Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Well, we are at the factory again this year. We had to have our windshield replaced due to a crack. We also had a bedroom slide,(they fixed) key remotes, (reprogramed) number pad,(fixed and replaced two things onlocks). couch awning and patio awning coming loose (seems like a cord inside shrinks), awning over door, (they drilled hole replace motor), slow jacks, (four stronger springs), loose shade, (they tightened), leak
at water pump. They fixed all in 2 days.

However, I guess we were the lucky ones. Lots of people here are very unhappy with the service they have received. My parents had theirs in for the dash ac and a leak in shower. $1200 later, they still have problems with the dash ac and leak in shower.

One gentleman had a list of 90 things that need fixing.
Motorhome05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well, we are at the factory again this year. We had to have our windshield replaced due to a crack. We also had a bedroom slide,(they fixed) key remotes, (reprogramed) number pad,(fixed and replaced two things onlocks). couch awning and patio awning coming loose (seems like a cord inside shrinks), awning over door, (they drilled hole replace motor), slow jacks, (four stronger springs), loose shade, (they tightened), leak
at water pump. They fixed all in 2 days.

However, I guess we were the lucky ones. Lots of people here are very unhappy with the service they have received. My parents had theirs in for the dash ac and a leak in shower. $1200 later, they still have problems with the dash ac and leak in shower.

One gentleman had a list of 90 things that need fixing.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">--snip--
Well, we are at the factory again this year. We had to have our windshield replaced due to a crack. --snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What did they charge for the windshield replacement? When I cleaned the windshield a couple of days ago I noticed we finally have a chip in ours - not enough to warrant a windshied replacement but I'll bet before we get back to the lower 48, we will need a replacement.

The Jeep has a nice crack in its windshield now.

We had a pretty long list for the factory to fix last month while we were still under warranty but we had been accumulating most of them for months and for the most part they were not very significant.

We are on our SECOND set of jack springs - I wonder how long these will last.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

John,

Sorry to say, but you might as well wait awhile to get your windshield replace. You'll be lucky if you don't get stress cracks along the bottom where the glass rest on metal tabs. If you pull back the rubber seal at the bottom, you might even see rust forming on the tabs from the glass abrating the metal.

These tabs should have had a hard plastic material on them to isolate the glass from the metal. The tabs hold the glass in place while it's being set during production.

Once your warranty runs out, so does getting your windshield replace. Be sure to have a low Glass Deductable, you'll need it.

radarr
Old 06-22-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
PDB
Winnebago Camper

I just returned from the factory with a pretty long punch list and I have to say they treated me great!
My coach has been out of warranty for over two years, yet they fixed about $5,000 worth of stuff and wrote it off to "Good Will" and it didn't cost me a cent.
I couldn't be happier with their Customer Service.
Paul
PS. Plan on getting there on Saturday or Sunday morn latest so you can nail down a spot in the parking lot. Else you need to drive in from down the street every day.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We were in for factory service in the beginning of June and we couldn't be more pleased. They replaced all three of my slide seals as they had promised. We have been fighting water leaks for nearly three years. They also repaired my A/C duct, repaired some epoxy brackets that had broken loose, and replaced some slide guides that had broken. Our coach is just about three years old and we were not charged a dime!

In addition Carlene in parts helped us with some minor parts we needed, and we got to see Jill at the Lodge again. Met a lot of nice people and most were happy with the service they had received.

PS - oh yes, they chipped the paint when replacing the slide seals and they also repaired the paint.

With service like this we will continue to buy Winnebago products, and this is also why we will not take our coach to a dealer for service.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:14 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

The folks in Forest City are tops in my book...

I couldn't have been treated better with the issues I had with the coach, the biggest wasn't even a Winnebago issue per se, more than a vendor issue....The vendor bent over backwards to make sure everything on their end was straight.
Granted,there was an inspection issue,whereas my coach slipped through the cracks,but that's all been taken care of now.
The folks at Winnebago in Forest City have been involved with my dealer in Virginia every step of the way, with trying to figure out what the issue is with my turn signal cams. It was Forest City that came up with the "fix" for my sagging slide-topper awning, then they faxed the instructions to the dealer.

I've said this before....ALL coaches are going to have issues.....it's the nature of moving 30K pounds of "stuff" down the highway at 70 miles an hour,over those bouncy,bumpy roads that causes a lot of these issues.

Remember how "beat" you feel after a long days drive? Think how the coach feels!!

I am trading my coach for a longer coach in a price point that Winnebago doesn't offer....If Winnebago Industries offered a coach in that range and size I would not hesitate to consider it....WITH a proper PDI of course!!!

Here at iRV2 we are FORTUNATE to have the participation of Bryan Funke,a service lead with Winnebago....Many of you, myself included can tell stories of being contacted by Bryan and having him do research on an issue for you....What a TREMENDOUS opportunity!

Winnebago manufactures a bunch of coaches....given the number of complaints we see here, I'd say they're doing a great job.

I will truly miss the opportunity to have an advocate at the factory, but will always consider Bryan my friend, no matter what coach I own.

I encourage ANYONE considering a Winnebago/Itasca product,or even any recent purchaser of a Winnebago/Itasca product to make the trip to Forest City and not only see the way the products are made,but MEET the great folks making them...

Stop at the Lodge and say hey to Jill for me too!!

(Hey Pat.....see ya in Kerrville in October!!)
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

John,
We also had the slow jack problem. Springs were replaced but it didn"t help.
On our trip back from Winnebago last April, we stopped at HWH. They replaced all four jacks and the problem is gone.
SMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SMIES:
John,
We also had the slow jack problem. Springs were replaced but it didn"t help.
On our trip back from Winnebago last April, we stopped at HWH. They replaced all four jacks and the problem is gone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Our jacks seem to be behaving okay at the moment. They retract within the specs in weather above about 50-55 degrees. We haven't had 40s temps in a while so who knows? Been considering an HWH trip in the fall.

Like Bob says - we also were treated very well in FC and I believe Winnie has a well-oiled service process. The more I experience other dealers and service centers, the more I appreciate FC factory service

We have been very pleased with the coach but like everything it is not perfect and there is room for improvement. Just yesterday we broke another drawer latch That was the second one that broke and both drawers were ones that were frequently opened and closed. When the other drawers reach the number of operation cycles of the broken ones, they will go also.

That might prompt me to change them all out for more roebust hardware.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:

Just yesterday we broke another drawer latch That was the second one that broke and both drawers were ones that were frequently opened and closed. When the other drawers reach the number of operation cycles of the broken ones, they will go also.

That might prompt me to change them all out for more roebust hardware. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh oh....

Me smells another famous "Canfield mod" coming!!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Hey - wait a minute... you bought some spare latches in FC! You don't need them now, do you!?

Old 06-23-2006, 07:40 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

I DID buy three or four packs and have only used one package....When I am earn my release from the Magic Kingdom this weekend,I'll send them to you....You can buy me a glass of vino in Kerrville and we'll be square.

(The only one I used was the now famous pot and pan drawer...)

The drawer still comes open from time to time,even without the pots in it...there doesseem to be room for a JC mod!!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Well the windshield cost $820. We were very happy with the service we received. My parents finally got the ac fixed but were charged for it. The tech said he replaced the heater coil so he did not work on the ac, so he had to charge for that. Mom wasn't a happy camper as she had requested that they specially work on the ac.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
The drawer still comes open from time to time,even without the pots in it...there doesseem to be room for a JC mod!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Two drywall screws and that drawer is never coming open The weak point in the drawer latches seems to be a lack of plastic around the mounting holes. Operation of the latches causes stress that the small plastic cross-section can't handle. I bought a bag of #6 washers that might really help extend the life of the catches by spreading the load around. Thanks for the latches - lunch is on me at Kerrville

820$ for the windshield - I guess it could be worse! Fortunately in Florida we get windshields replaced for no deductable and no insurance penality (for filing a claim.) Something good out of our politicans.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

A word to the wise about windshield replacement. While in FC we met an Ultimate owner that had several winshields replaced and they would stress crack. The folks at FC found that the original dealer that replaced the windshield did not install it correctly and water got behind the winshield to the metal clips that hold the winshield in place. The clips rusted out and it cost the owner several thousand to have the metal replaces as it was all rusted away. FC told the owner had the winshield be replaced correctly this would never have happened. Guess this says we ought to be very careful who replaces a windshield, and the lowest price may not be the best deal!

The present owner is not the original owner so the dealer that caused the problem is off the hook.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote