Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Wind? Storms?...CHECK YOUR T.T. and RV's!

In Ontario, Canada as I type, we are experiencing near hurricane force winds, with gusts RIGHT NOW, as I type outside my house at over 65 MPH!

I have my 1706 FB sitting on my driveway, and observed from the west side of the trailer that the WHOLE T.T. is rocking and I watched a space of 1/8 to 1/2 inch of daylight as my trailer LIFTED off on the wind side, from its resting on the stabilizer legs. Then (thank gawd..) settled down once more between gust surges.

CHECK YOUR TRAILER or RV...if you can...or as soon as you can...I bet you that before this evening around the Great Lakes and Mid States, there will be reports of RV's, Trailers, and boats blown over or against the storage neighbors....

If you can...I'd check the status of your units right now...or very soon...

Again I am watching my trailer on the wind side of a 20 footer, actually being pushed off its support legs on the corners...and I pray that I will not suffer a crash over, or that any elements on my roof, including my T.P.O. membrane gets peeled off....

Good luck to all this day and evening!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I was once camping in a pop up along Lake Travis, Texas when a BIG thunderstorm came up in the early evening. I immediately backed my TV up to the trailer and tied the hitch to the bumper with a heavy rope. The trailer shook wildly for about 15 minutes and then settled down for the night.

The next morning, we watched a couple diving for their possessions across the inlet from us. The storm had blown their trailer into the lake and there was nothing visible. How they finally got it out is a mystery as we left before it was recovered, if at all.

Yes, watch out for heavy thunderstorms and tornados in any RV. If I were in your situation and my trailer was stored in my driveway, I would get four augers and screw them down in the dirt and tie the trailer down with ropes so it can't blow away. Too late now, but for the future....

David
Old 12-11-2021, 11:15 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

For some reason, a moderator...decided to edit my thread title to his needs. He deleted my date and time stamp of the post that was totally RELATIVE to the comments I made.

This post was about what was and is happening on December 11th, 2021 at 11:44 in the morning...and not in general Winds? Storms? That was not my O.P. contribution!

This was a warning to all forum members about what was happening TODAY, at the time I posted...not about Storms or Winds in general....

I don't understand this, and have never seen this behaviour on any other forum, unless of course, the title is socially offensive as my original title, (what I as the O.P. wanted to post) was not. If moderators on this forum, will dictate their 'take on a forum member's thread title, or post content...then, thank you, but I am out of here...Enjoyed posting to the forum, but I am not some 12 year old, that needs my thread titles, or comments, intercepted or edited to another's format after I press SAVE. I am upset, and offended.

Thank you...

Sun Seeker, now forum retired...
Old 12-11-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
I was once camping in a pop up along Lake Travis, Texas when a BIG thunderstorm came up in the early evening. I immediately backed my TV up to the trailer and tied the hitch to the bumper with a heavy rope. The trailer shook wildly for about 15 minutes and then settled down for the night.

The next morning, we watched a couple diving for their possessions across the inlet from us. The storm had blown their trailer into the lake and there was nothing visible. How they finally got it out is a mystery as we left before it was recovered, if at all.

Yes, watch out for heavy thunderstorms and tornados in any RV. If I were in your situation and my trailer was stored in my driveway, I would get four augers and screw them down in the dirt and tie the trailer down with ropes so it can't blow away. Too late now, but for the future....

David
Thank you David, but my Thread Title was about today...this morning, and a head's up for this day,..this event...so I can see that you would think I was just posting an OBVIOUS suggestion to check trailers and RV' during or after any storm. So, thank you as my last post on this forum for contributing...but as I can see from your post, you responded to yes, what one would do after ANY storm or Wind... Cheers, and have a great next camping season.

Sun_Seeker
Old 12-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #5
Site Team

I changed your title for the obvious reason that it applies to more than your locale and the date and time that you made the prime feature of your title.

The date, time and your immediate location may work for you, but not for every single other member of the community.

Whenever it is necessary we change titles of threads to make them more helpful, instructive, specific, detailed and even searchable for the future.

We are aware of a great many storms all across North America in the past 18 hours. These storms have begun on one side of the continent and moved across the effected locations over an extended 24-hour period. The winds and storms have done much damage and even caused much death in the US far south of where you posted your suggestion to check your RV and TTs. Thus, the date and time in your area is important to you no doubt, but I felt it was important for everyone - all day today - not just on "12/11 at 11:44am" (in your time zone anyway) as that is all that was changed from your original Title.

I'm sorry that this has offended you and that as a result you feel you must leave the community. Certainly no personal offense was meant.