Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
That was not intended as a "dig" at you.
Sorry I snapped at you, guess I am a little defensive I posted this thread out of frustration and accused of malice in the second post.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #42
Winnebago Master

That's OK. I understand. I've been on the receiving end of that stuff too.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #43
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
Sorry I snapped at you, guess I am a little defensive I posted this thread out of frustration and accused of malice in the second post.
Tom,

I sent the second post (your original post was #1, mine was #2). I said exactly and completely this:

Any way you can take it to the factory in Forest City? They do a much better job of handling problems and working with you than ANY dealer shop I've ever dealt with.

I offered that suggestion as a legitimate alternative. What part of it did you feel was an accusation of malice? Am I missing something? I feel for you and your frustration and certainly don't want to add to it!
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Tom,

I sent the second post (your original post was #1, mine was #2). I said exactly and completely this:

Any way you can take it to the factory in Forest City? They do a much better job of handling problems and working with you than ANY dealer shop I've ever dealt with.

I offered that suggestion as a legitimate alternative. What part of it did you feel was an accusation of malice? Am I missing something? I feel for you and your frustration and certainly don't want to add to it!
Sorry to you too I meant second response
Old 02-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #45
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
Sorry to you too I meant second response
Thank you for helping me understand that. Again, hope all of your issues get resolved.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:23 AM   #46
Winnebago Master

Tom, I think we all are feeling bad for you. On this flat screen words can be typed with one intent but received in another. God knows that this has happened to me more than once. Good to see things put straight.

Back a few months ago a guy was about to take delivery for a Tour from a CW. One wall, something to do with tile, was a mess. The ping pong match started between the dealer and CW. The potential customer started to get real picky because of his frustration and went through the rig with a magnifying glass. Not a good outcome. He walked away from the deal very angry.

In my opinion the coach should have never left the factory if things were as bad as described. As I understand it, dealers are required to take delivery of new units, no matter how poorly built they are. It is the dealers responsibility to make it all good.

I feel that this policy is being carried far beyond it's original intent. A missing screw, loose trim or non-functioning component might slip by the inspectors. All might have been in place and functioning the day the unit left the factory. Stuff happens on the road. But what the manufactures seem to be doing is ignoring major building errors like I described above.

Those of us who have Winnebago products truly like them for the most part. It is poor dealer service and factory quality control that is frustrating the "happy trails" desire.

Many of us have been told that Winnebago has folks monitoring irv2. I guess we can see some results through this thread and the newer coaches having better grill mounts. (Just hoping.) But, do any of the executives take their products off the line at random and use them as we do? Would the president or Winnebago like to be the proud recipient of Tom's coach or others like his? I doubt it. I hope he gets this message. "Expect for your customers what you expect for yourself." He is in a position to MAKE it happen. We are in a position of hoping it will happen.

Ah. To vent!

Happy trails all.

Rick
Old 02-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

IMO For many years Winnebago was a manufacturing driven company. Simply put, build a great product and they will come. It is my belief over the last few years the Winnebago business paradigm was slowly changed to a sales driven business. Now, the manufacturing and associated quality systems are subordinate to sales. Simply put, sell as many as you can and make manufacturing produce them.....no matter what. It reflects a conscious leadership decision for near term revenues even with the nearly guaranteed negative impact to a reputation of quality. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #48
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersharkjd View Post
IMO For many years Winnebago was a manufacturing driven company. Simply put, build a great product and they will come. It is my belief over the last few years the Winnebago business paradigm was slowly changed to a sales driven business. Now, the manufacturing and associated quality systems are subordinate to sales. Simply put, sell as many as you can and make manufacturing produce them.....no matter what. It reflects a conscious leadership decision for near term revenues even with the nearly guaranteed negative impact to a reputation of quality. Just my thoughts.
I agree
Old 02-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #49
TAN
Winnebago Owner

When I purchased my MH I found Winnebago useless, Finlly I just paid a dealer to fix it. Workhorse on the other hand was fantastic. Winnebago has no warrenty.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #50
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersharkjd View Post
X2!!!

Look how folks are complaining about Fleetwood. They once were considered a well built unit, like Winnebago was. A few years back they went to the McDonald's principle: Build them fast and sell them fast.

When the RV crash came many companies folded as we all know. Those that survived have been taking risks that may not be in their best long term interest as you are suggesting. You articulated the concept very well. Thank you.

I hope the management will get back some of the family friendly attitude in the plant and showroom. Bate and switch never fools folks for long. Winnebago is going to economize themselves right out of stockholders via loss of reputation than sales it would seem if this present business model continues.

I just hope we don't have future with the same problems of repair as the Alfa folks are and others like them are today.

Pray for a new Winnebago attitude that is more like the old friendly one.

Rick
Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #51
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Tom, I think we all are feeling bad for you. On this flat screen words can be typed with one intent but received in another. God knows that this has happened to me more than once. Good to see things put straight.

Back a few months ago a guy was about to take delivery for a Tour from a CW. One wall, something to do with tile, was a mess. The ping pong match started between the dealer and CW. The potential customer started to get real picky because of his frustration and went through the rig with a magnifying glass. Not a good outcome. He walked away from the deal very angry.

In my opinion the coach should have never left the factory if things were as bad as described. As I understand it, dealers are required to take delivery of new units, no matter how poorly built they are. It is the dealers responsibility to make it all good.

I feel that this policy is being carried far beyond it's original intent. A missing screw, loose trim or non-functioning component might slip by the inspectors. All might have been in place and functioning the day the unit left the factory. Stuff happens on the road. But what the manufactures seem to be doing is ignoring major building errors like I described above.

Those of us who have Winnebago products truly like them for the most part. It is poor dealer service and factory quality control that is frustrating the "happy trails" desire.

Many of us have been told that Winnebago has folks monitoring irv2. I guess we can see some results through this thread and the newer coaches having better grill mounts. (Just hoping.) But, do any of the executives take their products off the line at random and use them as we do? Would the president or Winnebago like to be the proud recipient of Tom's coach or others like his? I doubt it. I hope he gets this message. "Expect for your customers what you expect for yourself." He is in a position to MAKE it happen. We are in a position of hoping it will happen.

Ah. To vent!

Happy trails all.

Rick
As I have stated in past posts, I am a aircraft mechanic for a major airline. Could you just imagine if Boeing or Airbus was to miss just a few screws let alone a major component misalignment or failure as these RV manufacturers seem to. We accept it as normal and just take it back for repair. Unfortunately that is where we are, but the truth is with proper training, quality control is possible. For the price we pay for these motor homes it should be imperative that they not leave the factory with such major problems as the OP has had on a brand new Tour the first day out. Some say these are houses on wheels & you should expect some problems, I disagree. If a passenger jet can make several high speed landing day in & day out and not see as many problems then it is possible to build quality. I realize there is a price to pay, but I personally would give up some of the fancy trim for quality in the products that are necessary.

To the OP, if you are still having problems with your AC units leaking, may I suggest a call to Eric Botts at RVP (RV Products) at Airxcel. The only number I have is (316) 832-3400. This information is from irv2 member Dengraham. Aircel is Coleman.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #52
Winnebago Camper

WOWI just joined this forum to see if I could get some insight to Winnebago and their lack of customer service.
We purchased our 2014 BHDS from Findlay RV in Las Vegas and within a week we had a list of items needing repair, I will cut and paste it below so you can see. It is now over 24 items long and 3 months later all I get is lip service from Mike Vanderpool @ Winnebago and no action, the dealer is supposed to take it in Tuesday for a 1 day repair which they now claim they cant complete even with the 2 month lead time its has taken then to get parts. We are staying in the trailer for about another month while I finish up a project here then we are returning to our N Cal home and I want this thing fixed before we leave Vegas however nobody seems to know what customer service is. I had to post photos on the Winnebago facebook page to get anything going and that was after they removed them and banned me......I then told them was going to put a photo of a lemon on the unit and talk to everyone who would listen about how crappy their customer service is. There is more but I will save the rest of the rant for later...here is the list of still outstanding issues...( I fixed several myself and should invoice them for my time) ............

2014 31BHDS
List of problems:

(Front to rear)
1. Reading lights over bed, one loose one has metal peeling off it
2. Screw missing from curtains, never installed (front bedroom left side)
3. Main entry screen door lower part appears screen is to small and keeps coming out
4. Static in speakers when using surround sound or radio or CD (inside and out)
5. Remote control for TV does not work 100% of time (batteries have been replaced)
6. Damaged wood under sink from water leak
7. Wood around water pump not secure
8. Trim on backs of all dining seating is coming up and loose, looks very bad
9. Scratch on refrigerator door
10. Toilet will not hold water
11. Shower track not draining
12. Bathroom Interior door will not close securely
13. Bathroom Exterior door does not close securely and seal out air
14. Bathroom Exterior door will not lock
15. LED light strip under awning has twisted, needs replacement and better installation than before
16. Screw missing (never installed) @ cable connection
17. Major water leak from under unit, appears to be grey water fitting not secure as confirmed by Findlay tech, need black underlayment replaced if damaged from leak as well. Please provide photographs when it is apart to confirm condition.
18. Fresh water tank reads 1/3 full even when empty
19. Outdoor kitchen door warped
20. Wood trim in outdoor kitchen is ruined due to warped door allowing moisture in
21. Refrigerator door in outdoor kitchen hit wood when opened and closed
22. Water damage to wood behind pull out cook top in outdoor kitchen due to grey water tank leak (#17)
23. Weather stripping on rear slideout (front side, where connections are) is peeling off

Other issues unresolved:
Electric level system that we thought we were getting not on unit.
Rear ladder that we thought we were getting not on unit.
GW1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #53
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW1115 View Post
WOWI just joined this forum to see if I could get some insight to Winnebago and their lack of customer service.
We purchased our 2014 BHDS from Findlay RV in Las Vegas and within a week we had a list of items needing repair, I will cut and paste it below so you can see. It is now over 24 items long and 3 months later all I get is lip service from Mike Vanderpool @ Winnebago and no action, the dealer is supposed to take it in Tuesday for a 1 day repair which they now claim they cant complete even with the 2 month lead time its has taken then to get parts. We are staying in the trailer for about another month while I finish up a project here then we are returning to our N Cal home and I want this thing fixed before we leave Vegas however nobody seems to know what customer service is. I had to post photos on the Winnebago facebook page to get anything going and that was after they removed them and banned me......I then told them was going to put a photo of a lemon on the unit and talk to everyone who would listen about how crappy their customer service is. There is more but I will save the rest of the rant for later...here is the list of still outstanding issues...( I fixed several myself and should invoice them for my time) ............

2014 31BHDS
List of problems:

(Front to rear)
1. Reading lights over bed, one loose one has metal peeling off it
2. Screw missing from curtains, never installed (front bedroom left side)
3. Main entry screen door lower part appears screen is to small and keeps coming out
4. Static in speakers when using surround sound or radio or CD (inside and out)
5. Remote control for TV does not work 100% of time (batteries have been replaced)
6. Damaged wood under sink from water leak
7. Wood around water pump not secure
8. Trim on backs of all dining seating is coming up and loose, looks very bad
9. Scratch on refrigerator door
10. Toilet will not hold water
11. Shower track not draining
12. Bathroom Interior door will not close securely
13. Bathroom Exterior door does not close securely and seal out air
14. Bathroom Exterior door will not lock
15. LED light strip under awning has twisted, needs replacement and better installation than before
16. Screw missing (never installed) @ cable connection
17. Major water leak from under unit, appears to be grey water fitting not secure as confirmed by Findlay tech, need black underlayment replaced if damaged from leak as well. Please provide photographs when it is apart to confirm condition.
18. Fresh water tank reads 1/3 full even when empty
19. Outdoor kitchen door warped
20. Wood trim in outdoor kitchen is ruined due to warped door allowing moisture in
21. Refrigerator door in outdoor kitchen hit wood when opened and closed
22. Water damage to wood behind pull out cook top in outdoor kitchen due to grey water tank leak (#17)
23. Weather stripping on rear slideout (front side, where connections are) is peeling off

Other issues unresolved:
Electric level system that we thought we were getting not on unit.
Rear ladder that we thought we were getting not on unit.
Your first mistake was Findlay! I had really good luck with CW at South Las Vegas. Maybe, if you give them a call, they can help .
Old 03-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #54
Winnebago Master

It is sad that this unit left the factory in such condition. GW1115 is not the first new Winnebago customer I have read with a list as extensive. These are not minor annoyances. The grey water issue is a health hazard. But, the workmanship issues are a real concern. Winnebago has to be loosing customers with such negative advertizing.

My understanding is that the dealer is to address most of the minor build issues with the pre-delivery inspection. Most dealers don't do this job correctly which compounds the destroying of the Winnebago reputation. But, Winnebago customer service is falling down as of late. I was with a couple in Spicewood, TX who had a brand new Winnebago. The bed had to retract before the slide could come in. It failed several times on their maiden voyage to Spicewood. The dealer nor Winnebago were very helpful, with Winnebago all but refusing to get involved. This was only one of many issues.

It is sad for me to say. The glory days of the Winnebago reputation for a quality coach seem to be over. We now can count on average to poor in quality and service. I hope this new reputation is salvageable by the workers and management of Winnebago Industries before it becomes permanent. I never have been to the GNR in Forest City. I wonder if the pres of the company would be willing to sit with folks with real concerns, as listed above, and be willing to take real and productive action to correct them on the assembly line.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #55
Winnie-Wise

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
It is sad that this unit left the factory in such condition. GW1115 is not the first new Winnebago customer I have read with a list as extensive. These are not minor annoyances. The grey water issue is a health hazard. But, the workmanship issues are a real concern. Winnebago has to be loosing customers with such negative advertizing.

My understanding is that the dealer is to address most of the minor build issues with the pre-delivery inspection. Most dealers don't do this job correctly which compounds the destroying of the Winnebago reputation. But, Winnebago customer service is falling down as of late. I was with a couple in Spicewood, TX who had a brand new Winnebago. The bed had to retract before the slide could come in. It failed several times on their maiden voyage to Spicewood. The dealer nor Winnebago were very helpful, with Winnebago all but refusing to get involved. This was only one of many issues.

It is sad for me to say. The glory days of the Winnebago reputation for a quality coach seem to be over. We now can count on average to poor in quality and service. I hope this new reputation is salvageable by the workers and management of Winnebago Industries before it becomes permanent. I never have been to the GNR in Forest City. I wonder if the pres of the company would be willing to sit with folks with real concerns, as listed above, and be willing to take real and productive action to correct them on the assembly line.
Not true we have had no issues to speak of, - we got and get excellent support from Winnebago - where does all this Winnebago bashing come from.

[moderator edit]
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #56
Winnie-Wise

I was just at the Winnebago factory in Forest City last Oct 1st. Their customer service was outstanding and they went the extra mile to make sure that my item was fixed to my satisfaction and their satisfaction. I had a gear failure in the Power Gear slideout mechanism. A side panel was scratched during the installation of the new slideout arm so Winnebago repainted the whole panel (no charge of course).

While there, I had them reseal all of the joints and they adjusted the main patio awning. They were thorough, professional, customer service oriented, polite and very very knowledgeable. I had a great time for the three days that I was there. I enjoyed my time with the Winnebago staff and with other RVers who were there from all over the country and from Canada. I had a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Winnebago in any way, shape or form and neither are any friends or relatives or acquaintances. I am just an RVer who is the happy owner of one of their products.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #57
TAN
Winnebago Owner

When Winnebago makes the slides they wrape them in plastic, they put a flat peice of plastic flat bare around the slide to help hold the plastic on. This is to keep the dust out. They are now put away till they are needed. That flat bare needs to be removed when they put the slide in. In our MH they forgot to remove this. So we had a pice of flat bare with plastic wrapped around it hanging out onder our slide. Our MH was two months to the day old and we had slept in it two nights. I had to pay $150.00 to have this removed at a Winnebago dealer. Winnebago could not have cared less. Would I by an other Winnebago? Not ever.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #58
Winnebago Master

What is a "Bare"?
Old 03-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #59
TAN
Winnebago Owner

I was getting my wife to help me and we both thought I had spelled it right. May be the spelling should be bar. It was a flat piece of plastic 1/6" X 1" and as long as my slide. It was just sloppy work that it was not removed. I can understand this being left in by mastake but being charged $150.00 to have it removed at a winy dealer is a bit much. There were other problams that winy didn't take care of.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #60
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAN View Post
I was getting my wife to help me and we both thought I had spelled it right. May be the spelling should be bar. It was a flat piece of plastic 1/6" X 1" and as long as my slide. It was just sloppy work that it was not removed. I can understand this being left in by mastake but being charged $150.00 to have it removed at a winy dealer is a bit much. There were other problams that winy didn't take care of.
A piece of plastic 9 years ago, how is the MH other than that ?
rream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, service