Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 06:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Industries having financial problems?

Just read this news report from Globe Gazette... any more info?

"Rumors of layoffs at Winnebago’s Forest City, Iowa, motorhome plant caught local officials off guard on February 16. Since the RV builder wouldn’t return phone calls, it probably proved a bit nerve-wracking for some, since there were already concerns about the company’s situation. “Winnie” now says there were indeed layoffs – about 25 manufacturing workers in what the company describes as a ” workforce pacing adjustment” that will see them back at work in four weeks. "Source: globegazette.com.
bartts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Maybe. They apparently are also cutting benefits to retirees.
Winnebago is Ending Post-Retirement Healthcare | RV Business
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy View Post
Maybe. They apparently are also cutting benefits to retirees.
Winnebago is Ending Post-Retirement Healthcare | RV Business

Explains a lot about recent poor quality. With the RV business booming expected better
Old 02-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

the reason Winnie stays in business is that they adjust to the market. Products are only built when someone orders one. They are not built and then sold to dealers. Each dealer must custom order a product for their lot and resale. They do not have "stock" sitting on their storage lots.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

They are ending health care benefits for employees over 65 which seems logical to me. At that point, folks are usually on Medicare and have the premium taken out of their social security benefit. Supplemental plans vary in costs but are affordable for most. At the rising cost of medical insurance, I doubt few people will get "paid for" medical insurance in retirement.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartts View Post
Explains a lot about recent poor quality. With the RV business booming expected better
OK, I think I've seen one post re poor quality in 2017 production trailers. Can I ask what other basis you have for your generalization re poor quality? I'm not being critical and nor am I some loyal Winnebago fan. I'm pleased with my unit, but if I were to see that their quality control has slipped, I wouldn't hesitate to say so and look elsewhere when and if we replace our Minnie.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Post retirement health care benefits are pretty much a thing of the past in the private sector, unless it is a union negotiated benefit that can't be cut or a government sector benefit.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I sat in a meeting where the new CEO Michael Happe spoke at GNR last July. He talked about his goals of making sure WGO remained financially strong. He also said WGO needed to make sure their stock holders were properly reworded also. He told us he was going to do a study on the cost of operating the company Jet that sits out at the Forest City Airport. He said if they could charter an airplane when they need one that costs less than owning their own jet he would take a hard look at that. I think Mr. Happe is a very smart individual and WGO will remain financially strong.

As far as Medical Insurance costs for retires, that is costing many Corporations and Municipalities funds they can't afford to continue or they may go broke. These entities promised these benefits when they were much cheaper and more affordable. When we hear the term "unfunded mandates" many times that may be what is being referred to.

JMHO;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Older article showing Winnebago has had these problems awhile...

Manufacturing Inefficiencies Drag on Winnebago Revenue: The number of shipped motor homes drops 5.4% due to labor issues (WSJ 12/17/2015)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/manufac...nue-1450356778
Old 02-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
OK, I think I've seen one post re poor quality in 2017 production trailers. Can I ask what other basis you have for your generalization re poor quality? I'm not being critical and nor am I some loyal Winnebago fan. I'm pleased with my unit, but if I were to see that their quality control has slipped, I wouldn't hesitate to say so and look elsewhere when and if we replace our Minnie.
I'm with Bartts re: recent poor quality of Winnies. Have read several RV forum threads where people reported multiple defects right off the lot. Big ones, long lasting too. Several had to do with the brand of slide out mechanisms they used lately. Don't have any URLs to share though.

Oh, wait, here's one: Thread...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Just taking a look at Winnebago's Fiscal 2015 Annual Report (2016's isn't on the internet yet). Fiscal Year 2015 revenue was about $1 billion (up). Cash on hand about $70 million and $0 (zero) debt at the end of Fiscal 2015. Winnebago stock is near a five-year high, selling at around $33/share.

That does not sound like a company that is having financial difficulties, quite the opposite. Winnebago has always been a conservatively managed company, operating out of cash flow and cash reserves. They managed through the recession very nicely whereas lots of other RV manufacturers went out of business.

Winnebago Industries, Inc. Annual Report 2015
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Labor shortage

Quote:
Manufacturing Inefficiencies Drag on Winnebago Revenue: The number of shipped motor homes drops 5.4% due to labor issues (WSJ 12/17/2015)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/manufac...nue-1450356778
The quoted WSJ article does not detail what the "labor problems or inefficiencies" were. They have to do with available labor supply shortage as described in their 2015 annual report:

"Our motorized production facilities are located in largely rural areas of northern Iowa. In addition, the unemployment rate in these
areas is currently low. These factors limit our ability to increase motorized production volumes at a more rapid pace even if
motorized demand justified increased production."

Winnebago main facilities are located in a sparsely populated rural area of Iowa so it is common for Winnebago to use up the available labor pool. Winnebago has opened new facilities in adjacent counties (and in Oregon) and also near metropolitan areas in order to address labor shortages.

In addition, Winnebago had some employees working in lower margin production facilities, so they closed those facilities and moved the employees to the main production plant to help out the shortage of labor, thus becoming more efficient.

I have no connection to Winnebago whatsoever, I just find that it's a very interesting company with a long successful storied history. I did visit their headquarters once and was very impressed with the quality of their personnel and their customer service.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Winnebago does build some units without an order. It is sometimes done to help even out production flow and/or allow quick response to a dealer order.They are built with the most popular option packages.
When we were on a factory tour a few years ago the guide pointed out the spec units and explained what they were.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I picked up my View at Lichtsinn's in January. Speaking to a Winnebago retiree who lives in Forest City, the biggest worry is that the new CEO's office is in Minneapolis and he's moved many of the support functions (HR, etc) up to the Twin Cities. With a Forest City factory that was built in the early 70's and a smaller labor pool (as cited in posts above), there is also a fear that a new factory would be built somewhere other than Forest City.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Factors in Winnebago Changes

We toured the Lake Mills production facility for Travatos and Eras in September., shortly before we took delivery of our new Era. The plant manager was our tour guide.

He stated that some Era manufacturing that had been done at Charles City, IA was being moved to Lake Mills, and that some subsidiary production (upholstery, etc.) would be done in Charles City, Iowa. He was focused on improving efficiency at the Lake Mills plant and following the "Lean" philosophy.

Further, the folks at Lichtsinn told us that the plan is to move most, if not all larger Class A production to the newly acquired Pacific Northwest facility, retaining the Class C production in Forest City.

If I am not mistaken, the towables are manufactured in Indiana.

Lots of moving parts here, but really nothing to indicate problems, rather adaptation to become more efficient.
White Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:23 PM   #16
Site Team

I ordered a class A gas and it took three months to get on the production schedule. I think they are building all the units they can handle at the moment. White Cloud is right that they moved Diesel Class A production to Junction City Oregon, where they purchased the old Country Coach plant, including the name. My understanding is that they plan to bring back the Country Coach name in a high end Diesel model.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post

My observation is based only on my recent experience with a new 2015 42HD . Spent over a quarter million dollars and it has been out of service with one problem after another since we bought it. We have used it for less than a month and put on just 1000 miles at most.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
The quoted WSJ article does not detail what the "labor problems or inefficiencies" were. They have to do with available labor supply shortage as described in their 2015 annual report:

"Our motorized production facilities are located in largely rural areas of northern Iowa. In addition, the unemployment rate in these
areas is currently low. These factors limit our ability to increase motorized production volumes at a more rapid pace even if
motorized demand justified increased production."

Winnebago main facilities are located in a sparsely populated rural area of Iowa so it is common for Winnebago to use up the available labor pool. Winnebago has opened new facilities in adjacent counties (and in Oregon) and also near metropolitan areas in order to address labor shortages.

In addition, Winnebago had some employees working in lower margin production facilities, so they closed those facilities and moved the employees to the main production plant to help out the shortage of labor, thus becoming more efficient.

I have no connection to Winnebago whatsoever, I just find that it's a very interesting company with a long successful storied history. I did visit their headquarters once and was very impressed with the quality of their personnel and their customer service.

I see... reassuring.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
My observation is based only on my recent experience with a new 2015 42HD . Spent over a quarter million dollars and it has been out of service with one problem after another since we bought it. We have used it for less than a month and put on just 1000 miles at most.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. It . My experience with a 2013 Sunstar has been 22,000 trouble free miles over 5 years (since June 2012), so I know they are capable of building a quality product. I wish you the very best in the future!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I see... reassuring.
I wasn't trying to reassure you. My post was to clarify the rather vague WSJ article that you posted a link to.

I would suggest getting the coach in to the service facility at Winnebago headquarters. Since you are still working, I would take vacation to get it up there if it were me. Many members on here can attest to the excellent service that you will receive. Things move along very quickly and positively at the service center.

Good luck and I hope the situation turns out well for you.

Tags
ems, problems, winnebago