Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Yuck! $4/gal Gas Prices!

I just filled my gas tank up for the first time in forever: $235.50 ($4.00/gal at Costco)!
Old 10-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We're still under $3 in most parts of Tucson and $3.10-$3.30 for diesel. Prices are crazy on everything, I just got back from the hardware store and couldn't believe the prices of things! Drive slow!!!
Old 10-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Fortunately our destination is only 110 mi away.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #4
Site Team

I filled up a week ago when we returned from a month long trip - the price outside of San Antonio at HEB (Texas' famous Grocery Chain) was $2.64/gal. When we left for the start of our trip that same fill up was at $2.39/gal. So, locally it went up $.25 a gal in 4 weeks.

However, in a few mountain towns in Colorado the highest we paid was $3.89/gal. So, paying $1.25 LESS per gallon at home sure did ease the pain.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Wait for it. I read a Bloomberg article dated Sept. 30th that an oil futures option trader placed 1,300 trades for Brent crude out to Dec. 2022 at $200.00/bbl. Probably a rare event as WTI for the same date is at the seventy dollar level but not reassuring to read anyway.

I genuinely feel bad for California drivers as they consistently pay more for fuel than drivers of any other state. Your gas tax alone is twice the Minnesota rate.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Vita 24P

$4.39 for diesel, [Mod Edit] is a disaster.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Filled up at Costco in Mesa upon arrival here (AJ) 8 days ago at $2.95. (Today 3.09). RV Trip Wizard was set at $3.65 upon departure from MN , so still below budget.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:33 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I just filled my gas tank up for the first time in forever: $235.50 ($4.00/gal at Costco)!
Don't cry...try Regular at an Ontario gas station at $6.07/gal! There's a reason to shed tears...
Old 10-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Gas

We are staying in Laughlin and across the river in Bullhead City, gas is $2.76 at the Sams Club. We did a day trip down to Lake Havasu and drove through Needles, CA. Gas ranged from $5.00 to $5.19 a gallon.
Ridiculous!
Old 10-15-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC521 View Post
We are staying in Laughlin and across the river in Bullhead City, gas is $2.76 at the Sams Club. We did a day trip down to Lake Havasu and drove through Needles, CA. Gas ranged from $5.00 to $5.19 a gallon.
Ridiculous!
We have friends that live in Fort Mojave. It was a great place to fill up before crossing into California, headed home to WA state.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #11
Site Team

The September Inflation numbers from Shadowstats were released:

The "average rate" forecast for 2021 based upon the eight month increase from January 2021 to September 2021:
CPI-U = 4.87% ÷ 8 × 12 = 7¼%
1980 Standard = 10.08% ÷ 8 × 12 = 15%

The "most recent month" projection for the next year using the one month increase from August 2021 to September 2021:
CPI-U = 0.27% × 12 = 3¼%
1980 Standard = 0.54% × 12 = 6½%

FYI; Eagle5
Old 10-15-2021, 01:15 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I bought a new 2018 Harley V-Twin in 2018. To fill my tank, in that year, on average was $14-18 dollars. (Ontario, Canada) This last week, with my normal amount of gas still left in the tank, it was $39.00. I'm still in shock that a motorcycle leaving the pumps, would leave behind that much money now for a full tank.

I really believe that if gas goes much more up in price, that a lot of us...a lot of us...will be giving serious thought to selling our recreational/lifestyle toys...RV's. T.T.s, motorcycles, boats, 4 wheelers, snow sleds, and bring out our cross country skis, bicycles, and hope you can still afford in Retirement, to put gas into the car, van, pick-up. It might come to that for a lot of folks over the next few years....and not even mentioned is the inflated cost to maintain and to INSURE those toys...
Old 10-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
I really believe that if gas goes much more up in price, that a lot of us...a lot of us...will be giving serious thought to selling our recreational/lifestyle toys...RV's. T.T.s, motorcycles, boats, 4 wheelers, snow sleds, and bring out our cross country skis, bicycles, and hope you can still afford in Retirement, to put gas into the car, van, pick-up. It might come to that for a lot of folks over the next few years....
I believe everything is going to get better. Hang in there just a little while longer.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Gas prices will be high when people start to drive at the speed limit. Otherwise it is not at all important to 99% of the people out on the highways. Most of the cost in California is in state and federal fuel taxes as we motorists heavily subsidize the trucking industry with road construction and maintenance costs.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:24 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
Gas prices will be high when people start to drive at the speed limit. Otherwise it is not at all important to 99% of the people out on the highways. Most of the cost in California is in state and federal fuel taxes as we motorists heavily subsidize the trucking industry with road construction and maintenance costs.
We must know two different 99 percent 'people'..LOL. The 99 percent I know, or speak with...that's ALL they are talking about, in the last few weeks, the ballooning rising cost to fill the tank. Believe me, I'm not part of the 99 percent you feel, that the price to run a mile down the road, is...'not at all important'. I don't seem to run in that crowd's circles, LOL! Nope...

"Heck, I don't EVEN KNOW (!!!) anybody that is part of that '99' percent! "

Cheers,
Old 10-16-2021, 10:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Well,
I've been saying it for decades. There's two entities on this planet, that NO ONE will ever be able to control. One is OIL COMPANIES, and the other is INSURANCE COMPANIES! They've been giving excuses to raise rates, at their leisure, for eons. And no one can stop them. OH, it's time to change blends, Oh, it's a refinery down for maintenance, Oh, it's harsh winter in the east, Oh, it's problems in the middle east, Oh it's........

The excuses are endless. We (all us drivers here in the U.S.) get to pay the price. I doubt the executives of these companies are feeling the "pinch" of higher prices. Oh well. At least one of my toys gets over 50 mpg.
Scott
Old 10-17-2021, 07:44 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
I've been saying it for decades. There's two entities on this planet, that NO ONE will ever be able to control. One is OIL COMPANIES, and the other is INSURANCE COMPANIES! They've been giving excuses to raise rates, at their leisure, for eons. And no one can stop them. OH, it's time to change blends, Oh, it's a refinery down for maintenance, Oh, it's harsh winter in the east, Oh, it's problems in the middle east, Oh it's........

The excuses are endless. We (all us drivers here in the U.S.) get to pay the price. I doubt the executives of these companies are feeling the "pinch" of higher prices. Oh well. At least one of my toys gets over 50 mpg.
Scott
My Harley gets 47 mpg at 60 mph or below. That at these prices is still, as you suggest, doable. When pulling our trailer...our van drops from 28 mpg, down to 12-14 mpg...and that translates to only moving on down the road, 240 miles on a 20 gallon tank. That tank now in Ontario, at $6.07 (per U.S. gallon) is: $121.00 CAD. So...taking an average WEEKEND RV trip now in Ontario, at 600 miles return (average) can rack up just in FUEL, today, is now: $303. CAD.

So, in open honesty, a person that did not pull, or drive an RV...could drive in their car/van/pick up...the same miles return, stay in a hotel/ or motel, get back home, for the same price, and have no further costs to initially buy, to store, maintain, and insure, an RV or T.T. Some present R.V'ers are not even getting 12 constant mpg to date!

I think most feel there is, or was...'savings' in travel and accommodation when they first thought to get into Recreational Vehicles, years ago...decades ago...besides the campfire and weenies aspect. So...as the price of fuel soars to add to the cost of even getting 'there'...it will be to a lot of present RV and T.T'ing folks...a point of discussion between married couples, or life partners.

We also have in Canada, a Federal Carbon tax that is going to add in the next few years (it automatically now climbs/adds every year..) to actually seeing $1.10 CAD added to the cost of a U.S. gallon from BEYOND the gross price of $6.07 it is today at the pump. The U.S. shortly will be implementing a Federal Fuel Carbon Tax, (it is being looked at by the present Administration) so...American fuel users will feel that impact as well as we current Canadians.

Like I said above...I know for myself, the price of fuel will hit our final recreational 'point', whereby my wife and I at least will be having that morning coffee clutch discussion on whether we divest, and just take pointed weekend or week trips, booked into motels or hotels, OR..do we actually pull out our family tent once more, and 'Coleman' it. Especially on a fixed income! We even have discussed going back to a nice pop-up, perhaps, as we had at the first of coming out of a family size tent years ago. We love our present Winnie 1706FB of course, but, perhaps, perhaps a new 'luxury' pop-up, might come after that. We are living in uncertain financial times...and that for us, might be the 'answering ' of those times. Being open and honest, here.

We won't be ignoring the ever rising and escalating cost of getting to the campsite. It's a real concern I believe, for (the 99 percent) of people engaging in recreational travel even today.... My personal opinion, of course.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
Don't cry...try Regular at an Ontario gas station at $6.07/gal! There's a reason to shed tears...
unfortunately that's how you pay for you're "free" health care although I will be contributing to that next year on my way to Alaska
Old 10-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I remember going up to Acadia in August 2008. Nobody was there, diesel was $5.25 / gal
No one from states other than the northeast states. September the crash came, and cleared the way.
It’s coming, get ready.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:22 PM   #20
WinnieAdven38

FireUp - You are awful quick to condemn the oil industry without looking at reality.

* The price of automotive fuel in the USA has been consistently the lowest in the world. Just look at prices in the UK, Europe - or even Canada.
* Those changes in seasonal gasoline blends are because of government mandates to try and control emissions - not because the oil companies want to do it.
* The oil companies have done a magnificent job of making gas & diesel fuels widely available anywhere in this country so that you and I can travel anywhere, anytime, and fill up. They have set the model for efficient distribution and supply chain processes.
* What pushes fuel prices higher are taxes - which is why CA has the highest fuel prices in the country. They not only have high fuel taxes, but their high levels of sales taxes are added on top of that - so Californians are paying taxes on the the taxes! There is something for you to complain about - double taxation.
The products are very much the same - but where they are sold has everything to do fuel price variations.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas