Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Just a little bracket to reinforce the top of the mudguard itself. Nothing to do with the way they are mounted.

If you have a unit that meets the requirements of this campaign, you should be notified shortly by your dealer.

Models effected are certain 2002-05 Journey's, Vectra's, Meridian's, and Horizon's. Diesel pushers with air suspensions mainly.
FYRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Just a little bracket to reinforce the top of the mudguard itself. Nothing to do with the way they are mounted.

If you have a unit that meets the requirements of this campaign, you should be notified shortly by your dealer.

Models effected are certain 2002-05 Journey's, Vectra's, Meridian's, and Horizon's. Diesel pushers with air suspensions mainly.
FYRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the FYI...

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

FYRMAN,

Can you provide more specifics? Have you received your bracket? If up to the dealer it may be quite a while before we are notified. Does Winnebago have information on this? Is it a self install item?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I just recieved my notice from winnebago and I am taking my 39 k journey up to have the brace put on the mud guard, it is for diesels with air suspensions
video man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I just received my notification today. Called dealer and made appointment to have bracket installed.

Just a note, I complained about this almost a year ago when my mudguard fell off going down the highway. Very poor design,the way it mounts, when you dump your air the coach crushes the top of guard and rips a hole in the rubber. Winnebago replaced it without hesitation. I knew this would be a campaign 12 months ago.
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I just received my notice in the mail as well.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:12 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I haven't received a notice in the mail, but I'm sure not going to change what I have. Last fall they ordered a new one as mine was not far from falling off. It didn't arrive (mh was at dealer for 3 weeks) and we headed to Florida. They found it a month later. Our MH has been at the dealer for 50 days now (May 11) and this was on the list. We said we like the dealers fix much more than putting a new one on. The dealer bolted the MG to a thick steel bar that had been drilled for the U hangers. I can't imagine the modification is any stronger so I'll stick with what we have now - much better IMO.

NOW, on what might be the GOOD news front. They called today to say our MH was ready - so we will pick it up Tuesday. Yesterday, I learned from Winnebago that they and the dealer had decided to address our rust problem and they have shared the cost of doing something. I gather they had an independent contractor in to remove the rust and undercoat. Now I've got my fingers crossed that they did it in such a way that the undercoating doesn't mask continual rusting. Hopefully, they used Extend or POR15 before the undercoating - but I'm not betting on that being the case. If what they did works and if they've addressed the other problems properly (gennie bolts, black flush, and buckling floor tiles, etc) we will be happy - at last. There is NO doubt in my mind that the basic and major systems are really good as I've said many times before (Cat, FTL, Allison, Norcold, A&E, central air, etc. etc). So if they are all working in harmony now - GREAT.

At this time I feel far more positive about the situation than I have since we took delivery over a year ago. I'm just hoping that the batteries haven't deteriorated and that the tires aren't flat. They don't seem to check such things very carefully.

I'll report on Tuesday.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Is it the dealer or the factory that sends the alert? Just moved & neither have my address.
I have had to straighten the guard out myself, but it does not look too secure. I think it is damaged when leveling where the front end is raised. I have heard it hit & I also have a small dent in my exaust pipe in line with it.
Vern in Duvall, Wa..

2004 Vectra 40 AD Cummins 350 W/Banks power package
2004 PT Cruiser, GT, Turbo, w/5 speed
Blue Ox Avanta 3 & Blue Ox tow plate W/Brake Buddy
Good Sam, long time Thousand Trails, & considering FMCA
Old 07-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem on my 04 Horizon. Winnie sent me a new mud flap and the the reinforcement that protects the bolts from pulling through the rubber. It amounts to 4 small plates pre drilled. You bolt the plates on both sides of the hole and reinforce it so it wont pull thru. Each plate is about 1 inch wide and 3 inces long with three holes. Very simple fix. I'm writing this from the ferry while crossing between Nova Scotia and New Foundland on a WIT toue of Atlantic Canada, Great Fun.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I got a new mudguard installed 3 weeks ago (crushed/cut by dumping air to level the coach) sans the reinforcement bracket. I then received the notice in the mail from Winnebago on 6/30. Called the dealer up and they said it be at least a couple of weeks before they got the kit in. It never ceases to amaze me how uncoordinated some things can get.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by funhouse:
Just a note, I complained about this almost a year ago when my mudguard fell off going down the highway. Very poor design,the way it mounts, when you dump your air the coach crushes the top of guard and rips a hole in the rubber. Winnebago replaced it without hesitation. I knew this would be a campaign 12 months ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your help Bruce!

I received notification from Winnebago last week...two days after the darn thing fell off. Carpenter's Campers, in Pensacola, said; "No problem. We'll replace it at no cost to you." Now all that I have to do is drive from Atlanta to Pensacola.

Steve
Old 07-07-2005, 05:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I received the letter and called the local Winnebago dealer. They said the part is on back order and don't know when they will have it. I didn't purchase my Horizon from the local dealer so I can only hope I receive good service.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:17 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I found the fix that worked for me. After reinforcing the top of the mud flap with back and front strap steel I used chain, with about 5 links, and attached the guard to where the rear hitch attachs to the frame. Get a 3.5 inch bolt, replacing the shorter hitch to frame bolt. You just bolt the mud guard end link to to extended bolt end (the frame bolt will pass thru the link of the right size chain). This allows the mud guard to move side-to-side, and up-and-down when the coach sits down. This set up will work. The single link that Winnebago has will continue to bend, at least it has bent on my coach several times. Good luck
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:11 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

We got our recall this week, of course we already spent $60 and 3 hours of labor fixing it the way it should have been back in April. We have some tile coming up , maybe we can get them to fix that. lol