Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Thought I'd share an experiance with the factory service with you. Our rig has almost 15,000 miles on it and soon out of warranty. We had a major problem with the large slide -- the seal pulled loose and we lived in it for seven weeks without the big slide.

Anyway, I made an appointment in Forest City to have it fixed properly, and added 10 or so other things, mostly minor, for them to address.

I can only say we were very satisfied with the service. Our Service Advisor Mike Wigen was professional and always available and our Tech, Dan Hall, kept us up to date as to progress and was sincerely concerned with our issues. He even fixed an item that was not Winnebago's problem at no charge. Our appointment was for Monday and we finally left Forest City Friday afternoon. Winnebago provides free camping while at the factory, electric only, and your coach is returned to you each afternoon, so no motel bills. The parts lady even went out to the shop to look at our coach to make sure we were buying the correct extra towel bar.

There were probably 25 other owners there; most of them had owned other brands before switching to Winnebago and their stories of factory service from the other brands made us realize how lucky we were! If you can get through Iowa and need service, you simply can't go wrong!
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Thought I'd share an experiance with the factory service with you. Our rig has almost 15,000 miles on it and soon out of warranty. We had a major problem with the large slide -- the seal pulled loose and we lived in it for seven weeks without the big slide.

Anyway, I made an appointment in Forest City to have it fixed properly, and added 10 or so other things, mostly minor, for them to address.

I can only say we were very satisfied with the service. Our Service Advisor Mike Wigen was professional and always available and our Tech, Dan Hall, kept us up to date as to progress and was sincerely concerned with our issues. He even fixed an item that was not Winnebago's problem at no charge. Our appointment was for Monday and we finally left Forest City Friday afternoon. Winnebago provides free camping while at the factory, electric only, and your coach is returned to you each afternoon, so no motel bills. The parts lady even went out to the shop to look at our coach to make sure we were buying the correct extra towel bar.

There were probably 25 other owners there; most of them had owned other brands before switching to Winnebago and their stories of factory service from the other brands made us realize how lucky we were! If you can get through Iowa and need service, you simply can't go wrong!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We also just got our coach out of service. We wanted the miserable carpet removed and tile put down. This summer Winnebago service ran a special to do just that. We made an appointment for this week, delivered the coach to them and moved into the local motel (we have cats so can't stay at The Lodge)

Our tech was Darren and all I can say is the man is a wizard with tile!! He did a fantastic job lining the tiles up and did more than we even hoped for.

We also added some "fix" things to the work order once we arrived with no problem.

Thank You, Winnebago and Thank You Darren for jobs well done.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ustamiata & Savannah;

Thanks for sharing your positive experiences with us. Its folks like you who make me proud to own a Winnebago. I have never needed to go to Forest City for repairs but I have visited several times and have taken the Factory Tour 3 times.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ustamiata;

I notice you don't have any Winnebago Karma. Just say the word and we will fix you up.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 09-26-2008, 05:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Petro
I'm not sure I know what Winnebago karma is? I bet I want some, though!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ustamiata;

You should now have your Karma. Welcome to the Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum. Post often and keep us informed on your travel experiences.

Don
Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Glad there are some positive results out of Forest City. Unfortunately I have been there twice requesting front slide-out adjustment to prevent it damaging the carpet and the last time ended up even worse than it originally was. On last visit they also failed to correct two leaks. Guess I must be catching them at bad times.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

My only service visits to Forest City have been during two GNRs. I've not had any complaints about the service either time. But their service and support has gone way beyond just factory visits. Owner Relations has worked with us on several issues over the years, and we have been very pleased with their support to resolving issues. We have had many reminders of how happy we are to have bought a Winnebago!!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hey Ustamiata, I remember you! or at least your dogs Glad to hear you are fixed!

Savannah, how much did it cost to replace the carpet? I may have to swing by Iowa on my way back west.
AprilWhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Aprilwhine,

It ain't cheap but for the work involved I feel it was a deal. The tiles are $9.20 apiece. We had 66 put down. Labor was 16 hours at $95 per hour. That all comes to $2127.

We have a Journey 39k and the tile now starts at the front door and connects to the kitchen tile. Darren started the tile underneath the dash area so there are no raw edges in the front and lined up all the tile so it looks like it all was done at the same time and not years apart.

Remember he had to first remove the mangy carpet and ALL the millions of staples they use plus in the entrance area the carpet is glued to the metal base so that had to be taken up. Then he had to re-attach the carpet edges along the sides. In the front by the driver's chair it is not a straight cut which really gives it a custom look. Sorry no camera to post pictures but IF you hate your carpet like we did then you would love this .

Make an appointment and ask for Darren. Be sure and tell them you read about the project on here also. I did tell them I would be posting about how much we liked the end product.

NOW for more $$$$ they will drop the flat floor slide and tilt the above floor slide and tile all the way so there is only carpet in the slide proper. That will take more time and is alot more involved.

We gave them the coach at around noon on Tuesday and got it back at about 2 on Thursday. We stayed in a motel so they could work steady and not have to shut down at days end.

We stayed in town at the Motel 8 for two nights plus an extra half day in a mini suite. Queen bed, leather couch, recliner, desk, mini fridge and micro, tv, corner room so two nice big windows. The room was about the size of a room and a half so a nice size-- cost was $166 and that also included a charge for our cats.

We did put laminate flooring in a past MH ourselves and also loved that but it was a job since again the mangy carpet had to come out along with at least a million staples . We also had to level the floor since the carpet area was lower and then cut and install the laminate. With both of us working it still took us a week of steady labor and long days and this was a 30 ft no slide rig. Now we are to old and fat to crawl on our hands and knees for any amount of time so we pay for someone younger and alot more agile to do it
Old 09-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Aprilwhine, I forgot to add we are fulltime with no home base so doing any of this ourselves would have been nearly impossible.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Savannah - With tile instead of carpeting in the living room where the slide-out comes in, does the slide-out leave any imprints on the tile where it comes to rest like it does on the carpeting? I've tried to get Winnebago to adjust my slide-out up about 1/4" so it won't imprint the carpet so deeply or dirty the carpet along the front and back of the slide but they just keep saying it has to align along the outside of the coach with all the trim. I've told them to-heck with the outside, fix the inside. But they don't listen.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Savannah! The fuzzy hubby and I are talking seriously about this mod. We have a cat too, and it seems like we can never get the carpet cleaned of kitty litter and hair.
AprilWhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster2, our slides always left a deep indent in the carpet and sometimes left a dirty mark and sometimes didn't. I just stopped worrying about it since overall the carpet looked mangy. So far there is no mark from the slide on the tile but then we just had it done.

Last year we did have the slide adjusted because it was hitting the inside trim on the mirror and actually tearing the trim piece off. No clue what was happening outside, never looked.

On the curb side slide which is an above floor slide the front is on carpet and left an indention. The rear of that slide is on tile and did not leave any marks.

I have seen an ad somewhere about a piece of plastic that can be put under the slide between it and the carpet to keep the dirty mark off the carpet. Maybe someone here knows more about that item.

Our driver's side slide is a flat floor one and inside to the front is pretty level with the floor but at the rear by the dining table the slide floor is about 1/2 inch higher. I looked and the outside trim is lined up.