Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Winnebago and Itasca Difference

Hello,
I am new to the forum and have enjoyed the post in different forums. This is a good place to learn about rv's and the incidents that occur etc.

My question is what is the difference between Winnebago's and Itstaca's. I looked at winnebago industries website and looked over both but am confused to the differences, say in quality etc?

Any one like to give their opinions or experiences?

Also I am curious how Tiffin MH compare to winnebagos and itstacas?

Thanks for allowing me to participate in the forum.

rops
rops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

rops;
Let me be the first to welcome you to iRV2. You have come to the right place for your answers. We have a wealth of info available to you just by asking. I have never owned a Tiffin MH so I can't comment on that question. As for the difference between Winnebago & Itasca, I believe they are basically the same. Some here will probably tell you the Itasca has a few more frills.

I would like to encourage you to jump up to the New Member Check In and introduce your self. You will receive more welcomes there.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago and Istaca difference

Thanks Don
rops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Another hearty welcome Rops. When we were finalizing the deal on our current rig, we spent some time browsing thru the Winnebago and Itasca rigs on the dealer lot. I would say it is like comparing a Ford to a Mercury or a Chevrolet to a Buick. For any given model, the basics are the same but the Itasca's seemed to have a bit higher trim level and a few more fufu items.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi Rops and welcome,
You have open up one of the biggest questions with no firm answers you could ask. Many (Winnebago/Itasca) owners will give you many different answers! My experience, higher level trim line on the Itasca and what is extra on Winnebago is standard on Itasca. Having said that, I'm now ducking the other owners and their opinions.

I'm on my third Itasca and never looked back! By the way, absolutely nothing wrong with the Tiffin. They may be slightly ahead of the curve now from Winne on what they offer. Bottom line, what fits for what you need, both are good.

Again, welcome aboard!!!!!
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Rops,

I have learned much on this site. It might not be the biggest but you always get helpful advice.

We had an '01 Adventurer and now an '05 Suncruiser. We bought the Itasca because we got a better deal on it. I agree with theFord/Mercury comparison. It has more mirrors inside than the Winnie and a couple nicer touches. When we buy our next one it will be the dealer and the deal rather than Winnie or Itasca. Of course we'll also check the Newmars and Tiffins with the stuff we want.... But I really think it will be either a Winnie or Itasca!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I agree with the previous posters; the Itasca has a bit more glitz; for example, in the Winnebago version of our coach, the ceiling lights are not bordered, in the Itasca, there's a wood trim border that matches the coach woodwork. Our previous coach was a Tiffin, and there's a lot to be said for their quality and support. But Winnebago has impressed me with the same level of quality and support, and some things, like EMS and parts labeling, that Tiffin doesn't have.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We had an Itasca and now have a Sightseer. As others have said, a lot of the diff is cosmetic. But there are some others in that some devices are included on the Itasca that are not on the other: Inverter, auto transfer switch, Audio-Visual switch box, and dual pane, tinted widows come to mind. The only one we cared about was the inverter but luckily they had it pre-wired so it was not a huge deal to install one. Oh, and the Itasca had basement air (I now prefer roof but it is not a big deal either way to me). Another item that I had not checked is the size of the propane tank...the Sightseer's is small but that may be a model year thing and not Itasca/Sightseer thing.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

To follow up on Belgique, there are Itasca standard items that are optional at extra cost on Winnebagos. Seem to vary year by year.

N Dienes
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to the forum Rops. You will find it has good information on many subjects just as I have.

We looked at the Itasca lineup of coaches but they did not carry the particular floorplan option we wanted and found in the Winnebago line. It did seem that like many have mentioned it was like comparing Ford and Mercury, some standard trim or option items on the Itasca but overall not that much difference.

Did look at the Tiffin floorplan that was similar to what we got, but they have no king size bed available in that floorplan. Looking forward to that sleep number king bed. They are also a quality coach but we liked the Winnebago.

Good luck whatever you choose.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Same quality in Winnebago/Itasca. Same manufacturer. The Itasca line usually runs a little higher price.
This was one way fro Winnebago to sell more RV's in a given area. Without over lapping either line in another dealer selling region.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

As an Itasca Suncruiser owner, I think the Chevy and Caddie is more like it. Engine and many parts are the same, but the Caddie has more bells and whistles. Buy either one and you will get a great coach. We love ours.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We really like the basement A/C used by Winnebago & Itasca. The living area is much quieter than motor homes with roof top units.
Bob and Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago-Itasca

I own a 2004 Adventurer and my neighbor has a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser and I think I have more amenities on the Adventurer than he does. The insides seem to be the same however there may be a few differences such as where I have a square mirror they have a oblong mirror of vice-a-versa.

As far as the comparison to the Tiffin, I have not been in a Tiffin, however Winnebago has a few nice features that I don't think Tiffin has, like Heat Pump, engine heat in living compartment while running down the road, More Ayd heater which gives you hot water after running down the road without turning on the hot water heater which is nice for washing hands for lunch.
Winnebago RV's also manufacture a lot of their components at factory except for appliances. In another words if you needed a fresh water tank they have it there or can make it for you. Most Rv maufacturers have to go to a second party to get their parts. Plus the front of a Winnebago is metal and not wood.

Lastly I thnk that the Winnebago service system at the factory is great and that you should go to Forest City, Iowa and take the tour on how they are made.

Welcome to the forum and I'm sure you will get a world of info here.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

from my exp winn and itas are the same and stand behind their product which in these days and times is hard to come by. Winn made a repair 4 years after warr ran out without me having to ask for it. It probly only cost them 4 or 500 dollors but the have a cust for life.