Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Mattresses

I read that Winne is now offerring an EZ foam matress on their more expensive coaches...Curious to see why they have stopped using the Sleep BY Number mattress....Does anyone have any experience with the new foam mattresses on the 2010's or any experience on the Sleep By Number mattress....We are in the market for a new mattress and not sure which way to go....Me engine area is under the bed and thus the mattress must be removed and set aside for servicing the engine so weight is a factor....thanks RKL
Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL View Post
Me engine area is under the bed and thus the mattress must be removed and set aside for servicing the engine so weight is a factor....thanks RKL
RKL, We got rid of the OE mattress and bought a conventional mattress from a mattress chain store. Our only requirement was ... not be thicker than ~6 inches. We got a conventional mattress that meets that dimension however it's about 50% heavier than the OE mattress but so much better. We then put a pillow topper on it and we're pretty much good to go! I just recently changed out a pair of hi-pressure lift pistons for the bed platform after 7 years of service.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
We recently removed our "Sleep by Number" mattress from our MH and replaced it with a pillow top Sealy mattress. The reasons are two fold. First, we had to replaced the pump twice and had to purchase a new airbag on the Sleep by Number mattress system. Not sure why the pumps quit pumping, but they did and they are not cheap. The airbag developed a slow leak and kept going flat.

One thing one has to add to their check list is to deflate the air bags of the Sleep by Number system when traveling from low altitude to a higher altitude because they blow up like balloons due to the barometric pressure change. I believe that is what caused the slow leak in one of the bags.

So we switched mattresses because the Sleep By Number system keep causing additional, expensive maintenance issues! As a result we spent quite a number of nights where we had to sleep on the couch because of the described defects in the design of the bed system. I no longer have these problems.

P.S. Our son acquired our Sleep by Number system from us and is really happy with it in his stick house.

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with 2006 CRV Toad.
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We use Tempurpedic in the stick house and love it but decided it was too heavy and too pricey for our intermittent use in the motorhome. The best mattress we've had in the rig so far is one of the queen Serta from Sam's. DW added a 2" memory foam topper and it sleeps very well.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I love the OEM mattress in our 08 Destination. However, I added a 2 inch foam topper to it and it is real comfortable. I think I picked up the topper at Wal-Mart. It's better than the stick house bed.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We also replaced the Sleep Number bed in our coach - replaced the pump once and had leaks in the chambers - try finding replacement parts at a reasonable price, if you can find them at all. We replaced it with an 11" memory foam sold by Overstock.com. I comes in four layers so that it can easily be installed and moved if necessary, and the two top layers can be switched to increase the firmness. It's fantastic - much more comfortable than the Sleep Number and there isn't any maintenance. I'd recommend it; here's the link: 13-inch Queen-size Accu-Gold Memory Foam RV Bed Component Sleep System | Overstock.com

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We also had the Sleep Number bed, it lasted about a year, absolute junk. Since I'm in the mattress business I had a custom built memory foam matt made at our factory, I haven't seen a good quality mattress in any motorhome no matter how much you spend on the rig.

The problem with a thinner mattress is you can't layer the foam to last, it doesn't allow enough room for a heavy base foam or dense topper foam for a quality mattress.
Mattpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sleep Number "Air Mattress"

I have never understood how the RV Industry got conned into these glorified Air Mattresses in the first place!
Air Mattresses were junk in 1955 or so when They first appeared and are still Junk Today!
The previous owners of Our 98 Dutch Star replaced the OEM Mattress with a Chiropractic Model. we added a Memory Foam topper and now it is just about perfect!

Good Friends have that "Sleep Number" unit and haven't had a good nights sleep in months!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

we like ..

Our 2004 Journey came with a sleep number mattress ...

We are about "half-timers" so it has been used a lot ... we enjoy the mattress and have had no maintenance problems so far ...

We do decrease the pressure when we expect to gain more than a couple of thousand feet during our days travel.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I would want to try their new EZ Foam before buying one...

We bought a Sleep Number mattress in our stick house in the early '90's and sent it back under the trial period. When we bought out motorhome in 2003 we gave Sleep Number another try and like it better than most other beds we sleep on (our real preference is the original style "big bag" waterbed ...tough in a motorhome). The 2002 Sleep Number in our Ultimate is a far better product than the one we bought about 10 years before). We've been fulltiming on the bed a little over 5 years now. Our hinged bed platform sometimes has to be raised for engine service, but we have never removed the mattress from the platform to do that.

Quote:
One thing one has to add to their check list is to deflate the air bags of the Sleep by Number system when traveling from low altitude to a higher altitude because they blow up like balloons due to the barometric pressure change.
They do get harder when you gain in altitude, but we have never changed the pressure before driving anywhere and have never had a problem because of it ...we simply let air out or add air as needed when we get into bed that night. We have driven from below sea level to very high mountain passes. According to Sleep Comfort themselves, the bed cannot be damaged by over-pressurization due to changes in altitude.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Nobody seems to be middle of the road on Sleep Numbers... they either love them or hate them. We hated ours. It never failed but we just found it to be down right uncomfortable.

Our coach was only 6 months old when we replaced it with a Beauty Rest Pillow Top... just like in the stick house at the time... and we love it.

Access to our engine is from under the bed but we don't have to get under there often enough for that to be an issue... and it's been Freightliner's problem when it does happen.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
JC2
Winnie-Wise

What is interesting about our Sleep Number bed problems is that our pump problems and a few other minor issues were handled under the warranty that came with the setup. Did any of you try to get your problems fixed under warranty?
Old 07-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
I tried to get my pump and leaking bag problems addressed by Sleep Comfort, but since I was the 2nd owner, the warranty was void.

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with 2006 CRV Toad
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncircles View Post
I tried to get my pump and leaking bag problems addressed by Sleep Comfort, but since I was the 2nd owner, the warranty was void.

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with 2006 CRV Toad
That just gives the manufactures an out if their product(s) go south. Never have understood why a warranty couldn't be in affect regardless of the number of owners. The product is either good or not.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We've got the sleep number bed in our 03 Advantage. We added a pillow topper a couple of years ago which did improve the comfort some. I have no problem with the bed, but the wife can't get comfortable on it. We've had a good quality foam mattress in another coach and were quite pleased with it. Should it ever become necessary, I would replace the sleep number with a good quality foam mattress.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We have a Sleep Number in our RV and a Memory Foam at home. I actually sleep better on the Sleep Number, but that may be because after a day out in the fresh air, I just sleep better regardless of the mattress...
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

We replaced the Sleep Number in our coach with a Serta Perfect Sleeper. The Sleep Number was uncomfortable and the compressor was bad. We were second owners and the English as a second lang operators kept wanting to send us 2 airbags so I guess the war was good,
Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

It has been my experience that the mattress industry is the biggest scam going. The manufacturers change their model numbers between retailers so you cannot make fair comparisons when shopping. And, their warranties are essentially worthless. I have owned high-end Serta, Simmons and Sealy mattresses. After one or two years, they all sag and become very uncomfortable. You try to get a warranty replacement and their reps say it is not sagging enough, so they expect you to purchase another mattress to alleviate the pain.

I like the sleep number mattress. At least you can control the pressure and after four years the mattress has not sagged.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:29 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Our 2003 Itasca Horizon came with the Sleep Number mattress. We loved it, and it worked great. We liked it so much we got a look-alike from the 'Sleep Better' store on line. It was same concept, just a little better design, and not near the price. Several hiccups with pump and one chamber during the first three months, company was fast with replacements. After three years, it is still working great.

Now we have traded in the old RV on a new 2010 Journey, and it has the huge, king size memory foam mattress. We tried it for a few nights. That was enough. I pulled out the foam mattress today, and will replace it with another Sleep Better, air bed. We and our backs are just more comfortable on the air bed. Plus I like to vary the pressure once in a while, just for a bit different feel.

Plus an added bonus, you know what the barometer is doing by how the bed feels, low pressure, the bed gets harder, high pressure, the bed gets softer.
Journey39n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

We tried the Sleep Number bed at one time and returned it in the trial period. For the price paid for it, it was not comfortable at all at any setting.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote