Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 06:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2016 Navion J in Washington State

I have a Mercedes Sprinter Navion pushing 30k miles in 6 years.
I have mostly winterized the Navion, added insulation and forced air heaters to holding tanks, and added a trailer hitch carrier that holds a fairly quiet Yamaha gasoline generator with 6 gallon fuel tank that will take me through a night or two on either heat or air conditioning. We used it to do quite a few ski trips the last two winters when everything else was closed. I have all season radials which work ok in snow and ice, and have not had to use chains during the winter, (which are a bear to put on) I looked for rear axle limited slip but it is not readily available in the US. It is available but pricey in Europe.

The Navion drives like a dream. We had a larger motorhome that I didn't enjoy driving and my wife wouldn't. This one handles more like a suburban.
We're getting 14-15 mpg on diesel.

In 6 years I had a starter die, a generator go out, replaced the propane regulator, have gone through two stove lighting clickers, one bathroom fan, and replaced the radio/backup camera system when it failed. The overhead skylight literally fell out dangling by the connecting wires on a rough road when we first got it. The factory screws only hit styrofoam. Replaced with longer screws.

Minor complaints : the battery connect relay pulls 2 amps when 'on' which drains the battery especially when cold.

A second problem, and a reason I joined the forum : I can smell what seems like holding tank deodorant..sweet, sort of floral.. It drifts to the front on the road with the windows down just a little. Windows up and fan on its okay. Standing still camping its okay. I quit using scented holding tank capsules. The holding tanks don't seem to have any scent other than the expected.
I'll post more details somewhere. Anyone had something like this?

Good to meet ya'll.
dspdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #2
Living The Dream

Howdy! Y’all have a fun rig. Welcome.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum! Mission Ridge is a good spot for skiing and some winter camping. So, you said your genny quit. Is that why you are using an external genny? Oh, I can't stand the banging of the piezo stove lighters. I installed a AA battery powered unit in our last two MH's. Pretty simple installation too.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had a similar problem with tank odors this summer, like you said only when moving down the road. I installed a new toilet with a new floor seal so I know that's not the problem, but what I did learn is that the factory roof vent caps allow for positive pressure in the tanks, forcing some air into the rig. So my next project will be installing these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CZQ9Y6M...v_ov_lig_dp_it

PS My diesel genny works fine but is pretty loud and I am considering yanking it and replacing with a Honda propane powered unit although I will lose some capacity but still get by.