Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Angry Winnebago Problems

Purchased a new 2014 Winnebago Tour Model QD less than two months ago.More problems than I expected and I've been at this for 14 years and have owned an assortment of new and used coaches.

First off the "Aquahot Sytem" and the HDMI Matrix switching system were both wired in incorrectly at the factory.

Whoever drove the coach from Iowa to Florida must have been "stone deaf". There was a loud and I mean LOUD banging noise coming from the front passenger side that was impossible to miss. That got fixed at the dealership .

We didn't make it through the first night on the road and two "crimp clamps" gave way in the water compartment and the water pump wasn't working. Coach was essentially useless till we got back to the dealer ship the next week.

Now the front passenger side slide is stuck half way in....or half way out...take your pick. Can't budge it. Dead as a door nail. Help is on the way tomorrow morning but not sure what he can do other than help me get it hand cranked into either a fully extended or retracted position. Suspect one of the motors has failed big time.

Oh...and as usual screws are falling out all over the place. You'll find one in the basement storage compartment....look around....and can't begin to figure out where the hell it fell out of...but there it is big as life.

Here's the real rub. You call Winnebago and hang on the phone for an aggravatingly long amount of time only to get a "service administrator" on the phone who doesn't have a clue other than "call a mobile service rep"....all the while you're listening to the background "chatter" about how much care goes into building a Winnebago. Considering the price of this coach this has been a real disappointment so far.

On the plus side the coach is a dream to drive. I guess that makes up for some of the problems. I'm probably expecting too much and whining way too much but it has been a disappointment.

Curious if anyone else is having these kinds of problems with this particular Winnebago?

jacksonjdnc
2014 Winnebago "Sour"
2014 Jeep GC Overland
jacksonjdnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I really don't think you are exoecting too much. If I pay for supposed quality, then I expect to get just that. If I wanted to be inconvenienced then I would have bought used. I would be on them like flies on stink!
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonjdnc View Post
Purchased a new 2014 Winnebago Tour Model QD less than two months ago.More problems than I expected and I've been at this for 14 years...............

Here's the real rub. You call Winnebago and hang on the phone for an aggravatingly long amount of time only to get a "service administrator" on the phone who doesn't have a clue other than "call a mobile service rep"....all the while you're listening to the background "chatter" about how much care goes into building a Winnebago........

I'm probably expecting too much and whining way too much but it has been a disappointment.......
jacksonjdnc
I, for one, don't think so. And I sure agree with you about the BS recordings so many companies use to cover up their incompetence with untrue claims about how much the "care". Just wait until day 366 of your one year warranty arrives, then you'll know for sure how much they care.

I am somewhat surprised you have not already heard from a member of the brand defender league telling you "it is a house traveling thru an earthquake" OR that ALL you need to do is drive it back to FC, where they will "fix" all the stuff they didn't build right the first time.

end of rant
Ed
Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I had a lot of problems with my 13 QD the first year. I had to really fight to get some of the problems fixed, but they fixed them. Several people have had problems with the big front passenger slide. Mine made a lot of noise going down the road. Dealer put some insulation tape in there somewhere which helped a little. I think that slide is too big and heavy for the Schwintec mechanism. I have the faulty toilet drain flex piles that are leaching out sewer smell and sewer gases into the Rv. I am out of warranty, but Winnie said they will help with replacement of the pipes. A health and safety issue if you ask me. You will have a long stressful year getting stuff fixed, but stay on them. Good luck and have fun.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Jackson sorry to hear about your problems you will find a topic on the tiffen page about the subject. I commented that it is not just expensive motorhomes it is everything we buy now a days every one claim they are quality driven but the truth is money and the practice is to send it to the customer and hope they don't complain. Then put a band aid on till it is out of warranty.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Have you gotten any resolution to the issues yet? I hope they take care of you the Tour or Ellipse are on my short list.

Robert
Freestyle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I am going to post to this thread because it is of interest.

Good luck with getting the required repairs. Patience and perserverance are sometimes the best tools in dealing with reluctant warranty providers.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain42 View Post
Jackson sorry to hear about your problems you will find a topic on the tiffen page about the subject. I commented that it is not just expensive motorhomes it is everything we buy now a days every one claim they are quality driven but the truth is money and the practice is to send it to the customer and hope they don't complain. Then put a band aid on till it is out of warranty.
fountain42
I agree 100%
But it's easy to throw away a $15 toaster, or a $30 coffee maker, and simply chalk it up to experience. ......
A $100,000+ Winnebago... not so much!
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

We have 2013 42GD. Picked it up in Feb at Camping World Gulf Breeze,FL. Had a 1-1/2 page punchlist - mostly small (annoying) things. Most serious was had to replace transfer switch and one a/c unit. Other - dash air had a leak, cracked floor tile, crack in shower enclosure, windshield wiper blade had to be replaced. Just drove from FL to Anchorage, AK. Unit handled extremely well. Arrived in Anchorage to find that tilt bed was not working - stuck in up position! Now trying to find someone local who can determine/fix problem.
alaskauae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskauae View Post
We have 2013 42GD. Picked it up in Feb at Camping World Gulf Breeze,FL. Had a 1-1/2 page punchlist - mostly small (annoying) things. Most serious was had to replace transfer switch and one a/c unit. Other - dash air had a leak, cracked floor tile, crack in shower enclosure, windshield wiper blade had to be replaced. Just drove from FL to Anchorage, AK. Unit handled extremely well. Arrived in Anchorage to find that tilt bed was not working - stuck in up position! Now trying to find someone local who can determine/fix problem.
I had several problems with my bed. Both of the plunger switches broke. Had a pinched wire I fixed also. I removed the plunger switches and by passed them. Bed works good now.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Deleivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonjdnc View Post
Purchased a new 2014 Winnebago Tour Model QD less than two months ago.More problems than I expected and I've been at this for 14 years and have owned an assortment of new and used coaches.

First off the "Aquahot Sytem" and the HDMI Matrix switching system were both wired in incorrectly at the factory.

Whoever drove the coach from Iowa to Florida must have been "stone deaf". There was a loud and I mean LOUD banging noise coming from the front passenger side that was impossible to miss. That got fixed at the dealership .

We didn't make it through the first night on the road and two "crimp clamps" gave way in the water compartment and the water pump wasn't working. Coach was essentially useless till we got back to the dealer ship the next week.

Now the front passenger side slide is stuck half way in....or half way out...take your pick. Can't budge it. Dead as a door nail. Help is on the way tomorrow morning but not sure what he can do other than help me get it hand cranked into either a fully extended or retracted position. Suspect one of the motors has failed big time.

Oh...and as usual screws are falling out all over the place. You'll find one in the basement storage compartment....look around....and can't begin to figure out where the hell it fell out of...but there it is big as life.

Here's the real rub. You call Winnebago and hang on the phone for an aggravatingly long amount of time only to get a "service administrator" on the phone who doesn't have a clue other than "call a mobile service rep"....all the while you're listening to the background "chatter" about how much care goes into building a Winnebago. Considering the price of this coach this has been a real disappointment so far.

On the plus side the coach is a dream to drive. I guess that makes up for some of the problems. I'm probably expecting too much and whining way too much but it has been a disappointment.

Curious if anyone else is having these kinds of problems with this particular Winnebago?

jacksonjdnc
2014 Winnebago "Sour"
2014 Jeep GC Overland
That is why we went directly to the dealer in Forest City Lichsinn and drove our new View home ourselves.
PAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Problems

Disgusting and an embarrassment if it is my company. How manufactures can really allow things like this to happen over and over and over and just chalk it up to "take it to the nearest service center" is beyond me. When it comes to us not buying them (which I don't really think will ever happen) then the companies will take notice and do something about the junk they put out.
mackspot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:10 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I had a good experience with Winnebago yesterday. My Ellipse is out of warranty by 6 months. I finally figured out my sewer smell from my back bath is coming from the flex drain pipe from the toilet. The pipe is faulty and is leaching sewer smell. Winnebago is going to pay to have the faulty pipe replaced. The dealer said it will take two days to fix. So I am thankful Winnebago stepped up on this one.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Jackson,
Just picked up 2015 Journey, had to make an appointment to come back for repairs before completing walk through. Factory QC poor at best. They do need to add more phone techs or do better QC so phone calls wouldn't be necessary, 15+ minute hold time is inexcusable. The 48% increase in profits should be spent QC and telephone techs
LSMITH2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #15

We have a 2014 Adventurer and after having a number of items repaired that we found during the PDI, we now have a punch list of over 15 items, some of which are fairly serious including a slide out that works intermittently, we are very disappointed with WBG. We traded a 2012 Forest River Georgetown that did not have as many issues. I actually expected WBG to be on a higher level of quality than FR..Not so much. Getting ready to take it the dealer in 3 weeks, can't wait to see what their reaction will be...
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2013 Itasca Meridian and lost 3-6 months of travel our first year due to the passenger front slide failing to retract two different times! The second time they replaced the motors with 500/1 ratio motored and all new assembly and the slide has worked fine since then. It took CW, Winnebago, and Lippert to fix it. Now we are on an extended trip without a gps, radio and backup and side camera because for the second time in less than a year the radio system has shorted out. We will be putting a third system in when we get home, but Winnebago will not step up. Something is definitely wrong with the wiring. We love the floor plan and DH likes how it drives, but disappointed in Winnebago and their lack of concern for obvious problems! They don't seem to be the same fine company they use to be.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SAWTELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I have to agree with some of the above comments. In 2008, I bought a brand new 2007 Itasca Cambria. It was a great motorhome with very few problems. To me, it was well made at the factory. Fast forward five years, and I purchased a 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE. I have owned it less then a year and have had a lot of minor problems. Problems such as leaking city water connection, motor on electric step defective, two defective hydraulic jack lines, and a faulty "Jack Down" hydraulic jacks light which the dealership is still trying to resolve.

Now the most recent problem which makes me absolutely furious... I recently discovered a strong sewer smell in the coach. I discovered the vent pipe to the Black Tank was not properly connected and the smell of raw sewage (along with bugs from the Black tank) was leaking into the coach. The factory also didn't properly secure the vent pipe to the floor or wall of the motorhome. They had the "L" bracket and screw attached to the pipe, but the pipe was not secured. There was even a green piece of tape on the screw which my salesman said means the inspector saw the problem and it should have been fixed before the motorhome left the factory.

I kept dismissing the smell as it being normal, but in the back of my mind, I know something was not right. Needless to say, the motorhome is back at the dealership being repaired.

Talk about not caring and/or total incompetence.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #18
Site Team

Rossi, sorry to hear about all the problems you've had. I guess I have been pretty lucky, as I have had very few issues. However, I just noticed that my city water connection (where you attach the hose) is slowly leaking....not sure why since it is above the tank. How did you fix yours? It seems like it would be an easy thing to replace it, unless the problem originates from somewhere else.

2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE, 2014 Honda CRV with Roadmaster tow package, RVing on weekends and vacation since June 2012
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Rossi, sorry to hear about all the problems you've had. I guess I have been pretty lucky, as I have had very few issues. However, I just noticed that my city water connection (where you attach the hose) is slowly leaking....not sure why since it is above the tank. How did you fix yours? It seems like it would be an easy thing to replace it, unless the problem originates from somewhere else.

2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE, 2014 Honda CRV with Roadmaster tow package, RVing on weekends and vacation since June 2012
Hi Al,

I had the dealership fix it since it was under warranty. Be aware it could be a number of things from the crimp connector on one of the water lines, a defective fill switch (used to fill you onboard water tank or use city water directly), to a defective city water valve. On my motorhome, they replaced the fill switch, city water valve, and re-crimped some of the lines. Next day, I went onto eBay and bought my own crimp tool and crimp connectors.

John
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #20
Site Team

Wow, good to know. I'll have my mechanic repair it at my next annual maintenance. Right now it is a very slow drip and more of an annoyance than a real issue. Thanks!

macnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago