Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

Winnebago disappointment

Third one I've owned (and the last).

Bought all 3 used with very low mileage and took care of all problems myself with the warm feeling that if anything serious went wrong Winny would back me up.

Roof is delaminating after 8 years into what I thought was a 10 year fiberglass warranty. Always been covered or inside and only 15000 miles.

Not only were they not willing to fix it but I was VERY surprised by their rudeness.

Guess we all live and learn.

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER AGAIN! I'll probably just sell it and give up RVing. Its a shame because only last month did our situation change to the point we can now start traveling.

If YOU buy one, good luck, I never will again.
ltcps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcps View Post

Bought all 3 used with very low mileage and took care of all problems myself with the warm feeling that if anything serious went wrong Winny would back me up.

Roof is delaminating after 8 years into what I thought was a 10 year fiberglass warranty. Always been covered or inside and only 15000 miles.

Not only were they not willing to fix it but I was VERY surprised by their rudeness.

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER AGAIN! I'll probably just sell it and give up RVing. Its a shame because only last month did our situation change to the point we can now start traveling.

How come you belong to the "National RV Owner's Club" if you have a Winnebago? Also, I'd like to see some pictures of that roof.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/sati...rs-198445.html
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Just curious. Did you deal with the local dealer or with the factory or both? Were any modifications or holes drilled that would give them an out?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Seems like you have a lot of different RV's and lot's of problems. If I were you I would probably give up RVing with all the bad luck you have had.
Oh Snap!

We LOVE our Adventurer (our second Winnebago) and think Winnebago's factory support is great. Let me see they have been in business how long? You don't do that by pissing people off.

Just my feelings on the company.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Most warranties are extended only to the first owner and does not pass through to subsequent owners.

Ken
Old 04-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
I helped | retired moderator

Folks, let's knock off the personal comments please.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcps View Post

Itcps,
Just wondering.
"Bought all 3 used with very low mileage and took care of all problems myself with the warm feeling that if anything serious went wrong Winny would back me up."

Does that statement mean you purchased all three with "FACTORY" or, off brand extended or, regular warranty. Especially when you say "Winne would back me up"

When you say, "Delaminating", what exactly does that mean? Is the roof coming off the coach, or, is the clear coat peeling from the paint on the edges or curved parts?

I certainly understand your frustration level but, RVing, while sometimes expensive and troublesome, can be a ton of fun. It's roving hotel room. You can stay anywhere you like and still enjoy this great U.S. of A. I don't think I'd jump out of the RVing life style with only a few problems. You're certainly not the only one who's had their share of RV issues. I've done considerably harder repairs on our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 CAT, and way more of them, than I ever did on any other coach we've owned.

I've done stuff I never dreamed I'd be doing. But, that's life with these rolling Kleenex boxes. We love being out in it enjoying things like different places and meeting different folks.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Folks, let's knock off the personal comments please.
That was probably my comment. Sorry, I'll be more careful in the future.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Sorry to hear about your problems and I understand some problems cause us more grief than others. We all have problems with our coaches from time to time and varying degrees of problems. I've had 3 Winnebago's and was happy will all, but that does not mean they were problem free. As has been stated above warranties usually do not transfer to future owners, only the first owner.

I think you must have been happy with first 2 coaches since you bought a third? Without seeing a picture of roof or a better description of problem it is hard for anyone here to provide possible solutions to save money on repair.

Wish you the best and hope you do not give up on this lifestyle (hobby).
Old 04-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Our coach is an '04. The clear coat on the top of the front cap and on the radius of the roof edges got ugly about a year ago. It looked sort of like a week old sunburn peeling. That was easily repainted and new clear coat applied. I considered this normal wear and tear.

THERE WAS NO DELAMINATION.

It is my understanding that delamination is the separation of the fiberglass from the underlayment ... and 99.9% of the time this is caused by water intrusion
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We really do not know what the roof problem is. But here is one company you can research and maybe they sell what you need. No I have no connection or have ever researched them.

RV & Marine Technologies, DIY kits available. Ad in FMCA 4/14 issue.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

In order for the warranty to transfer from the 1st owner to the 2nd owner you have to fill out the Second Owner Registration Form.

Winnebago Industries Second Owner Registration

If you haven't done that Winnebago doesn't recognize you as an owner and therefore will not extend any benefits. If you are the third or fourth owner I doubt you would be eligible for any warranty assistance.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Indeed an odd situation. Our 2000 MH has the original roof, had one water leak because the previous owner didn't inspect and repair caulking annually as recommended by Winnebago.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Most warranties are extended only to the first owner and does not pass through to subsequent owners.

Ken
I'd have to question that... I've had plenty of RV's and automobiles that when purchased used, still had remaining factory warranty that remained in force by the factory.

To the OP:
My 2005 Itasca came with a 10-year roof warranty, so I'd assume yours did too. While I have had good luck with Winnebago customer service, it hasn't always been perfect, or even good... when I called a few times regarding the infamous windshield frame rust and leaks, on my last call, the rep hung up on me when he kept insisting that it isn't a 'known problem' and I challenged him to do a Google on the subject... 'click'!

It kind of came across that he was tired of having this repeated discussion with Winnebago/Itasca owners, but yet claimed with me that 'it's not an issue'. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

What do you mean by delaminating? Winnebago says you should inspect the roof edges yearly-where they roll into the channels. I have had to redo mine and am considering purchase of a 2004 which needs the same redo as well. Not a big job but a little tedious.
Richard
Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
Our coach is an '04. The clear coat on the top of the front cap and on the radius of the roof edges got ugly about a year ago. It looked sort of like a week old sunburn peeling. That was easily repainted and new clear coat applied. I considered this normal wear and tear.

THERE WAS NO DELAMINATION.

It is my understanding that delamination is the separation of the fiberglass from the underlayment ... and 99.9% of the time this is caused by water intrusion
Who or how did you get your roof radius edges repainted? My 2004 Meridian did this 4-5 years ago and the Winnebago paint company repainted it free at Forest City, but must not have done a very good job even the second time as I noticed the other day the clear coat has started peeling off again.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

I'm on my third Winnebago and have nothing but praises for the coach and customer service at the factory. They build a fine coach and stand behind it and also provide any information you need on the coach.

Delamination is caused by water intrusion so my question to you is when you purchased this USED motor home did you inspect the roof and then apply caulking or sealant to all the seams on the roof? On my '04 Adventurer I had to run eternabond tape from the front of the coach to the rear on both sides and then while I was at it I did all the other seams.

Apparently you don't realize that these RV's need looking after as they flex going down the road and a little TLC goes a long way.

Lastly I will state it is about time you bought a new Winnebago and then maintain it correctly.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Well, one of these days someone will explain just what "DELAMINATING" is on these roofs. I asked earlier in this thread but, no one seems to know the answer. I don't consider the paint "Peeling" as, delamination. It's just simply peeling. I've seen the clear coat peeling on about 10 zillion cars/trucks/motor homes/ and more for dozens of years. Someday these painters and manufacturers will figure out how to paint cars etc. and not have the clear coat peel off.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Hi again,

Delaminating means that the fiberglass has come unglued from the either luan or wood that is underneath it. You will see probably wavy fiberglass or a bubbld in it. This is caused by water getting in somehow.

Delaminating usually happens on the sides, front or rear but I have never seen it on the roof.

Hope this answers your question,

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2001 Winnebago Minnie Winnie .. and we love it! Never had a problem with the roof, no leaks, no problems. We scrub it down in the spring, and again in the fall when its time to put it away, never a problem. When it comes to any minor problems or questions we have had, we have been never had a problem with our local Winnebago dealer. I would buy another Winnebago in a camper minute!
centurian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago