Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Well it certainly sounds like you got railroaded. But some of this pain, your pain is self inflicted. I know that sounds wrong but you could have handled it as a wary consumer with eyes wide open.

Here is what I’m saying. Check out the people you are buying from before you write checks. Do your homework. Second. When you picked up your rig and you waited around for 4.5 hours. You should have just left and canceled the deal. When they locked the door on you. You should not have driven the RV off the lot, canceled the deal again. When you picked up the RV and it wasn’t right. You should have not taken it home with all the items still not fixed. What I am saying is that you keep setting yourself up. If you pay someone for a product and it isn’t right. Don’t accept it, hand it right back.

You have 3 business days to cancel any deal. If you never take possession, your not responsible for the product. Remember you have the money and they want it. Make them earn it or turn off the money. If you take your RV in for service and they don’t fix it and they want paid, tell them no. I’ll be back when you fix the items I brought it in for. If it’s on the bill it needs to work. If it’s not on the bill it doesn’t need to work!
Medobson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

We bought a 2018 27BHSS and it’s great. One issue. A very small water leak on a window. Not bad got a house on wheels.
Medobson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:47 AM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
How about they raise their own MANUFACTURING STANDARDS and quit producing junk? It's the same for all the major RV manufacturers now; the units are selling so they just keep churning out more problems that the buyer has to deal with. I don't understand why some people are satisfied to spend big bucks and then have to drive to the factory, maybe more than once, to get the proper repairs made.
I am not one to defend Winnie but, from 2015 through 2017 all manufacturers were confronted with problems with their slider mechanisms (which come from outside sources), parabolic demand for recreational vehicles due to low oil prices/low interest rates/baby boomer retirements, and a changing workforce from older more experienced wellpaid workers to younger untrained workers, just as the demand for employees were raising everywhere. QC went out the window, only provided by the dealers, as no one had anticipated this growth. I believe that the manufacturer now has everything under control, and that most dealers have begun to ramp up service areas to accommodate more rigs... obviously, there are always a few bad apples, but I saw La Mesa in Port St Lucie FL turn from a nightmare shop in 2012 (our first rig) to a pleasure in 2017 .. treat the service writer with respect and they will do good by you. A good service writer can move things along and be the QC you need on your repair... I use David Elder in PSL and have been very pleased...and our 2015 42HD was a nightmare!!!!
bartts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Had the same issue with both La Mesa locations in the valley. It is such a shame that they are the only game in town for several brands. We now also make the trip up to Affinity. BTW Galpin Ford in Dewey is great for service. Always able to get an appointment if you try them ask for Kathy in service.
rtdavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #45
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartts View Post
I am not one to defend Winnie but, from 2015 through 2017 all manufacturers were confronted with problems with their slider mechanisms (which come from outside sources), parabolic demand for recreational vehicles due to low oil prices/low interest rates/baby boomer retirements, and a changing workforce from older more experienced wellpaid workers to younger untrained workers, just as the demand for employees were raising everywhere. QC went out the window, only provided by the dealers, as no one had anticipated this growth. I believe that the manufacturer now has everything under control, and that most dealers have begun to ramp up service areas to accommodate more rigs... obviously, there are always a few bad apples, but I saw La Mesa in Port St Lucie FL turn from a nightmare shop in 2012 (our first rig) to a pleasure in 2017 .. treat the service writer with respect and they will do good by you. A good service writer can move things along and be the QC you need on your repair... I use David Elder in PSL and have been very pleased...and our 2015 42HD was a nightmare!!!!

I should have been more clear in my post; my criticism is for the entire RV manufacturing industry... not just Winnebago. I am appalled by the number of complaints against them and no improvements at all that I can see.

I'm glad you had a good experience.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medobson1 View Post
You have 3 business days to cancel any deal. If you never take possession, your not responsible for the product. Remember you have the money and they want it. Make them earn it or turn off the money. If you take your RV in for service and they don’t fix it and they want paid, tell them no. I’ll be back when you fix the items I brought it in for. If it’s on the bill it needs to work. If it’s not on the bill it doesn’t need to work!

In California you do not have 3 days to cancel a contract.

This only applies if you are approached at your home, not if you go to a dealers lot.
Flagstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #47
Winnebago Master

The real problem in 2018 is the tremendous increase in demand for all types of RVs. Obviously the manufacturers are strained to produce the orders they have with the net result being a poor quality product produced by many employees new to the industry. The dealers likewise have added staff - read inexperience- and the end result is a real backlog in the service process aggravated by the many manufacturing defects that shouldn't be. It is definitely not a pretty picture and there isn't a simple solution.
Based on many of the issues identified in these forums, most people do not resort to reading the manuals and fail to realize the extremely high complexity of many RV system. From my perspective, the best way to resolve an issue with new RVs is to read the manual, search for a solution in these forums and than try to fix it yourself. I - like many seasoned RVers - have more storage for tools in the coach than I do for clothes. I know that new entrants to RV'ing have invested many thousands of dollars and expect to be treated as well after a purchase as they were during, but that doesn't seem to be the case based on the posts here. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #48

“From my perspective, the best way to resolve an issue with new RVs is to read the manual, search for a solution in these forums and than try to fix it yourself.”

Agreed, bobmac! But I probably don’t take as many tools as you do. I need lots of clothes to remain a snappy dresser.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:45 PM   #49

Very concerned that a moderator on the Winnebago forum is so negative on....Winnebago.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:21 PM   #50
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Very concerned that a moderator on the Winnebago forum is so negative on....Winnebago.

Perhaps you should read my post again; I stated that I am disappointed by all the manufacturers... not just Winnebago.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:48 PM   #51
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
why?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #52

Perhaps I did.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:26 PM   #53
Site Team

I know that many, especially many that search for help with problems on their RV on forums have real horror stories. I’ve had 5 RVs from 4 different manufacturers. So like a lot of you I know about build quality issues, dealer issues, warranty issues, etc.

But compared to many other brands Winnebago has been vastly better in my experience. I’ve had problems with my new coach, sure. But the dealer - LaMesa Albuquerque - and Winnebago customer service have done a good job taking care of things.

I’m on my way home now from a factory repair trip that took care of just about everything. And what wasn’t fixed they’ve been keeping in touch and working to make everything work correctly.

Never forget that folks with problems come here for help and answers. So yeah a thread like this is going to display some real serious problems. The folks with great experiences and few issues are not spending near as much time here or posting in this thread.

Not everyone is unhappy with their dealer, or Winnebago for that matter. I’m just saying....
Old 05-28-2018, 09:33 PM   #54

“Not everyone is unhappy with their dealer, or Winnebago for that matter. I’m just saying....”

I’m not unhappy, Creative.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:11 AM   #55
Forza Fanatic

LaMesa RV Phoenix - AVOID

I'm always reluctant to bash a business publicly, but there are some that totally deserve it, and it isn't right to withhold accurate information from other potential buyers. On the other hand, it seems universal that it is much harder to identify an RV dealer that provides actual caring service to any customer, so when one does find the exception, that too should be shared.

With that stated up front, I'm not going to recount in detail my miserable, expensive experience with LaMesa RV in Phoenix, AZ. Suffice it to say, my ordeal was very similar to jeepfamRV's experience as a new buyer... the post only a couple of weeks old that launched this 4 page and growing conversation. After failing to get ANY problem resolved by LaMesa with the new Fleetwood Pace Arrow we purchased there last year, we have since dumped it. It's day 1 problems may have finally been resolved at Camping World in Longmont, CO. But they now have it for resale, and that rig is behind us, thank God.

Our original motorhome was bought 2 years ago from TransWest in Longmont. A Winnebago Sunstar LX 27N. Obviously, it is gone too, more due to our ignorance of what we wanted and what we were getting than a dissatisfaction with Winnebago or our dealer, though. We realized we really wanted a DP, not a Ford chassis and V10. Now we're back to a Winnebago, a Forza 36G. We bought it from Camping World, Longmont. There were several issues with it from the outset, but most are completely resolved now, and we LOVE the motorhome. We've learned, too, that NO RV dealer is perfect, but we've found one that is good, whose staff appears to care for its customers, and whose team is almost as persistent as am I. (Maybe a little exaggeration, but as close as any dealer will come to it, I fear.)

Now I know that I've read bad reviews of Camping World in general, even of the specific store we've come to appreciate. I'm learning that if you find a dealer whose reviews are mixed, not almost all grossly BAD, you might have found a dealer with whom you can work. Be very detailed in all your communications (best done in writing), and work at being complementary and friendly. That pays off, I've found.

Buyers, good luck out there. Don't be spontaneous. Look hard, question hard, and research thoroughly. Be picky but nice. That's one person's advice, at least.
Whlsdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #56
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
You’re not alone. By agreement with dealer I Can’t share our experience here. But it was not fun.
That is pretty messed up that even the dealers know how bad it is and dont seem to be doing anything about it until things escalate, Even to the point they dont want you talking about it.

It seems like most issues should be caught on the "300 point inspection" that most dealers claim to do. Heck even the simplest thing like a full inside and outside clean up wasnt done like I was told it would be. So if they arent going to wipe the RV down I guess there is no way they would do further inspections.
jeepfamRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #57
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartts View Post
We also had a nightmare experience with our 2015 Winnebago Itasca 42HD. Unit was floating around from several dealerships, but was in cosmetically & mechanically good condition. We bought it from La Mesa RV in Port St Lucie, Florida. (Just in case you do not read further, La Mesa did good by us!) After being in the shop for 2 weeks to repair minor items, we took it for a test trip. Long story short, nothing functioned as it was supposed to! Sliders did not open consistently & when they did , often would not close. Doors would not stay closed. Trim fell off inside and out. Sliders rattled while driving, window shook, bulbs flashed inside for no reason, number bed would not inflate. It was a mess! We contacted Steve Hamm, regional service manager for Winnebago, who spoke with La Mesa. La Mesa quickly stepped up and over a 6 month period resolved every problem! Winnebago then extended outs factory warranty by 6 months to cover the inconvenience. Our problem was related to the poor manufacturing & quality control done by Winnebago, not the dealer... I suggest you contact the local Winnebago rep, explain your issues and allow them to get it fixed...btw, we had a problem on the road with a slider, called Steve Hamm and were able to go to the factory and have it fixed while we waited 3 days. They know there are problems with their rigs, and are working hard to resolve them when given the opportunity. Bart in Florida

Thats sounds like it worked out in your favor in the end. How and where would I find the local reps info?
Old 05-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #58
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Multiple repairs, long punch lists, and weeks at the dealer seem to be the new norm.

I also got such bad warranty service that I felt I had to gear up and learn to do everything myself. Now, a few years later, I won't let those RV Dealer "techs" anywhere near my rig.

BY THE WAY, your sewer outlet's "aim" is easily adjusted to better point toward the hole in the compartment floor - just loosen the 8 bolts, rotate, and Bob's your uncle...
I wish the sewer aim was that easy. The gray water elbow actually sits 3 inches lower than the black water elbow and the outlet is in the middle. So when draining the black water rushes past the outlet and fills the grey water elbow first before filling up enough to go out the outlet. Yes the grey then pushes most of the black out after but it never fully drains out of the pipes and after driving the next time I go to empty things its sitting at the cap and comes out all over the cabinet and on me the first time.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #59
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medobson1 View Post
Well it certainly sounds like you got railroaded. But some of this pain, your pain is self inflicted. I know that sounds wrong but you could have handled it as a wary consumer with eyes wide open.

Here is what I’m saying. Check out the people you are buying from before you write checks. Do your homework. Second. When you picked up your rig and you waited around for 4.5 hours. You should have just left and canceled the deal. When they locked the door on you. You should not have driven the RV off the lot, canceled the deal again. When you picked up the RV and it wasn’t right. You should have not taken it home with all the items still not fixed. What I am saying is that you keep setting yourself up. If you pay someone for a product and it isn’t right. Don’t accept it, hand it right back.

This is all understandable and much easier said then done. When I have bought 3 other RV's in the past and havent had even a bit of trouble close to this one, why would I expect any different.
Plus in Arizona there isn't a 3 day grace period or cool off period on buying RV's.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #60
Winnebago Camper

Wow Jeepfam,
I thought we were having a bad first RV experience.
My wife and I purchased a 2017 Winnebago View 24G about two months ago. We've had nothing but trouble with various systems not working, slide out motors failing, various cosmetic things broken, the battery died once we got home, etc. All that as well as the customer service at our RV dealer was underwhelming. They neglected to inform us new owners - two people who have never owned an RV - of so many "real world" things regarding the RV systems that we were never sure if any of our problems were user error, or the system was broken.
In the past two months, the RV has been in the shop for over 3 weeks.
I hope, after all the bugs are fixed, your travels are smooth and leisurely.
UncleGoat is offline   Reply With Quote