Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Here's some food for thought. Why is the Winnebago Forum bulging at the seams with questions, problems, and follow-up issues?
I looked at the others like, Newmar, Alfa, etc. and they don't seem to have the issues that Winnebago or for that matter Workhorse has. Is this because there are more Winnebagos on the road or is there really a problem. I'm looking to the future and a DP but my comfort level with all the issues and QC problems with Winnebago has me nervous. If I'm going to spend 200,000.00 for a new coach. Allegro, Monaco or Newmar would be where I might start now!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Here's some food for thought. Why is the Winnebago Forum bulging at the seams with questions, problems, and follow-up issues?
I looked at the others like, Newmar, Alfa, etc. and they don't seem to have the issues that Winnebago or for that matter Workhorse has. Is this because there are more Winnebagos on the road or is there really a problem. I'm looking to the future and a DP but my comfort level with all the issues and QC problems with Winnebago has me nervous. If I'm going to spend 200,000.00 for a new coach. Allegro, Monaco or Newmar would be where I might start now!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I can asure you that anyone that has a MH has issues. I have friends that have other brands and they seem to have more issues than I had. Winnebago owners seem to be pretty anal. The first year of MH purchase is the worst. After you get through that it seemed to really settle down for me. Also Winnebago seems to stand behind their product. Mine was completely re-skinned when Winnebago found out they got some bad fiberglass from one of there vendors. The gel coat started popping off. They first tried to repair mine then had the coach sent back to Forest City for a complete new skin.

tmcgeesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:08 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Have a friend also with a FW Discovery who is in a group law suite with FW. All RV's have some thing that could have been done better.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:01 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmcgeesr:
snip....

Winnebago owners seem to be pretty anal. .... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frankly, I think that is a load of crap.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago has been selling more class "A" than anyother mfg for several years now.
Last year drove from Calif to Iowa and about ever other unit was a newer Winnebago. At night when we would stop there would be about half winn's verses the rest of the rigs. The rig that seemed to be second was Dutch Stars.

Winnobego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:33 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I don't think the real stats would support your assertion Winnobego. I'm a MH watcher as well and I-75 is motorhome alley for the trip to Florida. We drove our MH down in November, went back and for in the Toad for Xmas - and what we observed wasn't anywhere near 50%. Saw far MORE Fleetwood products than Winnies, which I found surprising.

My guess is that you don't see a lot of late model Winnie resale units on the market because most owners are too busy trying to fix all the flaws in the first year or two. When I was refueling at a Flying J on the way down to Florida in November, I was next to a fellow in a few year old Horizon. He told me that he had a ton of flaws in all three Winnie products he has owned. BUT, he did say that after he got 20 or so problems fixed he generally had very few additonal problems arise.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

After reading each companies filing with the SEC each will list number of units they sell and in Class "A" Winnebago has sold more. Note Thor has now exceed Fleetwood in sales of all Class A, C, towables ( Trailor and 5th wheels) Fleetwood just anounced a decrease in sales of motorhome for the last qtr. Something wrong there because Winn, Thor and Monaco all announce increase for the last qtr and Thor has an increase of orders from the dealer show to over 70%. All three have a back log of orders and Fleetwood is going to shut down some plants to allow inventory to lower. And yes I do have a little stock in each one and the best preformer is Fleetwood. Kinda strange. All four have done well. Wish I could say that about some others.

Winnobego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 01:50 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Winno, you (and others here) may find this thread interesting - be sure to go through the 4 pages to see all the fine points.Journey top seller
Old 01-29-2005, 04:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

ive said it once and i will say it again. a few years back fleetwood use to be #1. started having qc problems and look at them now. it seems winn is heading down the same path. when its time for me to trade i will be looking at a newmar. some people say winn monitors this site. i find that hard to believe with all the qc issues they are still having. when your mh stays at the dealer for almost 6 months in the first year you own it something is wrong and from the way it looks im not alone. now i will have to take it back for another recall. all i can say is thank goodness for the help we get from you folks.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

IMHO, I think us folks who own Winnebago products are just very enthusiastic about them and are more likely to participate in this forum. Also, a forum of this nature invites queries regarding troubles with the product in question.

I for one love my rig. All of the other MH's my wife and I looked at and researched were nice to a point, but I think the overall quality and innovation put into a Winnebago is to some degree higher than the other brands. Consequently, Winnebago owner's expectations are also higher.

I have to admit, my rig was NOT without faults, but they were minor and have been corrected. I'm still amazed that a unit as complex as my motorhome can function as it does with so few problems.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hi all,

My 04 35 u is my second winnebago MH and I did have a lot of problems in the first year with my old rig, and yes I am having a lot of little issues with my new coach. I am hoping, like last time, that these problems tend to diminish after the first year. If I remeber correctly, after year 1, I didn't really have much of anything go wrong. Perhaps the reason there are so many posts is because most of our member's couches are in that first year period?

biv
bivt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:44 AM   #13

How about just passing the 2 year mark an things are still happening and neighbors around me with Winnebagos are having problems also. Your theory just got shot in the rear.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-30-2005, 12:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have the 2001 35U and it has been great-there were a few minors issues at first but nothing since--we do only have 16000 miles on it so I hope it keeps going without any new problems. We are looking at the new 2005 38J since we have been pleased with the product. I think when you compare the price and quality you get, winnebago is a good deal. (and no I dont work for Winnebago!!)
Living the Dream------ Largo, Fl.
Newmar 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 05:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I think it is just a good fourm and a lot of people get involved. I've been reading this and other fourms and I find this to be a good one to read. The others don't seem to get people involve or posting. Maybe few read them. I have enjoyed reading this one and RV.net also. Very few posts on the others i've read. Some are harder to post on also.

Many thanks for all the good info and great reading Charwan