Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2005, 05:50 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

BucknJeff addressed the significant issues; mainly QUALITY ASSURANCE!!!!!. Every time I call Winnie for tech support, etc. I ask the rep if he's ever heard of this web site. Incredibly, the answer is No.

Sales of MH's are going to plummet if oil keeps rising. Winnie and other MH mfgrs will be forced to look for ways to improve sales. They've GOT to get their head out of the sand on the quality issue.

HELLO Winnie (read DriVer), do you read this website?!!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:18 AM   #22
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Its not the sand that their heads are in.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:25 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

My mother always told me, "if you haven't anything good to say about someone, then say nothing at all." We, my wife and I, have nothing good to say about Winnebago except one thing. "The freinds we've met at the rallies".

We just got back from 8 weeks on the road, 3 of them at Winnebago. If we never go there again, it will be to soon. Stand in line waiting for service and talk to others with their stories and you'd come away with a very bad tasting of how not to treat your customers. The Circle of Excellent certainly doesn't apply here.

As one person put it, fuel prices are going to cause the RV Industry some serious problems. Maybe it's time to weed out the undesirables and bring on some new life.

Radarr
Old 08-28-2005, 06:47 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Radarr, I agree. If fuel keeps going and sales drop way off, those who want to put out unsatisfactory products are going to find themselves with no buyers. It may well be a wakeup call.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:32 AM   #25

Good grief people...we LIKE ours...our third MH....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:13 AM   #26
rg
Winnebago Camper

On our third and would not buy another brand. To many friends have other brands listed here and they are nightmares. I state again less than ten percent that own Winnebago's go on line and are active in these BB. There has been some great info on this BB but it seems to turm into a few that would rather tell us how much better there new coach is.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:38 AM   #27
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:
I hope Winnie will add the external satellite dish connection (don't recall seeing it on the 06) that HR has - makes an external dish much easier to use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was just up in Forest City and I saw a few 2006s and yes they do have a external, portable dish connection.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:47 AM   #28
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
I ask the rep if he's ever heard of this web site. Incredibly, the answer is No. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You're just talking to the wrong person the answer is in fact "YES".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">HELLO Winnie (read DriVer), do you read this website?!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't get it. I have over 10 thousand posts.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:14 PM   #29
iRV2 Marketing

And now for my take on this.

First of all and most importantly Winnebago Industries is the "sponsor" of this forum and we appreciate the fact that they have been here for us over the past 3 years. This place can get a bit expensive to operate and since we are no longer stretching out our hand for member donations we appreciate that our sponsors help maintain our presence on the Internet 24-7. One thing if nothing else, we're always here!

We have been full timing in our Adventurer since January 2005 having now traveled back and forth across the country twice, including 2 crossings of the Rocky Mountains and we're not done yet.

Colleen and I are very pleased with our motorhome and feel fortunate in having it. You might get a different motorhome but "for the most part" (there are certainly exceptions) you're not going to get a motorhome that comes close to a Winnebago Industries product in feature content, floorplans, and price vs performance.

Winnebago makes 60% of the content of their motorhomes. No other company comes close. I have seen a lot of motorhomes manufacturers that buy products that just about fit but not quite. Winnebago Industries CADS everything that goes into their motorhome so the products fit better because they make the products. The entire cockpit area is made from steel, not many other manufactures do that. The only wood up here is the tackless on the floor pan that holds the carpet.

When it comes time for us to buy a replacement motorhome we certainly will consider all the options however based on our past experience with this motorhome we would favor buying another.

We're not living in a Shagri-La motorhome by the way, there are things that needed adjustment or fixing and I am glad that I can do a lot of these things on my own. We have had 0 serious system failures to date however we have a couple of issues that persist but I understand the problem and I'll get around to fixing it at some time when I have time.

Far from perfect, you'd have to pry my Winnebago Adventurer from my cold dead hands. That's when I would get rid of it.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Oh One,
I have to agree with DriVer about Winnebago as we are on our 3rd Winnebago. I started out with a used 87'Minnie Winnie 24' on a ford w/ 460 engine. It was a great coach considering it didn't have the ammenities the new coaches have such as a generator or built in microwave. It also didn't have a lot of storage space but we drove that unit 90,000 miles and enjoyed it. We got in an accident in MI and limped home only to have the unit totaled.
We then bought a '96 Minnie Winnie on a Ford with a 460 engine. That coach was great and had a floor plan we really liked. Sure we had warranty problems but our dealer took care of everything. I put 89,000 miles on it with hardly any problems and being I service my coaches I knew what was what. On our way back from Utah I decided to go back to the factory to see about some delamination I had on side walls which were caused by me not caulking the roof seams alongside the coach. I did front and rear though. When I found out it would cost the same as coach was worth we decided to check out new ones. Btw there only major problem I had with this coach was Firestrone tires, not a Winne problem.
We traded up to a 2004 Adventurer 33' on a Workhorse w/ 8.1l and Allison 5 speed transmission. The floor plan is super and the slides give the 2 of us plenty of room plus all the ammenties that I won't go into. Sure I have had warranty problems with coach and they have been fixed at least the majority of them. People you must realize that you are driving a house on 6 wheels, what do you want? Don't tell me you don't have any problems with your home that is stationery.
In my estimation Winnebago build a fine unit and so far they have backed up there unit. In closing Don, I would like to wish you the best with your new unit but ....
Remember a friend of ours who bought a new Monaco 40' and on first trip out had no electricity due to transfer switch and it was in shop for 3 weeks. HR is made by Monaco, Good Luck and everyone travel safe.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Gee Tom, even more vivid in my mind is the guy whose coach was at the dealer for 2 months this spring for 17 hours of work - all four bolts missing from gennie, undercarriage rust front to rear, floor tiles buckling for the 3rd time, black flush not working, etc. And it was made by Winnie. A 2004 39W. Mine.

If you think that I think I'm definitely going to a bed of roses, not the case. I've spent more time than my wife would like on an HR forum, Tiffin owners group, Travel Supreme owners group, etc. They all have reports of problems - it is just a matter of degree and whether or not you are one of the unlucky ones to get the one out of every 4 or 5 MHs that come out of the factory late Friday evening. Then it depends how well the dealer responds. In my case, I'm staying with the same dealer so it is going to be difficult to predict the outcome. Don't think we haven't got our fingers crossed - and we would have had them crossed regardless of what brand we had purchased. In our case we found the floor plan of the 40PLQ compelling and to meet our needs more than any other we'd seen. As to Cummins vs CAT - we figure that is a draw. Same Allison Tranny, same microwave/convection etc. GY tires vs Michelin with excess tire capacity on the front instead of GAWR=tire rating and over 4,000 lbs excess on rear.

In any event, we are carrying our lucky rabbit's foot with us along with a few four leaf clovers.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:19 AM   #32
Winnebago Watcher

I have followed this thread with interest, since I traded in Feb. and have owned 3 Winnies. I bought a Newmar because the quality and level of customer service declined with each Winnie I bought, the last being a 2002 Journey. I had a deposit on a '05 Horizon, but the quality control on that unit was so bad that I started thinking: "Do I really want to yank around with Winnie like I did with my '02 Journey?" The answer was "no."
Old 08-30-2005, 07:32 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

927palmetto, Welcome to the forum

Now that your a Newmar owner how about a little karma join the Newmar Owners Forum, its for free an you do not have to wait. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:59 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I hope Winnie will add the external satellite dish connection (don't recall seeing it on the 06) that HR has - makes an external dish much easier to use.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The external satellite connection was on all the 2005 models.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:37 AM   #35

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:
I hope Winnie will add the external satellite dish connection (don't recall seeing it on the 06) that HR has - </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have one on ours in addition to the built in Dish!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:53 AM   #36
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
I hope Winnie will add the external satellite dish connection (don't recall seeing it on the 06) that HR has - </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have one on ours in addition to the built in Dish!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good. They also show 3 cameras as an option in the brochure but I haven't seen any turn up at dealers as yet. May be a later introduction that they didn't want to leave out of the brochure. Now, if they can only recover some of the lost exterior storage that occured between 05 and 06.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:46 PM   #37
iRV2 Marketing

Good. They also show 3 cameras as an option in the brochure but I haven't seen any turn up at dealers as yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There're coming I saw them on a "Tour" in the back yard at Winnebago while on the tour bus. They were easy to spot, these must have been prototypes, white plastic housing on full paint. Couldn't miss them.

I'm sure the retail ones will be in FP.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:25 PM   #38
Winnie-Wise

Mike - we were at our dealer today picking up our new unit. Meant to have a look. Just looked at a photo of a Tour they have on their web site - it looks like it has the 3 cameras but they just say "video camera system." Given that the paint job on this particular unit was rather garish (well, to be honest, it looks like a mobile French brothel) DW wasn't interested in it.

Used our 3 cameras today - pretty neat - also have an adjustable rear camera that can be moved right down and then back up to the horizon. Found it pretty handy changing lanes.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:00 AM   #39
iRV2 Marketing

Mike - we were at our dealer today picking up our new unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Congratulations, I wish you many miles and smiles.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Found it pretty handy changing lanes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's so important to see what's going on while changing lanes. I hope this type of device finds its way into the RV Industry as standard equipment at all levels of class A motorhomes. I'm trying to upgrade my side front signal lights with after market lamps. I think this safety item is getting to me more common practice since we see these on the bottom of Velvac arms more frequently than in the past.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Driver, if we get together in Florida this year, I'll help you install directional signal lites on both our rigs. Do you think I can install port and starboard lites?? What I would like to see utilizing 3 cameras is when I turn on my directional signals flashing a lane change , that the acamera on that side provides a 1/2 image on my monitor, and that when I come back into lane that camera comes on. Remember now, when they do tis feature, you heard it hear first....

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote