Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2021, 02:26 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

I would think of two things in a trailer that would belikely to still be drawing a bit of power but not much.
There are safety items that the builders do not want to get involved in liability if things go wrong! One is the CO and propane detectors, which take very little power but would be really high priced if they got blamed for what "could" happen!

In a motorhome, you may have a different set of power drains like automatic locks, radio presets and ignition items, so it is more difficult to deal with them.

Batteries are one of the things that we have to kind of do what fits the exact situation we have as storage in the North is going to involve different things than one where it might never freeze.
Batteries or going outside, both take a little thinking to get it right. Watching the battery water is often one of the things we forget and that can cost us, no matter where it is!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #22
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Winter Battery Maint.

I have been reading the posts for many years. This imparts a lot of wisdom and I would trust three people and if I did not agree with them I would think long and hard: (1) Creative Part ==> https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...art-40566.html (2) Morich ==> https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ch-222053.html

There are several other excellent and major contributors who are here for the long run - listen to them. I too have written much on various blogs and it is repeating the same items over and over: Above is very important information to cut n paste and put in your troubleshooting guides.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Lot of posts here. Don't gang your batteries together. That's bad, and that is why there is only a momentary switch on the rig. If very cold where you store your rig, they need to be removed. If not cold, then you can get a tender keep them changed back and forth or 2 tenders, or fully charge and then disconnect them. Don't keep ANY loads on - it just provides warmth for mice. Note your rig has a chassis solar panel. If in the sun, it will help keep the chassis charged - but mine does not work good enough outside with no cover so I need a supplemental charger.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:57 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
Interesting stuff. I have a 100 watt solar panel that keeps my battery fully charged when stored in season between uses. I turn the battery disconnect knob to cut off the power to most everything. The electric tongue jack and the slide out are not affected by and operate even with the disconnect turned to “off”. I assume this causes some drain, but my experience with storage for several weeks at a time in season, is that the 100watt solar panel is sufficient to keep the battery charged even with this drain.

Based on this, I see no reason to remove the battery for winter storage of 4-5 months. Am I correct or should I still remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger in the garage?
When I had FLA batteries, I brought them inside in winter and put them on a NOCO. FLA can freeze and cause damage. Now with LiFePo4 there’s no need to bring them inside, but I still do, but do not connect to NOCO. If you leave batteries in trailer, you should take the terminals off the batteries to prevent parasitic load.

Tags
battery, maintenance, winter