Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #1
2016 Itasca Sunova 35G

Word to wise - Don't carry loads in Kitchen Sink!

Have a double bowl sink in my 2016 35G Coach, which my wife often loads up with stuff before we go on a trip to keep it contained. It should have occurred to me, but didn't - that doing so would be a problem. This last trip she loaded up 4ea., 1 gallon water bottles in the sink. Weight - about 33 lbs. Needless to say, carrying that much weight in an under-counter mount sink became a major problem. When we got to our first campground on the trip, I walked to the back of the coach and discovered that our sink was now in the bottom of the cabinet. Only thing holding it up was the drain pipes.

Used some straps and a few boards to pull it up until I could get to our final destination to see what I could do to repair.

What a job. Cabinet door below the sink is 9" wide. Too small for me to get my chest through to install rear clips in new locations. Thought I could get access by entering the drawer cabinet next to sink. It had a bottom drawer opening of about 9 3/4". Still too small for my chest to fit through. Finally saw that I could remove the bottom horizontal stile between the bottom two drawers and could gain access there. Got the job done, everything put back together again and sink caulked in.

Needless to say. Nothing gets carried in that sink again.
spydorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Good tip. That was a lot of weight, and it was magnified greatly by any bumps encountered while driving.
Trend_Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Good suggestion not to load down the sink. The most we carry in the sink is some fresh vegies siting on some bubble wrap to soften the vibration.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Holy hell! I load mine up with the booze (in plastic bottles). No more!
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydorman View Post
Have a double bowl sink in my 2016 35G Coach, which my wife often loads up with stuff before we go on a trip to keep it contained. It should have occurred to me, but didn't - that doing so would be a problem. This last trip she loaded up 4ea., 1 gallon water bottles in the sink. Weight - about 33 lbs. Needless to say, carrying that much weight in an under-counter mount sink became a major problem. When we got to our first campground on the trip, I walked to the back of the coach and discovered that our sink was now in the bottom of the cabinet. Only thing holding it up was the drain pipes.

Used some straps and a few boards to pull it up until I could get to our final destination to see what I could do to repair.

What a job. Cabinet door below the sink is 9" wide. Too small for me to get my chest through to install rear clips in new locations. Thought I could get access by entering the drawer cabinet next to sink. It had a bottom drawer opening of about 9 3/4". Still too small for my chest to fit through. Finally saw that I could remove the bottom horizontal stile between the bottom two drawers and could gain access there. Got the job done, everything put back together again and sink caulked in.

Needless to say. Nothing gets carried in that sink again.
Wow oh wow - there’s always something to catch you.
I was at sea for twenty plus years - and however experienced my crew were - always something to make you think - “why didn’t I think of that?”
At least - you weren’t a thousand miles or so from the nearest land.
Thanks for bringing the problem to our attention.
MarinerGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Aye...in the ocean, you look at things from a zero-gee prospective. This is a bloody surprise! Always a lesson to be learned!
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Geeze, we started out with a 5er, then a 2011 Winn Tour 42qd and now a Newmar Dutchstar 4366 and we have never put anything into the sink for storage.

We have a toaster over and 2 coffee makers (12 cup grind and brew and a Keurig) out all the time. And yes, we make coffee while underway and never n issue (knock on wood).

By the way, we are talking about 100k miles combined.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Wow, who knew. Never would have thought of that. Thanks for the info.
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-29-2021, 04:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I guess I'm old now. I'm a "learn as I go" guy still. I often discover things I don't know, but, should have known.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxWinny View Post
Holy hell! I load mine up with the booze (in plastic bottles). No more!

puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I try hard not to leave items loose in the motorhome that would essentially be a missile straight toward the driver and passenger during a emergency braking.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:13 PM   #13

Thanks for the warning. Our double sink only get the drying rack, soap, and dish rags, but it's good to keep this in mind.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We have a leaky faucet on the galley sink, and i can't figure out how to access it. The cabinet door is about 9" wide and to the right are the 3 drawers about 9" wide! I have no idea how to get under thesink!
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

DesertRatt, longer arms and fumble fist will get it done. Lie there with your head poked under there long enough and keep trying. Eventually, you'll find a way.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:34 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I think I'm going to use a saw to cut a wide access panel into the aisle side of the sink cabinet. Then I'll make a cover panel slightly larger and trim it out so it looks like it was the original design. This will give me access to the plumbing and the water filter. A fair amount of work, but maybe worth it.
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:56 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

We just do what we have to do. That's a fact of life.
I'm glad you found a sensible way to master the problem.