Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2022, 10:38 AM   #1
Site Team

Winnebago to debut Electric RV

Winnebago is preparing to unveil an electric powered Class B RV at the Tampa RV show this week.

Little is known about it right now. So, we'll have to wait and see.

I know that about 7 or 8 months ago I was sent a very long online questionnaire about my interest in buying an electric powered Class B. This questionnaire revealed a few of the details they planned and mostly centered on range - which if I remember correctly was about 125 miles on a charge.

Here is all that's available right now:

Quote:
Winnebago Industries, Inc., a leading outdoor lifestyle product manufacturer, will reveal an all-electric concept motorhome developed by the company’s Advanced Technology Group (ATG) at the Florida RV Super Show in Tampa, according to a press release from the company.

The onsite vehicle and display will be augmented by a virtual Facebook event at 2 p.m. Eastern time on Tuesday (Jan. 18).

Winnebago Industries continues its innovation legacy with the reveal of an all-electric concept motorhome, a milestone in the two-year plus development of the vehicle. ATG was established in 2019 to identify and develop emerging technologies for application within future products and services in the company’s various business units. The all-electric concept motorhome is the first public facing example of ATG work streams and demonstrates a commitment to innovation and sustainability with product electrification, connectivity and improving user interface experiences for customers.

Winnebago Industries ATG leaders will be on-site at the Florida RV Super Show to reveal the all-electric concept motorhome. The concept motorhome will be available for viewing by show attendees at the 760 North Midway display area.

For further information on the virtual reveal and to register for future product updates visit www.WinnebagoInd.com/Electric.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I do hope the range is much higher than 125. I don’t think many folks would consider that sufficient.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

At 125 mile range that would double campground costs assuming one would use campgrounds, so I'm wondering where the savings would be. I guess where ever one stops to re-charge they could nap.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:31 PM   #4
Site Team

We’ll, they have revealed this new all electric Class B at the Tampa RV show. Not a lot of details and this is billed as a concept only at this point. No pricing is available.

Here’s a link to more info:

https://tfltruck.com/2022/01/winneba...t-reveal-news/

And yes, range is 125 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5BBFBB63-3B6D-42F3-9BA1-7938B6BB95F8.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	181753  
Old 01-18-2022, 05:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I guess non electric camp sites are off the list. Wait until the camp grounds get wind of the higher electric usage too.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Keep the 86kWh battery but use an ICE power train… then you’d really have something!
Old 01-18-2022, 08:53 PM   #7
Site Team

For many this is obviously a non-starter. But… it’s an important first attempt. It’s not for sale it’s a concept that people will discuss and this discussion will help with future thinking.

Many are extremely negative about electric cars in general, naturally they will feel just the same about such a concept as an RV.

Tesla sold just under 1 million cars in 2021. New, more capable electric cars and trucks are being introduced every year. Any RV company that doesn’t even look into this is missing the boat.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:04 PM   #8
Site Team

I’ll give them an A for effort with current technology, but battery technology needs to advance to make this practical, especially given the AC/Heat Pump, Frig, Stove, Water Heater are also all electric. That may eat into the 125 mile range if buyers expect dry camp. I didn’t see info on solar, but you can only put so many panels on a class B. Good try, Winnie. Keep it up!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

We have a plug-in hybrid SUV and I love it, so I’m definitely not someone who is opposed to electric vehicles in concept. In the near term, it does seem to me that the these b-class rigs could benefit from something like a plug-in hybrid powertrain. The ICE being there for range, climbing hills, and highway cruising (and charging while underway if needed) while also having a very big battery to use for driving (when you want it) or to conserve for boondocking. Regenerative braking makes downhill grades easy and charges the battery too.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Of course, the good PR this concept will bring to Winnebago from the general non-RVing public is likely much more valuable than the actual practicality of the project. To non-rvers Winnebago is the RV industry and for them to be first in this area is a major coop.

The KOA I’m staying at right now is building a row of new sites to be outfitted with Level 2 electric vehicle chargers. The staff said they expect to have them operating by this summer. As to who will use them? Who knows?

This will not likely be a smooth process but stuff is happening and money is being spent on these initial first steps. Even if it doesn’t actually make a lot of sense right now.

It will be in the news soon. Don’t be surprised if your non-RV friends that know you have a Winnebago bring this up to you, “Hey, how about this electric RV? Are you going to get one of those?
Old 01-19-2022, 08:47 AM   #11
Site Team

Here’s one of those news stories today.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/19/winne...-era-of-rving/

Here’s their take on it…
Quote:
As one of my colleagues said, “Electric RV’s – so hot right now.” And he is right. As the benefits of electrification and the higher voltage systems that come with it start to flex their muscles over the antiquated 12V systems in ICE vehicles, the people who have the most to gain – campers and work crews – are starting to come around.

All we need to do now is get that range to about 250 miles (200 miles while towing) and we might actually have something.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:50 AM   #12
Site Team

A little more:
Old 01-19-2022, 08:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

As a Tesla owner since early 2013, we have a lot of experience with long distance trips in our Tesla EVs.

As a concept RV, this is a good start - but more range (much larger battery pack) will be needed. The eRV has 125 miles of range with an 86KWh battery pack, and can recharge at a high-speed charging station in about 45 minutes (will take much longer using 30A or 50A RV site power).

With this range, on a road trip, you'd end up stopping for 40 minutes of charging every 80 miles - and that's if you can find a high-speed charging station - which is difficult today outside of large cities, unless you have a Tesla.

Winnebago's eRV concept vehicle is a good start - but may not have a large enough market to commercialize.

Winnebago could build Class B or C eRVs based on eTransit or eSprinter chassis, as long as they were able to use larger battery packs than what Ford or Mercedes will likely use for commercial applications (commercial delivery vans usually drive less than 160 miles per day).

And if Winnebago partnered with Tesla (who is now considering opening their Supercharger network to other manufacturers), Winnebago eRV owners would be able to charge almost anywhere.

As EV owners, we'd be interested in purchasing an eRV, but only if it had enough battery capacity to allow us to drive several hours between charging stops.

Until then, Winnebago could start transitioning the RVs to all electric by eliminating propane and installing much larger battery packs (that could run air conditioning). You could still have a generator that ran off the chassis tank - so you could recharge the batteries without shore power.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:42 AM   #14
Site Team

When they sent me a survey on this product the first question was would you consider buying an electric Class B Van. I answered no because I’m not in the market for a B Van.

So after that question there was no more to say. No matter how many miles range it had.

It is interesting that the appliances will be high voltage. That’s something new.

I think we’ll see the Travel Trailer with 80-100 kw of batteries next. To use with the Rivian and F150 Lightening.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

If travel trailers are provided large battery packs, another interesting option is to power the trailer wheels - so they can reduce the load on the tow vehicle.

We have a Cybertruck reservation and if/when we are asked to place our order, we will take a look at trailer options as a replacement for our View 24D.

We were early adopters with our first Tesla - when there were very few places to charge. We'd be willing to be an early adopter for an eRV or an eTruck with a trailer (the current EV SUVs don't have enough range), even if travelling would be more difficult. But 125 rated range is too low for long distrance trips...
Old 01-19-2022, 10:29 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
If travel trailers are provided large battery packs, another interesting option is to power the trailer wheels - so they can reduce the load on the tow vehicle.
That’s the plan. It will even be self-powered via an app for parking without a tow vehicle.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Powered trailer axles... probably doable but just give me visions of the tail wagging the dog. The level of engineering would need to improve by an order of magnitude before I’d trust the towables division with powering the axles (except at speeds below 5 mph).

Something a bit easier to achieve and quite useful would be a big battery pack and regenerative braking on the trailer axles.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:23 PM   #18
Site Team

Here’s Thor / Airstream announcement:

Plus they announced a Class B Van with 300 miles range but even more difficult to travel with it has a hydrogen fuel cell.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/19/elect...iphone-moment/
Old 01-19-2022, 04:38 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Before purchasing our 2021 View, we had looked seriously at purchasing an Airstream to tow behind our Tesla Model X 100D, and gave up when we realized the 300+ mile range would be reduced to around 150 miles - plus each time we would stop for charging, we'd have to disconnect the trailer, making road trips take much, much longer.

It looks like Airstream developed a new 19' floor plan for their eStream. The ability for the eStream to reduce the load on the tow vehicle could help considerably when using an EV for towing.

Though... When you stop for charging the EV - in order to continue using the eStream for propulsion, you may also have to charge the eStream batteries.

It's an interesting concept - and if they put it into a larger floor plan, like the 20 or 22, it could be a replacement for our View in a couple of years.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:43 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

ZF makes some really nice stuff. Their involvement gives me much more confidence. I’m really enjoying their 8-speed auto with built-in electric motor/generator.

Tags
winnebago