Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Why do I have a generator?

We have a 2014 Winnebago View Profile G with a Cummins Oran RV QG 3600 LP generator. Once a month we run it for 30 minutes because we are told to do that to remove moisture. But in the nearly 5 years of owning and using the RV we've never used the generator.

I've seen comments that we would need it if boondocking to run the air conditioning. We usually hook up to electric but decided to unhook and see if air conditioner worked when generator was on. It didn't.

So, why do I have a generator? Should I try to sell it and use the space for storage and a lighter load?
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
your genny SHOULD be able to run your ROOFTOP (not dashboard) air conditioner(s). there are 1 or 2 circuit breakers on the genny. make sure they have not tripped.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We use our generator quite a bit on the road, to run the house AC when the outside temperatures are too hot for the dash AC to keep up. Also, to run appliances and the microwave etc when pulled over for lunch.

If we are dry camped and need to charge the batteries and it's cold out, I also run an electric space heater during that time.

Are you full time, permanently parked?
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioSam View Post
We have a 2014 Winnebago View Profile G with a Cummins Oran RV QG 3600 LP generator. ... We usually hook up to electric but decided to unhook and see if air conditioner worked when generator was on. It didn't.

As you can see in Chapter 6 of the 2014 View Profile Operator Manual you need to manually plug the RV power cord into the generator receptacle in your power compartment in order to make use of the generator. I suspect that you didn't do this and that's why the A/C didn't work.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

IMO, I would keep the generator for several reasons. We’ve had 5 towable RVs over a span of 14 years. We had a portable gennie and used it only one time while boondocking. We bought a motorhome in 2017 with a gennie and thought the same thing as you. However, we realized that we can go to Yosemite and Quartzsite and we did. We also have boodocked elsewhere. But, it has been very useful here in the northern part of California as we have had several unexpected power shutdowns to prevent fires. We had it here at the house for backup power, water, cooking, etc. Additionally, we used it to evacuate during a fire in 2017 and had it ready to evacuate during the Kincade Fire here just two weeks ago. Lastly, it’s important to keep it for resale value.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
As you can see in Chapter 6 of the 2014 View Profile Operator Manual you need to manually plug the RV power cord into the generator receptacle in your power compartment in order to make use of the generator. I suspect that you didn't do this and that's why the A/C didn't work.
I'm feeling two things. 1. Stupid and 2. Thankful for strangers giving me good advice. Yes, I did not have the plug plugged in. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to everyone for replying and your comments. We have it working properly and recognize the important of boards like this that let strangers help strangers. What a wonderful world we live in.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for replying and your comments. We have it working properly and recognize the important of boards like this that let strangers help strangers. What a wonderful world we live in.
Now you have a truly self-contained RV in which you have all the comforts of home whether camping in a full hookup campground or camping out in the middle of nowhere with or without the sun.

Enjoy your RV and it's generator!!
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I’m glad you got it figured out. After I picked mine up from service, I drove for eight hours with the generator running. When I pulled in for the night, I found that the tech had unplugged the cable :(

I’d keep the generator if for nothing else than improving resale value.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We also park in RV Parks with full hook ups but have been in a park when they loose power cooking for a group in an electric smoker and used the generator so dinner could be served in time. The park was out of power for 6 hours and without the generator dinner would never have happened. RV parks do loose power sometimes so always good for a backup.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Now that you know to plug in the generator remember that it is not just running it for 30 minutes each month. You should run it at least at half rated load. For example turn on the Air or heat pump - let it run under load for the 30 minutes. That is generator exercise.

We got the diesel generator because we use the thing a lot. The hours on it are usually under load. BTW, I really like the manual "transfer switch" where you move the plug. No noise and no problems.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

If the temperature is above 86/87 degrees outside, we'll run the generator and AC to keep (the 4 legged child with his fur coat on) cool while traveling down the road. Works much better then the dash AC. 1/2 gallon of gas per hour is nothing in the big scheme of things.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #13
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I wouldn't beat myself up over not knowing about your generator hookup. It's clearly the fault of your dealer for not ensuring that you were good-to-go when you left the lot.

I had a similar situation the day I left the dealer, Saturday afternoon. Stopped for gas and wanted to cool down the coach a bit. AC didn't work. Power plug was plugged in, generator was running. I was in a panic as the dealer was now gone for the weekend and I was headed home with about 900 miles to go. I broke out the manuals and discovered (after about a half hour) one of the techs at the dealership must have inadvertently shut off the circuit breaker on the generator.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

One campground we stayed at blew a transformer on a pole
It was in the 90’s and took nearly 10 hours to replace.
Thankful for our Onan. Cant believe some of the dirty looks I was getting!
Most had trailers around me with no generators.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

SocioSam,

One fact nobody mentioned is that you would really devalue your RV when it comes time to trade or sell. You probably loose more than would get selling your generator.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We travel with our little dog. If we stop somewhere on the way to our next camping destination, we use the generator to keep her comfortable (climate-wise). Also as others have said, we use the microwave to warm lunch when making a stop. We never boondock, but we're happy we have a generator for a number of other reasons. Glad you got yours working properly. Enjoy!
aspengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I'm feeling two things. 1. Stupid and 2. Thankful for strangers giving me good advice. Yes, I did not have the plug plugged in. Thanks.
Don't fret about it. You are not.alone. I made the same mistake.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLee View Post
Don't fret about it. You are not.alone. I made the same mistake.
Speaking of goof-ups, I just noticed that my signature is long out of date. It is now corrected.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

In Fla, or other hot states..that Gen is a must have. Matter of fact, it's tough to sell a motorhome without a Gen.

PS..a motorhome , with a generator, is worth gold, after a hurricane hits, or a sporting event in 80 or 90 degree heat, or fishing trips when the rain runs you inside, or worse, when the bugs are after you.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
We have a 2014 Winnebago View Profile G with a Cummins Oran RV QG 3600 LP generator. Once a month we run it for 30 minutes because we are told to do that to remove moisture. But in the nearly 5 years of owning and using the RV we've never used the generator.

I've seen comments that we would need it if boondocking to run the air conditioning. We usually hook up to electric but decided to unhook and see if air conditioner worked when generator was on. It didn't.

So, why do I have a generator? Should I try to sell it and use the space for storage and a lighter load?
I don't know if this is relevant or not, but when I bought my 2014 Era used, the generator would stall if I tried to run the roof AC. The roof AC could only run when I was hooked up to shore power. When I purchased it, the house batteries had not been cared for, and were beyond reconditioning. After I installed new house batteries, the generator could power the roof AC with no problem after warming up. It was a pleasant surprise, and I can't think of anything else to attribute.
2014ERA170X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator