Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

We are starting our search for our first motorhome and have had previous rental experience with Itasca but not Winnebago. Looking at the current models, there seems to be a lot of duplication on layouts and features but I can't find anything that speaks to the substantive differences between the brands, if any. Can anyone give me a quick snapshot on that subject?
Camel Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We are starting our search for our first motorhome and have had previous rental experience with Itasca but not Winnebago. Looking at the current models, there seems to be a lot of duplication on layouts and features but I can't find anything that speaks to the substantive differences between the brands, if any. Can anyone give me a quick snapshot on that subject?
Camel Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

From what I have read there are not huge differences. The Itasca line seems to get a few extras installed that you don't see on the Winnebago line. Sort of the Ford & Lincoln type of deal. It also allows them to have 2 dealers in the same market.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Biggest difference is going to be in the options, Itasca often has standard features that aren't even available with Winnebago.

Frequently you will hear that the difference is in how many mirrors there are, Itasca seems to overdo them in my opinion, but has a slightly higher trim level.

We would have gotten an Itasca, but I did not care for the color options available when we were looking.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The Clock Meister has it right. More things come standard on the Itasca as it is Winnie's upscale Line. Cost more dollars too.

Its really a matter of choice as the Chassis, Floor Plans and Engines are the same for the most part.

Merry Christmas
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Our current MH is an Itasca, our pervious was a Winnebago. The only reason we have an Itasca is that the dealer (Flagg RV, W.Boylston, MA) beat the Winnie dealer by $8,000. The Itasca has a few more options included but there is realy no difference to speak of.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

As an Itasca owner, there are more "subtle" differences than meet the eye. True, many of these differences can be purchased through the Winnebago line, but several are not even offered. For instance, in my year (2006), Ultra-Leather was not an option on a Vectra where it was an option on the Horizon which influenced my decision. Another example are the material lined cabinets on my Horizon (standard) which are not even offered on the Vectra. There are many more "subtle" differences which would make me choose an Itasca product over its Winnebago counterpart every time.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

What has been stated is right on the money. What I would suggest is that you look at the standard features of a Winnebago model you are interested in and the comparable Itasca model. Then look at the option list for both and decide what you want. Then cost out the two units with the options. You may find that after adding options to a Winnebago unit you have pushed the price up to the Itasca with the same items that are standard. If that is the case the Itasca would be a better buy because of the items you will get that are not available on a Winnebago unit.
You can call Winnebago marketing and they will send you the price sheet for any unit. It will have the MSRP for the unit and all of the options for that unit. Deal with the MSRP numbers for your comparison and then you are comparing apples to apples. Don't try to factor in any discounts until you know what you want.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote