Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Quality

In July of this year I purchased a new Winnebago Vista 26 HE to tow the AC Cobra I race. In the five times I have been out I have yet to return home then take the unit in for warranty service. First time out cabinet doors fell off in the first 180 miles. The alignment was so bad you could not let go of the steering wheel. Winnebago refused to warranty that saying it was fine when it left you must have it loaded wrong or hit something it only had 390 miles on it.I bought it with 335. Then the jacks started leaking antenna quit working,generator has exhaust leak,trim pieces are falling off, the best the heater quit in 15 degree weather. This is just a short list of problems. My question is is Winnebago quality this bad? This can't be normal. Winnebago is unwilling to help out with the cost of getting the unit to and from the service center witch is 75 miles one way. With my experance with Winnebago I would NOT RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE.
Cobra 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I think you may be having a few more problems than usual but all RV's seem to have some issues. we have been RVing for a few decades now (2 travel trailers, 2 fifth wheels and 4 motor homes.) All have had bugs from the factory. My advice: If you can, take your new rig on a thousand mile or more trip. Most of your problems will become evident. Then you can take it to the dealer for ALL of your warranty work at once. It takes about $80.00 of fuel for me to take my coach in for warranty so I try to get a lot done at the same time. Good luck to you; RVing can be great way to travel.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Cobra427, I think we all understand your frustration, we have all been there. I agree with dlovitt that you seem to be having more than your fair share of issues but give the coach a good shakedown cruise then take it in with a complete list of problems for warranty work. You may not want to hear this right now but Winnebago makes a pretty good motor home compared to a lot of others. None of them ever come out of the assembly lines perfect. At least I've never seen one.
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I too had a problem with the front end. What I found out is the Ford Chassis comes from Ford set at a certain factory setting which is not what it should be once the coach is set on the chassis and weight added. I also found that the tires were inflated far too high (michelins) for the weight on the MH. The tires had been set to the max on the label in the MH....I now run 75lbs in all based on the Michelin guide.
I loaded the MH pretty much the way I wanted except for some food, filled the tank, had it weighed and the front end realigned.....the front end was way off....mine too had a terrible pull on the first trip out.
If you have the Vienna Coffee glaze on your cabinets, they will soon if not already starting to bubble. This defect is known to Winnebago and they will repair it..Learned that the vendor that supplied the wood had tried a new technique on the lamination process.....it did not work. If you find that some of the cabinet faces are defective, have it documented by your dealer asp as the wait time is pretty long to get new faces.
I did not have any problems with any of the doors falling off although they could have been aligned a might better.
But i have to say I never have experienced the problems you have had with the other appliances.....all of which have been supplied by vendors.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Cobra 427,

First, your trips sound like alot of fun- sorry you're having so much trouble. I know it's only natural to think Winnebago is a bad product but there are alot of us out here who love them. A couple of points: Your alignment problem will have to be fixed by the chassis people (probably Ford). When you say the "service center" do you mean the dealer or the factory? Since you only had 300+ miles on it when it was delivered maybe you're near Forest City. If so- I would definetly schedule an appointment. They are terrific people and I think these issues are all covered under your bumper-to-bumper warrantee. Don't get in a funk about this- everything can be made right.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

Before we condem winnebago. Lets teke a carefull look at the problems.. You did say steering problems. ( as stated in prior post) Chassic manufacture Problem; Water heater. That would be Atwood.. Winnebago is generally good about Doing warrenty work. However it MUST be proven A Winnebago Related defect. As a past manufacture of A spicific part, That was tested to 80lbs. we got one back that had over 400lbs put in it and It exploded; We stood behind the product gave him a free one and Politely asked him to not come back to our show. As we have the right to refuse service to anyone in this wonderfull country. Look at the product manufacturing agent; Not the end line of user..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Cobra 427,

First, your trips sound like alot of fun- sorry you're having so much trouble. I know it's only natural to think Winnebago is a bad product but there are alot of us out here who love them. A couple of points: Your alignment problem will have to be fixed by the chassis people (probably Ford). When you say the "service center" do you mean the dealer or the factory? Since you only had 300+ miles on it when it was delivered maybe you're near Forest City. If so- I would definetly schedule an appointment. They are terrific people and I think these issues are all covered under your bumper-to-bumper warrantee. Don't get in a funk about this- everything can be made right.
It went back to the selling dealer for service except for the front end and camping world is a Winnebago dealer and I was still charged to realign the front end even though they said it looked like it was never set at the factory because it could have never been knocked that far out of alignment.Winnebago policy is no warranty on alignments. Even if they fix everything my family rides in this thing and right now I have no trust in it.I don't know what will fall off and maybe hit my wife or child. When the heat went out it was 15 degrees out at night 35 for highs. I called there service line was given a dealer number that was too help me out.When I got there I was asked did I buy it from them.I said no but was told by customer service that you could at least look at it.With that I was told there was no "insert swear word here"way he would put me ahead of his customers that bought there RV's there .Even though he said the units in front of me were there to be winterized. So much for customer service.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Before we condem winnebago. Lets teke a carefull look at the problems.. You did say steering problems. ( as stated in prior post) Chassic manufacture Problem; Water heater. That would be Atwood.. Winnebago is generally good about Doing warrenty work. However it MUST be proven A Winnebago Related defect. As a past manufacture of A spicific part, That was tested to 80lbs. we got one back that had over 400lbs put in it and It exploded; We stood behind the product gave him a free one and Politely asked him to not come back to our show. As we have the right to refuse service to anyone in this wonderfull country. Look at the product manufacturing agent; Not the end line of user..
Does cabinetry falling off or trim pieces on RV count as Winnebago defect.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
I think you may be having a few more problems than usual but all RV's seem to have some issues. we have been RVing for a few decades now (2 travel trailers, 2 fifth wheels and 4 motor homes.) All have had bugs from the factory. My advice: If you can, take your new rig on a thousand mile or more trip. Most of your problems will become evident. Then you can take it to the dealer for ALL of your warranty work at once. It takes about $80.00 of fuel for me to take my coach in for warranty so I try to get a lot done at the same time. Good luck to you; RVing can be great way to travel.
There's 2200 miles on it now and five trips .I have had to cut short two trips because of problems. One or two problems you look the other way 36 is way to many I only listed some of the problems not all. I bought this to make my traveling easier staying at the race track instead of hotels. Having a shower at the end of the day instead of a swim in a cold lake sleeping somewhere warm and off the ground. There's I line in a move that says "You chose poorly" Thats what I feel right now.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Adding my two cents -

At this point given you've had so many problems, (if it were me) I would start calling the "VENDORS" of the items that have failed and just ask them if they are supplying BAD PRODUCTS to Winnebago because it equals income for their business or are they willing to honor and backup their product that they are certainly giving Winnebago cheap costs on.

If all else fails... Call your State Attorney General's office and ask for the "Consumer Protection Department" and file a complaint. It will pass down to the dealer, and you're liable to get some action.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Cobra,

I still hear your frustration but try channeling into some thought. At all cost- I would attempt to get it back to the factory. CW has been "iffy" in too many cases with repair and service. The dealer who may have been less than diplomatic is basically right- especially if he has his own customers waiting. We have those dealers here too that have the same policy for obviuos reasons. And yes, the alignments are not free because there is no way to control it after it left the line. BTW, mine drove straight even after a significant unplanned cross country run-so I know Ford builds a sound product. Keep your chin up- everything works out in the end (this will probably be on my head stone).
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I know the feeling. My first MH was an Itasca by Winnebago, and it was a lemon. And Winnebago didn't seem to care.... I had to go to several dealers to get about half of it fixed. So, my advice is to get on the phone to a bunch of different dealers, and then locate some that will do the work. Some dealers take the attitude you described, but you have the option of taking it to ANY authorized shop, and I'm sure the Winnebago customer service people can help you find an authorized shop near you that will pay attention to your problems. Generally, they get paid by Winnebago for the warranty work performed, if it is done on a "Winnebago issue." BTW, I'm on my third rig these days, and it's another Itasca by Winnebago.... It's a good one. Best of luck, I hope you can keep us updated.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
doc
Winnebago Owner

Most of us can sympathize with you on the problems you have had and are having. However the business of wanting Winne to help out with fuel to get the coach to them is pretty unlikely to happen.
Tell the Camping World people to take a hike and head to Forest City, even if it is a lot of trouble to get there. Some really poor technicians, if they can be called that, work at CW. Wine factory people will not patch and tell you it is fixed. They deal with your kind of problems daily. Don't go there with an attitude, but as professionally expecting help. You will get help.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Cobra 427 I own a 2011 Vista 35F purchased new and I know exactly what you are dealing with. I still have not gotten everything fixed or replaced and my warranty expired a year ago. I gave up on my dealer long ago. It took a minimum of 3 weeks at the shop to get anything fixed and then I had to go back because it hadn't been done right. Each trip cost me 60 bucks in gas and was an exercise in futility. I end up doing much of the work myself. You can search this forum for my posts and get an idea of what I had to deal with. This is my 6th motorhome, 4 of them Winnebagoes, and it is by far the worst of the bunch.
TerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Cobra427,

Number one you said it was a new RV what year is it? Was it a leftover? Where did you buy it?

Have you contacted Winnebago in Forest City? They are good people there and should be able to help you out for sure. Since you have so many problems why not go to the factory direct and let them fix your problems since it is still in warranty.

I'm on my 3rd Winnwbago and have had a few problems but either dealer repaired them or I took it to Winnebago and even HWH when I had jack problems.

I think all in all Winnebago makes a fine coach and they stand by their product. My present coach has had it's problems but took us to AK and back in comfort and with no problems. Some of the problems I fix myself as motorhome is no longer in warranty.

Surely hope you gert this resolved and call Winnebago Customer Service.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #16

Number one is Dealer Relations" I Would like to share an experiance with you; I was dealing on a DP. at a dealership. We couldn't reach a price on it. I bought one 1450 miles from where we live , we picked it up, and it had a lot of problems. I took it to my origenal dealer. (that I could not deal with) They done the repairs. (altho at Christmas time I bought 6, 1/2 gallons of good whiskey for the shop) My Refer. Quit we were loaded To start our Vecation/state relly; They had a 3 weeks time sch. I talked to the shop Forman. He asked how soon I sould get there I told him, Took it to him The next morning At opening time he called and said our coach was done;;That cost me A couple 1/2 Gallons. More Christmas presents. Now there that will dissagree with my way of doing business, That's fine. I get my work done. I have stood at the counter and listened to owners Bitch/complain about there coach. My conclusion was they were moved to the back of the line, and sometimes even taken relucktently; No one wants to deal with a Bitcher; OH I don't care about spellcheck, Spellchech policie
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra 427;1389024[B
]It went back to the selling dealer for service except for the front end and camping world is a Winnebago dealer and I was still charged to realign the front [/B]end even though they said it looked like it was never set at the factory because it could have never been knocked that far out of alignment.Winnebago policy is no warranty on alignments. Even if they fix everything my family rides in this thing and right now I have no trust in it.I don't know what will fall off and maybe hit my wife or child. When the heat went out it was 15 degrees out at night 35 for highs. I called there service line was given a dealer number that was too help me out.When I got there I was asked did I buy it from them.I said no but was told by customer service that you could at least look at it.With that I was told there was no "insert swear word here"way he would put me ahead of his customers that bought there RV's there .Even though he said the units in front of me were there to be winterized. So much for customer service.
The final front end alignment is something that has been considered a customer responsibility since at least 1999. Ford aligns the front end on the stripped/partial chassis before they send it to the coach builder. The coach builder again aligns it once the body is instailed. The customer is supposed to do a final alignment (at their own expense) once the unit is loaded with propane, water, and all the cargo they normally have onboard.

Each time you add a significant amount weight to the chassis the steering geometry changes slightly. In all likelyhood the chassis was aligned at each step along the way. You should have gotten some information when you purchased the unit explaining you would be responsible for the final step in this process.

If you didn't receive this information from the selling dealer I would go back to them and ask why. I know some dealers find it hard to explain to a customer that just spent a pile of money that they need to shell out even more. Some take the easy way out and hope by the time the customer figures it out they'll be far enough away that they don't have to deal with them.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Notify Winnebago by Phone or email for EVERY fault so a record can be developed and document, document, document in the event of filing a Lemon Law Lawsuit. Just as a note a friend filed in small claims court the price of his monthly payment when his dealer kept the rig well over a month and ignored his warranty work.

For years factory employees were small farmers supplementing their income and getting hired was prized. Now employees in many cases are hard to come by and results are less than satisfactory. I do agree that the shop does very good work although many problems should never need fixing.

Nuf Sed !

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I thought the delivered quality on my Itasca could have been better. To many little things loose, falling off & easily fixed items at the factory. Winny should take more time on the final quality checks to ensure a better delivered coach. I sometimes thought that they have the mentality to shove the thing out the door & let the customer complete the final. But I will say that after my first few trips I now have 20,000 trouble free miles.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The final front end alignment is something that has been considered a customer responsibility since at least 1999. Ford aligns the front end on the stripped/partial chassis before they send it to the coach builder. The coach builder again aligns it once the body is instailed. The customer is supposed to do a final alignment (at their own expense) once the unit is loaded with propane, water, and all the cargo they normally have onboard.
Winnebago DOES NOT do a full alignment on the chassis. Via my own experience with this issue I was finally able to pin down a Winnebago rep who admitted that they ONLY set the toe. On the Ford, camber isn't too big of an issue, but my caster was way off from the factory the day I drove it off the lot and before anything was loaded. Winnebago wanted no part of that. My dealer eventually picked up the cost of that alignment.

I also had bad experiences with the "dealer network" while on the road. All of the promises and guarantees about overnight parts availability, etc. are worthless if no dealer will provide service. It doesn't matter if you're hundreds or thousands of miles from home on a multi-week trip. Most dealers will tell you how long their backlog is and offer to schedule you weeks later. Winnebago Corporate has no influence at all, so you're at the mercy of the dealers who don't care who you are or what your problem is.

Tags
quality, winnebago