore power so haven't really tried out off-grid systems yet. I did pick up a Wave 3 heater and already had a few other items to help stretch the boondocking time. I'm curious how I can reduce some of the vampiric draws, can I pull the fuse for the fridge, for instance, if I'm not using it? I've already made some mods but I will share in a different thread. Oh, and I took off the FLX and "earth/plug" stickers the first day...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221008_202034.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	805.5 KB
ID:	184368  
Sunny_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 09:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Sunny Dee,
The 2108 Twin Bed is a great floor plan, with the possible exception of no kitchen counter space. The flip-up is good, but here is an idea you might like for a little more counter space:
Roll-Up Over-sink Countertop
I hope you can find some nice campgrounds and places to stay. Being mobile with the truck and trailer is a form of freedom many never experience. I think it is going to be fun!
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 10-09-2022, 07:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I appreciate the suggestion, but I have awesome sink covers (which the floorplan doesn't show) I have a cute dish drainer that I like and it stows neatly under the covers, so I'm pretty set. Cheers!
Old 10-09-2022, 07:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Welcome Sunny Dee. Although I’m not a FLX owner, I upgraded, so, Ive got some of the electrical components you have. You don’t want to stop the vampiric draws if you’re using your FLX. Some are there to protect you. Except the Xantrex. It has a very high draw in standby. I found it helpful to install a dedicated disconnect for the Xantrex. That way, when I’m boondocking, I can just reach in the pass thru and flip it off. We rarely use the inverter function while boondocking. If we need to charge up the battery with generator, we simply flip it back on. Much easier than fussing around with the Xantrex app which loses its Bluetooth if you move around. Then you have to go through that quirky pairing procedure with the remote panel all over again.

If you have the Dometic 4101 compressor fridge, you’ll use less power if you set it to performance mode 1. The eco mode doesn’t work to well IMO, and the other mode keeps the compressor on all the time. We nominally use 50ah/day for the fridge.

Is that a Tundra or Tacoma in the photo?
Old 10-09-2022, 07:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the info! My fridge is a GE model gpv10fsnbsbt 13.5 amps, I have an Iceco I can run off portable solar so I was thinking of that as backup. Yes it is an 2010 Tundra, low miles though. In my experience they tow really well (pop-up campers, boat, horse trailer) I love it! I would like to add a switch to the inverter - have to see how brave I get. I have a Progressive Industries onboard surge protector I am hoping to add also so we'll see... I have read many of your posts. Thank you SO much for being active here ❤️
Old 10-09-2022, 08:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Helpful hint for less fridge draw, if you didn’t know. Try to park your Micro Minnie so the curbside is facing north. If it’s warm outside, shade the sidewall with awning, or tree canopy. Might not seem like much, but can swing consumption by 15ah/day or more. GE should have similar consumption as Dometic.

I asked about your TV because the Tundra has enough payload for you to carry a spare (3rd) 20lb propane tank. Keep it in a milk crate in the truck bed. Makes life so much simpler, especially if you have a propane generator, and eliminates any possibility of running out of propane, as the tank can be swapped out with one on the tongue.

Have a blast. And keep the clean side up.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

That is a good tip, I'm planning a desert trip so that will be key for sure. Sorry to be defensive about TV, some fellas give me grief for not owning x y or z truck (usually at horse camps - go figure). Because I'm full-timing I'm pretty close on weight, I did grab a little 5lb for super emergency backup tho.