Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I plan to replace the Sony TV in my motor home with a LCD TV. The new LCD is 5/8 inch wider than my cabinet opening. How best to widen the hole? Is there some way to attach a router to trim the sides of my cabinet. See photos below. Photo of left, bottom corner shows one side that needs to be widened.

2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I plan to replace the Sony TV in my motor home with a LCD TV. The new LCD is 5/8 inch wider than my cabinet opening. How best to widen the hole? Is there some way to attach a router to trim the sides of my cabinet. See photos below. Photo of left, bottom corner shows one side that needs to be widened.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My son is a woodworker, he says that a local cabinet shop can remove that for you easily.

In my hometown there is a woodworking shop at the Senior Citizens center, the guys in there would love to help you do it.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Rex - I like the idea of using a router. Make a template from MDF (actually the template would just be a narrow board) and use a pattern bit to follow the template. Or use a bushing/collar in the router base to follow the template.

The Sony TV I looked at several months ago would require widening the opening a couple of inches.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

LK23
Can you get the existing TV out without removing the surround? If you can, I think your best bet would be to remove the TV and then remove the side pieces. Chances are very good that the side pieces are held in with "pocket screws" on the back of your sides, these are screws put in holes that area angled so that the screws go through the ends of the side pieces into the adjoining board. The screws usually take a #2 square driver (Robertson for our Canadian friends). There a usually 2 screws at each joint. Once the screws are removed, gently tap each end of the side piece to remove it. In your photos, it looks like there may be some sort of molding covering the outer edges of your frame, if so, you'll have to slide the side pieces inward or remove the molding. Once the sides are out, I'd trim 3/8" off the edge of each side (this would leave a 1/16" gap on each side of your new TV) with a table saw.
I see the use of a router as problematic. First, if you're going to try to do this without removing the side pieces, it will be very difficult to attach a straight edge guide so that it's square and flat to your side pieces with the molding in place. Second, a router is going to leave a rounded corner at each end, which you would then need to clean up with a chisel.
I hope this long-winded reply is helpful. Good luck.
Chas
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I agree with ChasA. If you can disassemble the frame pieces, it can be cut in a table saw. If it is simply a butt joint held together with pocket screws, you may be in luck. If it is a firmly-glued lap or mortise-and-tenon joint, it may be difficult to get it apart.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Have you thought of setting the new screen in a bit to re-gain a bit of the newly created space?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I would use a small base router with a 1/16" thick three wing cutter set at 3/8 inch and use the inside of the frame as the guide and then finish the inch or so at the top and bottom off with a panel/cabinet makers saw (fine tooth saw with 0 set).

Get two with a 1/4" shank and go steady and easy keeping the router base flush with the frame. The first can be used for practice on some scrap material in the shop and the second in case you mess up the first on your practice run.

I would be tempted to mount the TV on a hinged frame with a good solid latch so I could have access and use the space behind for storage lining the space with shelves etc.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I installed my new 32" Sony set back into the opening. It to was a little wider than the opening but recessed very nicely. I did not want to get into removing wood as there was too much opportunity to screw things up.
It looks very nice and prevents the LCD from vibrating against the opening as we travel down the road.

Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Wow, great ideas. Thanks

Removing the boards will be difficult. They run from the bottom of the TV to the top of the equipment cabinet above the TV. They are 50 inches long. I also expect they are glued in place. I have not removed the Sony TV so I cannot see the backside of these boards. Since they extend to the top cabinet I can see the reverse side there. Each board has a triangular shaped board running lengthwise, forming the corner. No screws can be seen so it is probably glued in place.

The router idea sounds best but I am not sure I can do it myself. When we return to Colorado I will find a cabinet shop and see if they can do the job.