Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Some would call it envy and I guess in fact it is but the people on this forum are a wealth of knowledge and mechanical ability - it blows my mind.

I am not nor have I ever been blessed with an abundance of thsoe skills. First of I am not physically able to do as much as most of you (have a heart transplant and I'm just getting old). I try to do as much as I can myself but when it comes to anything heavy or tearing things apart and putting them back together I suck!

So I've tried to find good dependable mechanics and now my dealer to help me. So far so good - this is my 4th year with a Class A and have learned a lot with my first one - hopefull my Suncruiser will be much kinder to my wallet.

So "Kudo's" to all you guys who do your own work - you're my hero's!!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Some would call it envy and I guess in fact it is but the people on this forum are a wealth of knowledge and mechanical ability - it blows my mind.

I am not nor have I ever been blessed with an abundance of thsoe skills. First of I am not physically able to do as much as most of you (have a heart transplant and I'm just getting old). I try to do as much as I can myself but when it comes to anything heavy or tearing things apart and putting them back together I suck!

So I've tried to find good dependable mechanics and now my dealer to help me. So far so good - this is my 4th year with a Class A and have learned a lot with my first one - hopefull my Suncruiser will be much kinder to my wallet.

So "Kudo's" to all you guys who do your own work - you're my hero's!!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Don't feel like you are all alone in the mechanical department.
Reading about the problem and finding a answer is only half the battle for most of us. Trying to get someone to fix it when we can't do it ourselves is the other half.
Patience is a must when we have a Class A..Take your time and Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'm kind of in the same boat. And I also envy those of you who can diagnose and do a lot of mechanical things yourselves.

I will try anything but am not mechanically inclined. It seems like all males who own motorhomes can do all these things but I'm the exception ...I don't understand a lot of what you all talk about.

I can tear anything apart but just can't put it back together again and have it work!!

Me too ...all of you amaze me that you can all do this stuff yourself! ...and thanks for passing all your knowledge on to others.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Fixing broken things.

Well it is already not working. So I figure if I take it apart, I might get lucky and figure it out. Otherwise I have to take it to get it fixed anyhow, so what do I have to loose.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeeperrmartin:
Fixing broken things.

Well it is already not working. So I figure if I take it apart, I might get lucky and figure it out. Otherwise I have to take it to get it fixed anyhow, so what do I have to loose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some mechanics charge double if you already tried to fix it.

Still I too will give it a shot if I think I have a better than even chance of getting it done right.

So far the only times I have been burned is when I don't try first and farm the job out. I wish I could back charge the dealerships for cleaning up after their mechanics blunders and sloth. Oh well....

Remember this is supposed to be fun!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

This forum serves as a giant, virtual "think tank" - some bring experiences to the forum ('been there, done that') and some bring excellent diagnostic skills.

The larger and more active the forum is, the more we all benefit! So you lurkers - jump in there!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I do allmost all my repairs. If I get stuck on something I know I can go to this form and get help. The high cost of fuel have made me do my on repair and put the money in my fuel tank instead of repair bills.The greaties day for dealer is when your warranty runs out.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Rocket Heart: You may envy those on here with a great deal of knowledge but I have a great deal of admiration for individuals such as yourself who have the bravery, courage and mental strength to go through an operation such as yours. You have my utmost respect and I wish you the very best and many happy years of enjoyment. Take care.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fun time:
Rocket Heart: You may envy those on here with a great deal of knowledge but I have a great deal of admiration for individuals such as yourself who have the bravery, courage and mental strength to go through an operation such as yours. You have my utmost respect and I wish you the very best and many happy years of enjoyment. Take care. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Fun Time - I really appreciate that - I am a very blessed man and thankful for each and every day. My MH is my airplane, hotel room, vacation spot and the way the family stay's together.

All my best to all my friends here on the forum. And one last plug for organ donors...if you're not already please consider becoming an organ donor....my donor is Cory Cumberworth - he was 16 years old and saved 7 others with his gifts of life.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hey Rocco! We just wanted to say we really enjoy your picture of your rv, my wife and I smile everytime we see it. Thanks for adding a little "mystery" to our lives!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Lets see on our 8th RV. started in the 60's.

Did no know much of anything. But you learn when you get an RV. Ask for help. Or trial and error method.

There was no forum when I started to get help.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Easyrider:
Hey Rocco! We just wanted to say we really enjoy your picture of your rv, my wife and I smile everytime we see it. Thanks for adding a little "mystery" to our lives! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Off-topic:

*laughs* Hi Steve. Yeah, I used that as an avatar when I was shopping for an RV when I joined this forum back in 2003 and just haven't had time to update it with a pic of the rig I finally purchased.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #14
TEO
Winnebago Camper

I've never had a problem taking something apart and putting it back together again. Of course, I've had to live with all the extra parts that never went back in the project.

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote