Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2023, 05:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2018 Vista 29VE - ready to roll!

Hey all
I've only been lurking in this forum for about 48 hours and already have learned so much. I rec'd great responses to my first post about the pros and cons of the Vista 29VE vs 31BE, and yesterday we made our decision. On Friday, we'll take possession of a 2018 Vista 29VE. Can't wait to get it into a very big, very empty parking lot where I can practice driving. This is going to be a big change from my Kia Soul! Looking forward to getting to know you all better. ...Beth and Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	185050  
Bmblsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Congrats on your Winnie Vista may you enjoy many miles and adventures....drive safely and Happy Trails....
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmblsad View Post
Hey all
I've only been lurking in this forum for about 48 hours and already have learned so much. I rec'd great responses to my first post about the pros and cons of the Vista 29VE vs 31BE, and yesterday we made our decision. On Friday, we'll take possession of a 2018 Vista 29VE. Can't wait to get it into a very big, very empty parking lot where I can practice driving. This is going to be a big change from my Kia Soul! Looking forward to getting to know you all better. ...Beth and Scott
Hey that looks like mine

I need to go check. I have been so worried about the Catalytic converter didn't think someone might take the whole thing.

Congratulations.

One thing to check before taking possession. Have them confirm the epoxy on the hood mounts are firm. It is a design issue that over time is prone to failure if not firmly secure with epoxy. I believe most are, but it is worth checking.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations - enjoy the new adventures. Agree with dkoldman - check the front hood mounts and I'd put a safety strap on them so IF they come loose down the road you'll be able to retain the bracket itself and repair. I just took some parachute cord and tied it to the bracket and another point that's more permanent. I can't recall where that was but you'll see what I mean when you open it up.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the kind welcomes. Excited to be here.

And now for a teachable moment: what's a hood mount? (yes, we have a lot to learn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
One thing to check before taking possession. Have them confirm the epoxy on the hood mounts are firm. It is a design issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
Agree with dkoldman - check the front hood mounts and I'd put a safety strap on them.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

https://www.google.com/search?q=hood...LCKlG9uh0oWBHM

It's the front fiberglass piece that has the keyed "latches."

The metal brackets hold the front fiberglass "hood" onto the fiberglass front end. Above is a search that should shed some light - I ended up regluing and using screws - barely noticeable and fixed the problem for good.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thank you for the kind welcomes. Excited to be here.

And now for a teachable moment: what's a hood mount? (yes, we have a lot to learn)
They are metal brackets for the locking system or hinges that are attached to the hood by a really tough (epoxy) ?..glue which has been known to break loose then the hood will drop and hang by its hinges.... not pretty..There will be other maladies appear as you use your rig so be prepared and carry a the usual diy tools and stuff for on the road minor repairs....lets hope you will never need to use them...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have only known of the issue about 6 months. I lost one side back in June. This is link to the best thread on the subject. I take you right to when I found I out and you can read what I and many others did to resolve.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3921048

In your case, we raise just so you may ask the dealership to look at before you take delivery. They will know the concern and will be able to confirm if good as is or if they are willing to cleanup and secure with more epoxy.

I got lucky as my Mobile Tech redesigned the bracket to be held in place by steel frame around engine. I also got lucky that WBGO sent me the parts I needed for Goodwill. Have I ever said how much I love WBGO? 3 years going on 4 and they have been nothing but outstanding.

They took the bracket design from my mobile tech under advisement. It is good option for permanent fix if ever sheared off. But in your case, you can do your best to prevent the shearing or loss o0f a part.

Another check I would do...

Fill black and gray tanks with Fresh water and drive it around to ensure no leaks. The fitting above my gray tank was not connected / sealed. I learned about it on the highway at gas top with a full gray tank seeing water drip from lower bay compartment. I barely caught under warranty Took 1 week for dealer to fix and get back to me, did not cost me anything.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-24-2023, 10:25 PM   #9
Site Team

Not meaning any offense to others that mentioned the hood latches, but while the hood latch issue is fairly common it’s certainly not universal nor a first, second or third thing to check in my opinion. Nor is it all that major when they fail. I’d call that issue a nuisance. Good to know it can happen, but easy to solve if and when it does.

Let’s talk about the first three things I think a new owner needs to really be concerned about when purchasing a used Winnebago motorhome:

1. Tire dates and condition - once the DOT dates on your tires pass 5+ years replacement becomes something super important to learn about.

2. House and Chassis batteries - with a 2018 RV these can become a liability if the previous owner has abused the batteries over the past 5-yrs.

3. Roof radius drip edge sealing - something every Winnebago motorhome owner must learn about and begin routine inspections.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Isn't it "A" thing to check before talking delivery? Assumption from this OP is that all was fine good to go as pick up is Friday. That hood issue is something that I wish I had known before I took delivery. I had 150 plus items on my PDI. Yes it may be common, but common only for those that know ( I didn't).

It was pretty stressful for me, because I lost mine somewhere between Houston and Dallas and did not know it until later. Dealer wanted like $1,500 to fix I was out of warranty. The thought that I may have to use screws that would be visible on the hood made it even more concerning. I know some have used screws and are happy, but I don't have nerves of steel to screw holes in my RV hood.

Yes I survived thanks to WBGO goodwill, and $500 labor to redesign the bracket. That is my IMO anyway trying to be helpful, thus the flag.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:06 AM   #11
Site Team

DK, unfortunately I think your repair people took advantage of you. Most solve this issue with very minimal cost and effort. I think it’s criminal that your dealer wanted $1,500 to fix this issue.

When my coach was in for an oil change one side of the latch fell off and the shop fixed both sides without charge and just mentioned the fact when I paid for the oil change. But my shop is pretty great.

It is a nuisance that is for sure. But personally I wouldn’t check for it at PDI. I’d open the Hood to check fluid levels and if the latches were loose it would be evident.

We all have different concerns and perhaps now the OP knows about the possibility of a hood latch dislodging. Of course you were being helpful.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
DK, unfortunately I think your repair people took advantage of you. Most solve this issue with very minimal cost and effort. I think it’s criminal that your dealer wanted $1,500 to fix this issue.

When my coach was in for an oil change one side of the latch fell off and the shop fixed both sides without charge and just mentioned the fact when I paid for the oil change. But my shop is pretty great.

It is a nuisance that is for sure. But personally I wouldn’t check for it at PDI. I’d open the Hood to check fluid levels and if the latches were loose it would be evident.

We all have different concerns and perhaps now the OP knows about the possibility of a hood latch dislodging. Of course you were being helpful.

I didn't use the WGBO dealer to repair ($1,500). I also had quote a RV Service center in Alvarado, TX that wanted even more. They were doing a fix that involved thickening the fiberglass; so it encapsulated the bracket versus relying on epoxy.

The WGBO dealers IMO always takes advantage because their cost is always higher if you have to use. I tried to avoid which I did.

WGBO the Mfg has a documented fix that the dealers must adhere to and it does involve cleaning off all existing epoxy and prepping / sanding the inside fiberglass hood before starting the new build. I understand to be messy and tedious job? Also the Dealer was going to do both brackets even though I only had one fall out.

I had a Mobile Tech come to my house and fix it all permanently for $500.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:02 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Not meaning any offense to others that mentioned the hood latches, but while the hood latch issue is fairly common it’s certainly not universal nor a first, second or third thing to check in my opinion. Nor is it all that major when they fail. I’d call that issue a nuisance. Good to know it can happen, but easy to solve if and when it does.

Let’s talk about the first three things I think a new owner needs to really be concerned about when purchasing a used Winnebago motorhome:

1. Tire dates and condition - once the DOT dates on your tires pass 5+ years replacement becomes something super important to learn about.

2. House and Chassis batteries - with a 2018 RV these can become a liability if the previous owner has abused the batteries over the past 5-yrs.

3. Roof radius drip edge sealing - something every Winnebago motorhome owner must learn about and begin routine inspections.
We had our hood hinge fail in Western Texas. We were driving and heard a series of crashes and a large bump like we'd run over an armadillo. I was paying attention to the road, and it was completely clear. Pulled over and didn't see anything at first glance. Upon further inspection the entire hinge dropped down onto the road and hit the step, underside of 2 compartments punching holes in both, the exhaust, and finally almost ripped one of the gas tank supports off. Blew me away how much damage that one part caused.

I'd been warned, but hadn't checked it, mea culpa. I would put it at the top of the list to check before any trip if not repaired. Only takes 2 minutes.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
We had our hood hinge fail in Western Texas...Blew me away how much damage that one part caused.
Hum... both you and DKoldman were driving in TX at the time. Coincidence? Probably not. Anyway, you both made some good points, and in particular the additional damage it can cause if it falls on the highway. We're doing our walkthru/inspection on Friday before we sign the papers so will be sure to look. I've already alerted my salesperson to have one of the techs check, and referred them to the thread posted above for background. Guessing it won't be a surprise.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Great list! We used the tires as a negotiating tactic but in the end we acquiesced and took a $$$ gift card instead of having the 2 front tires replaced. Probably should have held out for the new tires. We also asked about batteries but we weren't educated enough to know what to listen for in the response. How can you tell if they've been abused? So, much to learn!

We'll be sure to ask about these during our inspection tomorrow. Getting nervous. Wish there was some way to do a Vulcan Mind Meld with y'all!
Old 01-26-2023, 06:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hum... both you and DKoldman were driving in TX at the time. Coincidence? Probably not. Anyway, you both made some good points, and in particular the additional damage it can cause if it falls on the highway. We're doing our walkthru/inspection on Friday before we sign the papers so will be sure to look. I've already alerted my salesperson to have one of the techs check, and referred them to the thread posted above for background. Guessing it won't be a surprise.
Is it possible to drive a RV and not be in Texas? You must be overseas or something

Can't hurt to look. The mechanics will know the issue, and it is one of those things that if noted loose they will only be too glad to fix as part of PDI.

Just so you know, when I did my PDI (In Florida), I used a PDI checklist that was actually for another's Mfg's coach... but an RV is RV. I actually did everything on the list except the roof stuff. At the time you could not pay me to get upon that roof. Yes, I did climb the ladder and look.

I had previously forewarned them of my list; so they came and went a few times while we checked everything and did not rush us. The Dealer and Sales Lady was great. We spent 6 hours. They fixed everything we saw Johnny on the spot and we rode out just as it was starting to get dark. As we we were leaving to go back to Texas the Sales Lady came back out and put a 12 pack of Heineken in the Ice Kold fridge. She later admitted that during a phone conversation a week earlier; she had discreetly got out of me my favorite beer. With that 12 pack, I had no fear, just like at home.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:08 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Welcome! I'm new here as well and have already gotten so much helpful advise and tips from the good people on this site.

We just acquired the sister to your rig,a 2018 27PE, We had a rigorous trip getting it home and a shake down trip to Myrtle Beach at Christmas. But haven't really gotten out and had a relaxing trip in it yet. I'm really looking forward to winter going away and fully using ours.
Rkice14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkice14 View Post
We had a rigorous trip getting it home
Welcome to you, too! We were to bring ours home today but opted to wait until tomorrow due to high winds - I'm a chicken! Good thing we did because when we got back home after signing the paperwork we couldn't get in our driveway due to all the drifting snow. Ugh. Minnesota. Love you; hate you.

We're looking forward to our shake down trip, but need to wait until we can dewinterize.

Enjoy your fun!
Old 01-27-2023, 05:25 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Good decision on waiting.

When you get it home, will you be able to plug in for charging? If not, I suggest disconnecting your neg battery cables if it's going to be sitting for any length of time. Battery discharge during storage is a big issue. There are a number of loads present on both your house and starting batteries even if your battery switch is turned off. It's not unlike your car, whose battery will run down if you don't drive it for an extended period of time. Here's a link to a Winnebago publication on the topic of "parasitic" loads:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...%20Systems.pdf

Here are a bunch of threads on this topic for you to peruse in your spare time:

https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...wners.com#ip=1
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote