Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
2019 Minnie+ 26RBSS

Unhappy Winnebago quality

Along with the half dozen or so little issues with QC, I looked up what I would need to replace the interior speakers as they don't sound very good. Found the speakers used by Winnebago sell RETAIL for $15/pair. Specs say 30-5000 kHz response. I really question that lower number. Probably closer to 750-1000 kHz.
What kind of quality does that suggest to everyone else? I can only imagine what the exterior speakers are since they sound worse than the interior.
They did install these 1 lb speakers with 8 screws though so you don't have to worry about that dynamic sound making them vibrate loose.

When are the RV manufacturers going to realize that Jensen is the worst electronic company in the world. If there is more than $250 worth of "entertainment" in the RVs I will be surprised. Yet, they sell it like it is a $1500 system. Pathetic.
mthead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It's the same for nearly everything else on most RVs. Most buyers are looking for the glitz and floor plan. If the feature list of a unit has a lots of check boxes filled in, then buyers seem impressed. Oh- quality of components and construction is an after thought in most brands.

IMO- Winnebago is in the middle of the pack as for quality in most of their product lines. They have some lower end and some higher end products, but nothing I've seen that I would call top tier. There's better built RVs and they cost more- imagine that. To many buyers it all about the price point, understandably so. Hugh difference in needs between a full timer and typical summer time RVer.

I have an Excel 5th and a Minnie Winnie. The Minnie does not come close to the quality of the Excel.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I've replaced the crummy surround sound speakers in my 2005 Sightseer 30 with used Bose speakers tha I bought on Ebay. Big difference.
phreddyphrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I changed out the 8 year old dash speakers to these Pioneers https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer...?skuId=6065200
for $34.99. Sounds good to me and you'll get at least 5 years out of them so well worth $7/year.
richp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
2019 Minnie+ 26RBSS

Your right, Rarebear,NM. Especially about full timers vs. weekenders. The wife and I are working to be full timers and I guess that will include upgrading the RV.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

In order to get decent low frequency reproduction you need a larger woofer, but, whether you can fit it into the space you have is another question. (I can't...there's no room at all). If you have space for a 6" woofer, congrats ! Then you'll need a decent amplifier to supply power to the low frequency drivers.

Alternatively, you can get good quality components in the space you have and then put a powered, floor firing sub somewhere....on the floor. Some, like this one, you can actually stand on :

https://www.amazon.com/Audiobahn-TQ1...710787&sr=8-10
winniethepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Obviously you enjoy good sounds. Like most any speaker "factory" in a rv, car, boat unless it's something good you're not going to be pleased with it.
Just as well admit it and break down and drop some $'s to get a system you will enjoy. No point denying yourself something you enjoy so much.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

All RV companies do this as well as the majority of cars/trucks/SUV’s etc, cheap speakers/stereo equipment.

They might list specs at 30-5000hz, however it could be +/- 12 DB or something similar

Rarely in any automobile is the audio system a priority or at least well designed since most are happy however it comes. There are a few but most are poor at best...

In today’s world, there are numerous brands much worse then Jensen.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
2018 Intent 26M Owner

When are the RV manufacturers going to realize that Jensen is the worst electronic company in the world. If there is more than $250 worth of "entertainment" in the RVs I will be surprised. Yet, they sell it like it is a $1500 system. Pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Really...I assume you are using the system when parked rather than using the TV and not the in dash system..when I am driving it is all I can do to hear anything coming from my in dash radio and through ceiling speakers...because of road noise I actually ordered and installed 2 more of the same stock speaker adding them above the drivers and passengers seats (the 2 closest to the cockpit are actually behind the seat) so I can hear something without totally cranking up....of all the things to complain about the speakers are the last I would pick. The very first update I made on my Intent was to order and install a Pioneer in dash unit with apple carplay capability so I can use my iPhone for NAV and other...I needed the speaker addition to make it worth while also. Wish I could lessen the road noise for sure. I replaced the main TV with a true smart tv (Roku) and 4K capable with 1080 usual and I wish I knew how to wire it to work through the ceiling speakers.
Safe-T-Plus, Roadmaster 1139140 Front SwayBar, Roadmaster 1139144 Rear SwayBar, Rear Drag Link, Koni Shocks front and rear, Front Sumo Springs, RVI3 Brake System, BlueOX 7365 Alpha TowBar, RVI3 Battery Charge, EEEZTire-TPMS, Winegard Connect 2 4GLTE and WiFi extender,
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #10
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead55 View Post
Along with the half dozen or so little issues with QC, I looked up what I would need to replace the interior speakers as they don't sound very good. Found the speakers used by Winnebago sell RETAIL for $15/pair. Specs say 30-5000 kHz response. I really question that lower number. Probably closer to 750-1000 kHz.
What kind of quality does that suggest to everyone else? I can only imagine what the exterior speakers are since they sound worse than the interior.
They did install these 1 lb speakers with 8 screws though so you don't have to worry about that dynamic sound making them vibrate loose.

When are the RV manufacturers going to realize that Jensen is the worst electronic company in the world. If there is more than $250 worth of "entertainment" in the RVs I will be surprised. Yet, they sell it like it is a $1500 system. Pathetic.
Check out this Newmar DutchStar...Sony TVs with Bose and JBL systems...this is more your taste I think.

https://www.newmarcorp.com/diesel-mo...es/dutch-star/
Safe-T-Plus, Roadmaster 1139140 Front SwayBar, Roadmaster 1139144 Rear SwayBar, Rear Drag Link, Koni Shocks front and rear, Front Sumo Springs, RVI3 Brake System, BlueOX 7365 Alpha TowBar, RVI3 Battery Charge, EEEZTire-TPMS, Winegard Connect 2 4GLTE and WiFi extender,
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #11
2019 Minnie+ 26RBSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiter View Post
Really...I assume you are using the system when parked rather than using the TV and not the in dash system..when I am driving it is all I can do to hear anything coming from my in dash radio and through ceiling speakers...because of road noise I actually ordered and installed 2 more of the same stock speaker adding them above the drivers and passengers seats (the 2 closest to the cockpit are actually behind the seat) so I can hear something without totally cranking up....of all the things to complain about the speakers are the last I would pick. The very first update I made on my Intent was to order and install a Pioneer in dash unit with apple carplay capability so I can use my iPhone for NAV and other...I needed the speaker addition to make it worth while also. Wish I could lessen the road noise for sure. I replaced the main TV with a true smart tv (Roku) and 4K capable with 1080 usual and I wish I knew how to wire it to work through the ceiling speakers.[/QUOTE]

I'm driving a Ram 2500 with low road noise and pulling the Minnie. But, that is my point. For $1500 Ram offers 8" display Alpine in-dash amp/receiver/DVD/CD/USB/Car Play, NAV, 9 Bose speakers, and a built-in bass unit that sounds great. My Ram has 2 camera inputs and new Fords have 5 camera inputs.
They are selling the cheapest trucks and electronics as if they were state of the art and they are hardly last century state of the art. A 2018 truck should be pretty quiet. I have had a 2014 & 2017 Ram 1500 and a 2018 Ram 2500 and all are pretty quiet.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We had two Winnebago Class C motor homes recently. Both were equipped with Jensen in-Dash radios. Both radios were/are total junkers. I hate them for a variety of reasons. Could not change out the first unit due to the interface with the back-up camera. The second unit often blares out a "SPEED CONTROL" command which is more than a little annoying.

So, YES, I agree completely Winnebago would go a long way to increase the quality of their products if they terminated their relationship with Junker Jensen.
cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #13
Site Team

Just about all RV manufacturers go to one or two major OEM companies for much if not all of their electronic and appliance needs. ASA Electronics is the supplier behind all the "Jensen" gear and really it's just a name they bought the rights to. It has nothing to do with the 60's Jensen that made good quality speakers and electronics.

So, an RV Manufacturer goes to ASA Electronics or River Park Electronics or Pace International or Furrion and buys a whole package of appliances and gear that's easily integrated into their RV sand Travel Trailers.; TVs, stereos, cabling, surround sound systems, DVD players, Microwaves, etc.

Check out their websites and you'll see a lot of the equipment that has ended up in your RV.

https://www.asaelectronics.com/
https://furrion.com/
https://riverparkinc.com/
https://www.paceintl.com/

It's the same with slides, wheels, TT suspensions, water heaters, etc. Most of them go to LCi - Lippert Controls Inc.

These companies are all located in Elkhart, IN area and they work closely with RV manufactures supplying the parts RV builders need in the large quantities they need them in.

Most importantly, these companies all have sales people that live in the manufacturer's design and production offices. It's a cozy relationship that is difficult for new companies with new products to infiltrate.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Yes indeed! The RV owner's friendly supply is Crutchfield. Good advice freely given and a plethora of units from low cost to high dollar ear pleasing units to replace the OEM "stuff". The issue in most RVs when parked is you want quality sound without booming noise. In our little View sound is blasted outside even with windows and doors closed so keep that in mind and think about the neighbors in a confined park setting. Rarely can I use the outside speakers and feel good about it because there are neighbors right next door. I don't want to offend them just like I probably don't want to hear their music choices. The only time I have ever used the outside speakers is parked in the drive at home while working on the rig.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Personally not a fan of crutchfield, never have been. They are overpriced, typically selling at MSRP. Yes they do offer customer support/service however most have a local audio shop which can give better prices and equal or better service.

I just purchased a new radio for my Jeep (alpine x209wra-or, now discontinued) back in October. Crutchfield wouldn’t budge a penny on their price so I supported my local audio shop which was $600 less vs crutchfield and Best Buy, this price also included free installation.

The other thing I like about supporting local, is you can touch, feel, use the radio before you buy it.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead55 View Post

..when I am driving it is all I can do to hear anything coming from my in dash radio and through ceiling speakers...because of road noise

... Wish I could lessen the road noise for sure....
Yes !!!!

Hoping that the new 2020 Winnebago Navion/Views with the new MB chassis and the new WB coach door with the 2 point latch and extra insulation/thickness as well as the new cab over are much, much quieter.

We have to crank the radio up pretty loud to get over the threshold of 78 decibels (base road/wind/engine noise is 78 db !!! )in the old Sprinter chassis...ugh...

A new, improved stereo is almost pointless in such an environment.
winniethepoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, winnebago