Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago vs. Itasca

So, why the two brands by the saw manufacturer? What are the key differences? Is this the Chevrolet / GMC comparison? Take away the body emblems and they appear to be virtually the same. I'm thinking there must be more defined nuances, yes?

Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We had a '01 Adventurer 35B, an '05 Suncruiser 37B and now a '10 Journey 40L. There is no real difference now. Our '05 had stainless appilances and some extra mirrors but now we couldn't find any diffrences. We really like the way Winnie builds MHs but would not care which of the two we'd get. Find a good dealer and a good price.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Why 2 brands

They are the same except for color options. When Winnebago Ind. wanted to expand the number of retail locations they ran into problems with franchise laws and geographical sales territories. Therefore they created Itasca and got around the problems.
TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Originally the difference was the platform the units were built on. Winnie was a Dodge frame and I tasca was Chev. The interiors were also quite different. The Winnie's were of a darker more sedate and the Itasca was lighter.

Usually, there are subtle diffeernces to this day as there are some things standard on the Itasca that are extra or not availlable on the Winnie! Both are very similar these days as the frames or pllatforms are the same.

Have had both and both are great quality.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Most RV mfg'ers have far more that just two "brands" ...at least Winnebago has kept it relatively simple!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

A marketing matter. Franchise dealers and the packaging of options.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

All of the above, plus I believe Itasca is sold as a complete unit and a Winnebago can be built as you like.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

TXUSGUY,

That is interesting- thanks for enlightening us, I never heard of that before. Some of the other responses were great too! Just when you assumed you already knew the answers already...you never stop learning things here.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Yes, lots of interesting responses. Much appreciated!

Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #10

My 1986 has 3 names, Winnebago-Itasca-Elandan.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

A few years before we bought our coach in 2008, the Itasca line cost a little more and offered more items as standard. In most cases, you could add the options to the Winnebago and get the same thing for about the same price. There were subtle differences like arched cabinet doors in one line and straight doors in the other even though which line had the arched doors changed from year to year. As stated earlier, the color schemes are different.

Here in the Tampa FL area, the dealers carry both lines. In other locations, the dealers only have one line to offer.

I would pick the line that has the color scheme that you want or the dealer that you want to work with (if they only offer one line).
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXUSGUY View Post
They are the same except for color options. When Winnebago Ind. wanted to expand the number of retail locations they ran into problems with franchise laws and geographical sales territories. Therefore they created Itasca and got around the problems.
This is the story I heard when we bought our new Itasca as well. It allows Winnebago Industries to have a greater density of dealers than they could otherwise manage... at least in some areas. I see no difference these days other than packaging and marketing.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I read that in the 70's GM made a motorhome called the Itasca. They decided to let Winnebago manufacture them. Later Winnebago bought them out and decided to keep both lines separate. Both lines had fans and since they were making the Itasca anyway, it was easy to keep both.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:16 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I heard tell but never personally verified that there was a time ago when the finishing detail on the Itasca were more then the Winnie's. As the story went the drawers in the cabinets were mitered in the Itasca but not in the Winnebago. I got my rig from a dealer that sell both lines and and looked and looked over the years and have not found this to be true today.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Took the Winnebago tour in June & was told that there is no difference between the units. The tour guide also stated that Itasca was created when they wanted to use a Chevy power train. Apparently there was some longstanding agreement with the Winnebago name & the Dodge power train.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

At least in 2006, the Meridian came one way: Fully loaded.
While you can get there with the Journey, it takes lots of check boxes to do so. When we looked at Journeys there was maybe one in a dealer stock that was on par with the Meridian, option wise.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

About $20,000 difference in the same line item. I was told, and I looked and saw that the interior of the Itasca is a little more elegant than the Winnebago.

Take a look at the top line Winnebago, and then the Itasca Ellipse.

All the other responses are more than likely a combination of everything different.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Nope

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Itasca come on the market in 1975 using the Chevy chassis. There were a couple Dodge based models in 1978 but otherwise they were mostly based on the Chevy chassis in the beginning. While Winnebago still mostly used the trademark "eyebrow" front end until 78, all Itasca units had the new swept front design from the beginning which was all part of the new marketing concepts of that era. Winnebago itself also went to the swept design in 1979. One must remember that one of the original Winnebago goals was to provide an affordable coach that would be accessable to allmost all economic levels. Even today, if you compare the Winnebago vs Itasca Company profiles on the web site you will notice that the Itasca brand description includes an innovation theme (like the original migration to a new design) were Winnebago is more your common bread and butter theme. From my perspective at least, the migration back into fifth wheel and towable units in addition to the ERA Class B offering is in line with the original concept of providing affordable RV's to the masses. In this economic environment one must be flexible and responsive to market trends. So is it really just Winnebago vs Itasca or is it the overall lineup that provides a wide varity of price points, offerings and features?

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Ours is winnbago itaska sunova

Dragging a 2011 Honda CRV 2006 Gold Wing Trike
mutt dog ( My buddy) and the boss woman
Roger D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, winnebago