Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago First Purchase

Hello All,

My wife and I are considering purchasing a new Minnie 2500 FL. We've looked at Grand Design. We've considered Lance, but haven't looked at one as the dealer isn't near us. We've looked at Airstream.

Airstream is A LOT of money and I don't see the level of quality boost to justify the big difference. They also seem to have their own list of running headaches to deal with. Keeping them polished and cleaned seems like a nightmare. lol!

Grand Design I thought was awful quality wise on the lot. Everything was very cheaply done and several things were literally broken as the salesman was trying to sell it to us.

We saw one Micro Minnie 2108DS in person and at a glance I thought the quality seemed higher. It was very hot the day we went and looked here in Florida, so we really didn't get to poke around in the unit very long. We want to go again in early morning and maybe get them to plug a unit in so we can stay in it longer and check things out.

My question to the seasoned owners on here is how well do you like your Winnebago? Are they non stop quality problems or just general bugs you work through and then it's non stop miles of smiles? lol

I'm handy/mechanical. I don't mind fixing things along the way. I also don't want a perpetual nightmare that I wished I hadn't purchased. You know what I mean ...

Leaks?

Thank you
Rumpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

In our lifetime, we purchased eight new RVs. You can expect to have things that need fixed/adjusted when new, that goes with the territory. The 5th wheel toy hauler we bought before our Winnie was just as you described, (2015 Voltage purchased in 2014) a nonstop nightmare of expensive disasters that eventually cost us more to repair in the 2nd year than we were spending using it. Thankfully the Winnebago rep worked with us at the Hershey RV show in September of 2017 to get us out of that bad situation.

We have 22K miles and two years use so far and I never had to return to the dealer for any repairs, I do all routine maintenance myself. I have tinkered with minor things for sure, but this has been the most trouble free unit we have ever owned. My experience with Winnebago customer support has also been very good, answering questions and providing materials under warranty that I used myself. To be specific, wood seam tape, and a seat cover for the passenger seat that cracked. I did the upholstery myself and it looks great. It’s almost like playing the odds, kind of. Some brands have a greater chance of being a disaster, some brands have a lesser chance of being a disaster. My experience with Winnebago has been good.
Happy Camping
BT
Old 10-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #3
Site Team

Just keep in mind that ANY individual RV, from any manufacturer, can be trouble free or plagued with problems or somewhere in between.

Unfortunately, you can't trust the dealer, the salesperson, or anyone else to avoid issues. And no matter how much you trust your salesperson, once you drive off the lot you are mostly on your own with any issues. Sure, you'll have a warranty, but they aren't a big help when the service depts at dealers are full up and have a 1 to 2 month wait just to get an appointment. And stories of dealers taking months to fix even small issues are all too common.

The two things that will help you most is thorough self-inspection, requiring a full and lengthy confirmation that every part and system is working perfectly BEFORE signing papers to purchase and then camping and using the RV for 3 or more days immediately after picking it up. Preferably very nearby the dealership. With the understanding that any and all issues will be immediately made right by the dealer at that time.

I think you'll find that all experienced RVers recommend all of these things and routinely follow these steps. If you read this and other forums for any length of time you see many tales of woe from folks that didn't take these steps and now they are extremely unhappy with their purchase.

The worst case scenario is a hasty purchase, without shopping around, with a very short delivery inspection and then putting the RV into storage immediately upon delivery. With the first use months later.

PS. While any dealer can be a nightmare, a few standout as problematic. Read the forums carefully for comments about bad sales practices. Camping World dealers are probably the most warned against, but do a lot of due diligence up front of your purchase and don't rush ANYTHING.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I just bought a one year old 2018 Micro Winne 1706FB. On my fourth camping trip with it, my gal and I had just lain down upon the Queen size bed at the front of the trailer, and we heard a resounding snapping and cracking sound...and then, the entire bed frame collapsed at the front trailer wall bulkhead side, and sunk beneath us, three or more inches down into the lower, front storage compartment. We both whipped off the bed frame, and she slept on the Dinette conversion, and I on the floor in front of her.

I took the trailer into the dealer on the way back home from that trip, and we both saw that the front (very cheaply made 1 inch by 1 inch 'bulkhead' if you can call a 1 inch by 1 inch 7 foot long piece of soft lumber, a 'bulkhead' that is supporting one side of the bed frame, the mattress, and two adults!!!!) front trailer side 'bulkhead' had not snapped in half...but all the screws had literally been left standing in the front wall, as the wood simply pulled and ripped off them.

As a result of this, I had the dealer do a total rebuild of the under-support of the bed frame that supports the mattress and the people sleeping on it. They did a fabulous job of support with 2x4's that bolstered the thin wood frame as supplied by Winnebago, and then created 2x4 vertical posts that now has the bed, not merely suspended in the air, but with vertical support legs, that were cleverly placed, that did not impede the pass through capability of the front storage compartment. Two large men laid on the bed (mattress) and the entire frame did not move in the vertical or from all poles of the compass. I am very happy with the result.

That has been the only thing, to mention, as the rest of the trailer, as well as all appliances work as meant to, and by design. Most happy now, that I know the bed frame will never fail, now, and into the future of ownership and travel...and possibly ruin the trip, and/or cause injury to us. All is good now.

I might suggest, that the two of you look for a used,late model trailer, that somebody else has already taken the 40% instant depreciation, 'drive off the lot' hit, and not you, whether upon a dealer's lot, or upon a private sale's property. I got an only one model year old trailer for a savings of over $17,000.00 (and then added savings of not paying a 13 percent HST tax, ON that extra $17,000.00), under the cost of having bought new (that alone could have sat upon a dealer's lot 'in stock' ,already for over 3-10 months!) a left over 2019, or current model year 2020 Micro Minnie 1706FB.

There are good deals out there, but you just need the time to look, and not just within the resident state or province, you reside in. Sometimes, if such a good deal is out there...it just might warrant a car trip, or quick jump on a plane, to go and check the unit out, itself...(with a local dealer RV tech) going over it for you, with a current state report generated. Just some suggestions...as you have read, buying brand new, doesn't necessarily mean, in hind-sight that was the 'good move' considering that you are paying dearly for the cost of that first 40 % drive-off-the-lot depreciation, not 20 feet from the dealers lot....

Buying a long term, and long expectation of use/ownership such as a house, or a house-on-wheels, is only a matter of doing a full audit of the house or house-upon-wheels, BEFORE you write the cheque. After that...if all is good, all will be. Things will come up, as my bed frame did...but with spending $343.00...it was as the result, made 50 times a better build and more stable, than the Winnie OEM construct.

You'll be able to do that yourself as well, if things should turn up...but in buying a 'like new' unit, used...you save thousands, as YOU drive away from that dealer, or the private sale driveway.

Certainly some things to chew the cud over...

Good luck in any purchase and venue you decide to take! Happy trails!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Just keep in mind that ANY individual RV, from any manufacturer, can be trouble free or plagued with problems or somewhere in between.

Unfortunately, you can't trust the dealer, the salesperson, or anyone else to avoid issues. And no matter how much you trust your salesperson, once you drive off the lot you are mostly on your own with any issues. Sure, you'll have a warranty, but they aren't a big help when the service depts at dealers are full up and have a 1 to 2 month wait just to get an appointment. And stories of dealers taking months to fix even small issues are all too common.

The two things that will help you most is thorough self-inspection, requiring a full and lengthy confirmation that every part and system is working perfectly BEFORE signing papers to purchase and then camping and using the RV for 3 or more days immediately after picking it up. Preferably very nearby the dealership. With the understanding that any and all issues will be immediately made right by the dealer at that time.

I think you'll find that all experienced RVers recommend all of these things and routinely follow these steps. If you read this and other forums for any length of time you see many tales of woe from folks that didn't take these steps and now they are extremely unhappy with their purchase.

The worst case scenario is a hasty purchase, without shopping around, with a very short delivery inspection and then putting the RV into storage immediately upon delivery. With the first use months later.

PS. While any dealer can be a nightmare, a few standout as problematic. Read the forums carefully for comments about bad sales practices. Camping World dealers are probably the most warned against, but do a lot of due diligence up front of your purchase and don't rush ANYTHING.
Well stated!
Cheers,
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

I agree entirely and would also like to add the following. There are manufacturing defects that no pre delivery inspection could ever catch. Such as;

Microwave falling out because there was no wood behind the mount screws.

Wires pulling out of spade connectors behind the main lighting & control panel because they were not crimped properly. I had to replace over 50% of the connectors.

Suspension failed because the equalizers were bolted tight, no bushings, with the wrong hardware causing spring and tire failure. I pointed this out to the dealer and Mfg before the repair and was told by the Mfg I was carrying too much food in the kitchen. I towed it 50 miles home after the dealer repair completely empty and the suspension failed again, yes, the equalizers were again bolted tight with the same hardware and not moving. A thousand dollars later I had it fixed right.

There are a few dozen more examples that I won’t bore you with, but the final straw was the roof. I saw a post where the same year and model toy hauler had a rotted roof because the roof material was cut short. I check the sealant at least once a year usually more and all looked good. So I did a little pushing on the rear and found the roof was beginning to rot too, only two years old. I called the Mfg and explained the situation. They suggested a dealer, that they recommended, assess it and if it was a Mfg error they would fix it. The dealer discovered the roof material was cut over an inch short, trim was installed, and Dicor sealant was used to cover bare wood. Dealer filled out the claim forms as requested by the MFG. The Mfg then told me to take a hike, they weren’t fixing anything.

So if I had to provide a moral to this story it would be, do your homework on the manufacturer too, since a pre delivery check may not catch everything, and not all manufacturers back their products as well as some do.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I've had 2 Winnebago trailers, one a 2015 and one a 2017. We had Zero issues with both. Must have been lucky. And bought brand new.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
I agree entirely and would also like to add the following. There are manufacturing defects that no pre delivery inspection could ever catch. Such as;

Microwave falling out because there was no wood behind the mount screws.

Wires pulling out of spade connectors behind the main lighting & control panel because they were not crimped properly. I had to replace over 50% of the connectors.

Suspension failed because the equalizers were bolted tight, no bushings, with the wrong hardware causing spring and tire failure. I pointed this out to the dealer and Mfg before the repair and was told by the Mfg I was carrying too much food in the kitchen. I towed it 50 miles home after the dealer repair completely empty and the suspension failed again, yes, the equalizers were again bolted tight with the same hardware and not moving. A thousand dollars later I had it fixed right.

There are a few dozen more examples that I won’t bore you with, but the final straw was the roof. I saw a post where the same year and model toy hauler had a rotted roof because the roof material was cut short. I check the sealant at least once a year usually more and all looked good. So I did a little pushing on the rear and found the roof was beginning to rot too, only two years old. I called the Mfg and explained the situation. They suggested a dealer, that they recommended, assess it and if it was a Mfg error they would fix it. The dealer discovered the roof material was cut over an inch short, trim was installed, and Dicor sealant was used to cover bare wood. Dealer filled out the claim forms as requested by the MFG. The Mfg then told me to take a hike, they weren’t fixing anything.

So if I had to provide a moral to this story it would be, do your homework on the manufacturer too, since a pre delivery check may not catch everything, and not all manufacturers back their products as well as some do.

The problems you described weren't with a Winnebago, correct?

Do you own a Winnebago TT and do you like it?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2019, 07:09 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpl View Post
The problems you described weren't with a Winnebago, correct?

Do you own a Winnebago TT and do you like it?

Thanks

Correct, Not Winnebago.

I should have been more clear with that last post. Those problems, and many more, were with the 2015 Voltage toy hauler that I mentioned in post #2. I was dealing with the parent company, Keystone RV, for warranty issues, the dealer was essentially useless. A poorly built RV with an inept service department (Camping World) created quite a nightmare for us. Visually the rig looked great and all the systems worked during the pre-delivery inspection. The problems started with the first trip and never stopped. I too prefer to do my own repairs when it makes sense, and only involved the dealer when the repairs required expensive warranty parts or extensive labor/equipment that I couldn't accomplish myself.

The rig we traded in on the Voltage was a 2008 Holiday Rambler TT that was quite nice. That rig, and all our previous ones, had the usual bugs to iron out with good factory and local dealer support. I knew the RV industry went through some changes in 2008, but had no idea how bad it got, and what we were getting into with the Voltage.

We now have the rig listed in my signature which is our first motorized RV. As stated in post #2 we are very satisfied with the unit, the quality of fit and finish, and Winnebago's customer support.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I've owned two Nash TT and now own a 2002 Winnebago MH. I would recommend either manufacturer. In the case of the Nash TTs, they're made by Northwood Manufacturing, who also makes the Arctic Fox line, which is also high quality.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank you

Thank you everyone for your replies. We’re learning a lot from this forum!.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #12
2108DS Gray Goose

I purchased a micro Minnie 2108ds brand new in March. Except for the crappy Dometic air conditioner going out this trailer is of the highest quality.
gretnagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Expect The worst and hope for the best. My 2016 2401 RG has had roof
Leaks, shower leaked so bad it that had to be replaced. But still I give Winnebago TTs thumbs up. The overall quality, design and workmanship is good. It suits my needs quite well and I love it. Parts of it are built on a Friday so good luck and enjoy!
Jandjstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretnagreg View Post
I purchased a micro Minnie 2108ds brand new in March. Except for the crappy Dometic air conditioner going out this trailer is of the highest quality.
Glad to hear that you like the trailer. We're very excited. Did they have to fully replace the AC or was it fixable?
Old 10-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandjstar View Post
Expect The worst and hope for the best. My 2016 2401 RG has had roof
Leaks, shower leaked so bad it that had to be replaced. But still I give Winnebago TTs thumbs up. The overall quality, design and workmanship is good. It suits my needs quite well and I love it. Parts of it are built on a Friday so good luck and enjoy!
Glad you still love the trailer. That's awesome!

How did the shower leak? It leaked out onto the floor or behind the wall? What I don't understand looking at the showers in these things is that they are two pieces and they don't caulk the seam near the bottom. I'm wondering if that should be caulked?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

It was simply flimsy and cheap and cracked. Water came from out under the shower.
Winnebago sympathized with me but were no help. I am a tile contractor by trade and built a tile shower that work fabulous. They said they don’t use that type of surround anymore.
I would think a good urethane caulk would be a good idea at base.
Jandjstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2108ds and we’re very happy with it. We’ve had a few issues but the dealer has been exceptional about fixing things quickly and mostly while under warranty.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:48 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

As others have said, expect some problems with any RV purchase. When we bought our brand new 2019 Winnebago 2250DS off the lot in June of 2018, I went into the purchase with the full expectation I'd be doing all the repairs it would need that I could. The RV industry has a terrible reputation for quality and RV dealers a terrible reputation for maintenance.

That said, I do feel our Winnebago is one of the best available, but that doesn't mean it is "good". Here's the list of issues found during our acceptance inspection:
  • Roof seam had no caulk for several feet on the slide (had the dealer fix this before we accepted the unit)
  • Sawdust in many spots; counter tops, corners of the floor, etc, from construction
  • Chip in the paint of the bathroom door trim
Here's the list of defects found/fixed after two seasons:
  • Fresh water tank vent hose too long and kinked completely shut
  • Fresh water tank drain valve connection loose and leaking
  • Hot water heater support lumber split by the screws
  • Shower leaked at the handles -- rubber gasket inadequate and failed
  • Connection on the fresh water pump vibrated loose and leaked -- no sealant of any sort used
  • One wheel bearing had very little grease
  • One of the bolts holding a scissor jack just vibrated loose and fell out somewhere on the road. When we got to our next campsite, the jack was dangling and barely hanging on.
  • And the big one -- our "25 gallon" black tank is actually only 20 gallons! I literally weighed out exactly five gallons of water in a bucket and marked the water level on the bucket. Our black tank was exactly at the top of the toilet fitting when I poured four of those buckets in. We ended buying a 21 gallon "tank tote" to compensate.
While not defects per se, here's a list of things a "quality" manufacturer would have addressed:
  • The screws holding the panels in place over the water heater, furnace, etc, are simple wood screws that will split the thin plywood over time. I bought a pack of "finish washers".
  • Vacuum up the sawdust!
  • The screens are assembled backwards. There is a ridge on the screen frame that obviously belongs facing outward...the screens (which aren't reversible due to the operating handle slot) were assembled with the ridge inboard. This creates of 1/4" to 3/8" gap in places.
  • The framing under the bed is barely adequate and the plywood facing is so thin there's a significant risk of damage from items stored under the bed.
  • The wall paper has a bulge or wrinkle over the wall seams.
  • Use some Loctite on on the scissor jack bolts!
Those are the issues/defects we've experienced with our brand new 2019 Winnebago Minnie. We've made six trips so far lasting from four days to six weeks. The six week trip was over 7,000 miles out west. So while none of the issues I listed above were "major", I find it very revealing that this has been our experience from a "quality" manufacturer.

FWIW

Jim
Old 10-31-2019, 08:10 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Don’t rush is right!

Quote:

AMEN! We took about 2 years of looking around (probably because of how cautious we are) but it really does make a difference to GET THE RV THAT FITS YOUR LIFESTYLE! (Did I emphasize that enough?). Beds that allow one to exit without waking the other person / MPG you get on the engine / ease of driving in town / Length of RV as compared to state and national park limits / STORAGE room / weight carrying limits / room to relax and enjoy inside . We avoided a big mess this way (we bought a Class C 24D Navion - same as the View).
Buying new? When looking at dealers, we were surprised to find out that Lichtsinn is 1 mile from the factory (https://www.lichtsinn.com/) and if you buy from them they will arrange to pick you up at the nearest airport (you pay) a free rental car to get around town and puck up the many things you will need, give you 1 on 1 instruction on the use of the RV and let you stay the night free on their parking lot (with power hookup). They were by far the lowest price we could find and very reputable (be sure you at least check them out).
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:30 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2008 SUN CRUISER 38T Itasca owned for 4 years. We have had no issues of major concern, had slide glides re and re at Forest City but other than reg mtse’ all’s good. I’d get another Winnie in a heartbeat
1953m38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, winnebago