Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2023, 01:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

wifi routers/hotspot

We are in SE Texas. Wifi in park is spotty. We had it in one site, moved to another and nada. I've been looking at hotspots or routers. I know nothing about them except for what sites say. Having a hard time because prices vary so widely and not sure I want a plan. One man in the park bought one made by Tesla. Cost is $600, plus monthly plan. This is really how I keep in touch with fam and the world while we winter away from WI What have you found that works well?
Sueh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:47 PM   #2
Site Team

A word of caution… there is a great deal to learn about this topic. Which I know is why you’ve posted.

There is one website that delves deep into all things mobile internet called: www.rvmobileinternet.com. You might want to do some reading there.

None of this stuff is extremely simple if you are not fairly tech savvy. But it’s something you can start simple as you learn.

For instance, Tesla doesn’t offer any such thing. Space X, another company owned by Tesla’s owner Elon Musk, has a satellite internet service called Starlink. The hardware costs $600 and then you have a monthly charge of $135 for RV service. A bit less for residential service. It may be a great choice but as you see it’s expensive and it doesn’t work everywhere.

There’s just LOTS to know and understand about mobile internet.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you have decent cell service where you are currently located you can hot spot your phone of even pick up a second phone. There are also modems that will accept a sim card meaning you would have a monthly cost. My cell is on a business plan with Verizon, while the wife is on a plan with Visible. Basically the same towers but I see 5G service while she is limited to LTE service. The limit is based on the $25.00 monthly plan she is on. We also use a We Boost cell phone booster. If you have two or three bars outside the RV the booster will normally serve up 3-4 bars inside near the booster. We have also been in places like Yosemite NP were you were lucky to get one bar that you could barely get a text out on.

Read up on the site that creativepart recommended, lot of choices
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have the Android ZTE Blade A7 Phone

I use Visible at $30 a month

I use the TL-WR902AC Travel Router that the phone is connected to.

With the Travel Router I have used my laptop for internet and satellite dish for streaming.

I have not had any problem with connectivity or streaming movies.
With Visible, as with most likely any other hotspot provider, if the circuits are busy they throttle back connectivity but so far I have not had a problem with streaming. If throttled back, buffering may take place.

The router is on Amazon for $40. Any hotspot can be used with it. Visible is just inexpensive and is unlimited data.

The phone I use is just a left over phone. If you have one of those hanging around unlocked you can give the information to visible and they will send you a sim card for it
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:50 PM   #5
Site Team

It would help if we had some idea of how you use the internet, how technically savvy you feel you are, what your budget is for purchasing equipment and for monthly data costs?

You mentioned WiFi routers and hotspots so maybe you are familiar with this kind of gear. Do you want basic internet for web surfing and email only or are you wanting to stream movies and TV?

Are you thinking of spending a few hundred dollars for gear and $50 a month for data plans or were you OK with the Starlink costs of $600 for equipment and $135 a month for service.

Lastly when you read the previous responses are you familiar with the jargon in those posts??

The more you help us the more we can help you.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It [...] Do you want basic internet for web surfing and email only or are you wanting to stream movies and TV?
[...]
Steve, what I posted does all that and not expensive (perspectively.)
Old 01-28-2023, 01:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Wifi Hotspot

Thanks for all your suggestions. Could my phone info be compromised if I use it as a hotspot?

I've been retired for 15 years. I used to be he first call for people with computer issues. Hot Spots didn't exist then as far as I know. I understand why hi I used to get deer in the headlights looks when I asked questions.about their problems.

I think I'm going to try phone as hot spot first. I'm with Consumer Cellular and can get unlimited dada for $30 more per month than I'm paying now.

I will mainly be browsing internet, checking email and playing AARP games, paying bills that are not set up on auto pay.. I'm pretty disabled with neck and back issues so games are a great diversion. My husband would like to watch movies on Netflix, etc. but not crucial. At
Old 01-28-2023, 03:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueh View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions. Could my phone info be compromised if I use it as a hotspot?

I've been retired for 15 years. I used to be he first call for people with computer issues. Hot Spots didn't exist then as far as I know. I understand why hi I used to get deer in the headlights looks when I asked questions.about their problems.

I think I'm going to try phone as hot spot first. I'm with Consumer Cellular and can get unlimited dada for $30 more per month than I'm paying now.

I will mainly be browsing internet, checking email and playing AARP games, paying bills that are not set up on auto pay.. I'm pretty disabled with neck and back issues so games are a great diversion. My husband would like to watch movies on Netflix, etc. but not crucial. At
1st I know nothing of Consumer Cellular. I can only state that you ask them about what I would do below if I were you. They may... so use as guideline FWIW.

You suggest you may be elderly and if so there are internet discounts for age, just ask to see if any applies to you.

But the simplest way to do what you want, is to get Mobile Internet with Verizon, T Mobile or AT&T. You will have your phone line and unlimited data on your mobile internet device.

I have 5 T mobile phones but I don't fool with hotspots on the phone any more. I have T Mobile Home Internet that runs $50/month. I use at home and on the road. Depending on when you sign up, the rate may only be $35. Verizon is $25.

All of the above is cheaper if you qualify for discounts.

So you will have a phone for phone and mobile internet device for internet, May cost $75/month for both. But life is easy and no techie stuff to fool with every time you need internet.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Last summer we traveled from Florida to Vancouver British Columbia. We added the hotspot feature to our two Cricket wireless phones for $10 extra per month. Each phone was able to hotspot 15 GB of data per month. We were able to watch netflix videos with no problems. We never used up the monthly allowance. It did not work while we were in Canada but we had reliable wifi from where we were staying.
efenclau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by efenclau View Post
Last summer we traveled from Florida to Vancouver British Columbia. We added the hotspot feature to our two Cricket wireless phones for $10 extra per month. Each phone was able to hotspot 15 GB of data per month. We were able to watch netflix videos with no problems. We never used up the monthly allowance. It did not work while we were in Canada but we had reliable wifi from where we were staying.
We use to do that. T Mobile says we have unlimited hotspot but it drops to slow speeds at 2GB. I can't stream 1 game with 2GB. I got tired of switching phones so I just mobile the T Mobile Internet, $35/mo so my problem got solved
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-28-2023, 03:23 PM   #11
Site Team

"unlimited" data on cell phones doesn't mean unlimited usable data. Here's why. To be usable you need a minimum of 1 to 2 mbps data speeds. If you watch any tv or video you need no less than 3-5 mbps of data speeds. At these rates you can use up gigs of data in a month. The majority of phone plans sold as unlimited don't limit the amount of data you can use in a month - instead they limit the amount of higher speed data available in one month. After you use up all the high speed data you still get internet, but at such a slow speed that it is mostly unusable.

See? Unlimited data. But very limited fast usable data. Gotcha.

Unlimited Consumer Cellular is exactly this setup. So, is most ATT and Verizon. And, ATT will charge you $10 extra per month per line to use your phone as a hot spot. Even if you just try it out once.

T-Mobile is the most generous for high speed data per billing month. ATT and Verizon's unlimited varies but tends to be 10 to 25 gbs. After that you are throttled to dial-up speeds below 1mbps.

So, it's important to read the fine print in any unlimited data plan and ask what the high speed data limit is on their "unlimited" plan.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
"unlimited" data on cell phones doesn't mean unlimited usable data. Here's why. To be usable you need a minimum of 1 to 2 mbps data speeds. If you watch any tv or video you need no less than 3-5 mbps of data speeds. At these rates you can use up gigs of data in a month. The majority of phone plans sold as unlimited don't limit the amount of data you can use in a month - instead they limit the amount of higher speed data available in one month. After you use up all the high speed data you still get internet, but at such a slow speed that it is mostly unusable.

See? Unlimited data. But very limited fast usable data. Gotcha.

Unlimited Consumer Cellular is exactly this setup. So, is most ATT and Verizon. And, ATT will charge you $10 extra per month per line to use your phone as a hot spot. Even if you just try it out once.

T-Mobile is the most generous for high speed data per billing month. ATT and Verizon's unlimited varies but tends to be 10 to 25 gbs. After that you are throttled to dial-up speeds below 1mbps.

So, it's important to read the fine print in any unlimited data plan and ask what the high speed data limit is on their "unlimited" plan.
Correct. If you have T Mobile Magenta for phone you are about as good as it get for phone. I don't have Magenta, but we don't sniff or need 2GB of high speed on our phones in a month. We don't even try to use Hotspot with the phones anymore as it got to be a PITA over town. If anyone needs Internet to stream, just get the best plan you can for a dedicated mobile device. Mine is 5G and true unlimited data at true high speed but I bet they still have some fine print to step you down and it may not be just over 100gb or so. I believe if you are in a are where there is true congestions, your mobile device may step down. I have never encountered but I have not read all of the fine print I do know we watch TV streaming You Tube TV all day 15 - 20 times a month and never have had an issue. Laptops and even phones use the Mobile device via Wifi , it is part of why we don't sniff the 2GB on phones anymore.

Note: If money is not a concern, one could get the Starlink, especially if they plan to travel to a lot of remote areas where Verizon, T Mobile & AT&T may not be.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
1st I know nothing of Consumer Cellular. I can only state that you ask them about what I would do below if I were you. They may... so use as guideline FWIW.

You suggest you may be elderly and if so there are internet discounts for age, just ask to see if any applies to you.

But the simplest way to do what you want, is to get Mobile Internet with Verizon, T Mobile or AT&T. You will have your phone line and unlimited data on your mobile internet device.

I have 5 T mobile phones but I don't fool with hotspots on the phone any more. I have T Mobile Home Internet that runs $50/month. I use at home and on the road. Depending on when you sign up, the rate may only be $35. Verizon is $25.

All of the above is cheaper if you qualify for discounts.

So you will have a phone for phone and mobile internet device for internet, May cost $75/month for both. But life is easy and no techie stuff to fool with every time you need internet.
I would be interested in how you use the T-Mobile Home internet on the road? Ihave that for my home internet and have not tried to use it on the road, Yet!
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierce617 View Post
I would be interested in how you use the T-Mobile Home internet on the road? Ihave that for my home internet and have not tried to use it on the road, Yet!
With a wink wink

Technically, I have my T Mobile Home Internet at my Home Address. I just store and power it inside the RV which is parked on RV Port at our House. I still have my Spectrum Fiber Home Internet; so I have two Internet services that are always on at home and visible from the house. We use both and I am sure T mobile sees our black box at home just like yours. A backup should one go down

Now if I go somewhere in the RV. Do I bother to unplug it and take out of the RV and put in the house? No. Going on two years and it works great on the road. I have yet to go someplace without Service.

I read on some post where someone said T Mobile was really bad in Houston area especially around Huntsville. So on one trip we streamed Youtube TV before leaving Dallas and drove to Galveston about 5 hours and never lost the signal.

I think T Mobile will allow you to have two boxes now? When I first got it only one per address was allowed. I have to have internet 24/7 at home. As much as I like T Mobile Home Internet, I like my Spectrum Fiber at home better. I have my own router and I do a lot of stuff that I can't do yet with the T Mobile Black box.

FWIW, I discreetly asked T Mobile Tech Support about what I was doing and they said, they know if the box is outside of it's assigned address, but unless you have it there long term (i.e. 2 months or so) they don't say anything. In my case I am never gone more than a week / two at the max.

We never have to type in Wifi codes EVER for TVs, laptops or phones while on the road. It just connects to the Sunstar Patio black box.

Yes... I gladly don't mind paying for the months we may not travel. I viewed as a $600/year expense, although I have new promotion that will reduce my cost to $420/year. I pay $480/year for Spectrum (500mps). Two years ago, I was paying $960/year just for Spectrum.

So now... for $900/year I have both

If you ask me the three biggest bangs for the buck for us in order

1. AGS EC-30
2. AGM Batteries (w/Indoor Fridge now wired to Inverter circuit)
3. T Mobile Home Internet (even at $50/month)
Old 01-28-2023, 09:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Sueh, in regards to your question on compromise, well, anything can be compromised if someone wants to spend the time trying to do it. There-in lies the question. The time is typically related to the password so use a strong 10+ character password of random letters, numbers, and special characters and you will be just as safe as any of us doing the same.

I have been using the internet with varying devices since the early 80's when Ma Bell had a modem at 300bps (that is bauds per second) and I have never (knock on wood) been compromised.

If you want to think about compromise, do a google search on your name.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I winter in AZ and purchased a router to use in the park and was told I could use at any campground that had wifi unfortunately I wasn't told I needed a computer degree to do it
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:35 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
I winter in AZ and purchased a router to use in the park and was told I could use at any campground that had wifi unfortunately I wasn't told I needed a computer degree to do it
I spent a lot of money chasing this, using the WifI CampPro v2 and Netgear extenders. All worked but but all were worthless in my opinion.

Chances are very great that when all is set up your bandwidth speed will be so slow it is not worth the effort. Maybe if all you do is check email.

Since you winter there and they have wifi; that should be all you need, if that don't cut it for you, a router is not going to help much, the extender in theory could, but they are a PITA to setup every time you move.

We are constantly moving and I got tired of trying to find wifi hotspots that were public. It cut down the fun.

I have my own Mobile Internet where I good and it has made all the difference. I don't even need the very good free WiFi at Wal Mart anymore

If you want good reliable internet in RV 24/7 at 99% of where you may go $600/year is cheap. If you the type to boondock way out in the middle of no where or on the highest mountain, get Starlink at $135/mo. or just accept no internet for that trip.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:04 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

https://www.t-mobile.com/cfd/internet

If you are in a 5G area T-Mobile home internet works great. It will work with LTE also but slower. I have been using this for about 5 months and I am very pleased. $50 a month if you set up auto pay.
I just ran a speed test: Download 78.91Mbps, Upload 25.91Mbps, Ping 61ms
I have 3 bars of 5G in Cleveland, TN
T-Mobile bought out Sprint and has expanded its 5G service with this acquisition.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:04 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

We have the new Verizon Home Internet, used my son's address to qualify. Seems truly unlimited. T mobile has something similar now.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Thanks!

FINALLY got online at our RV site. Using my phone as a hotspot. I had recently upgraded account at Consumer Cellular for unlimited data. No extra charge for computer usage. Their plans are flexible, so when I don't need it anymore, I can go back to smaller data usage. I'm a happy camper!

Thanks for jumping in with your suggestions. I hate feeling dumb.