Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Living in Florida you also benefit more than others by having a self contained Hurricane Evacuation vehicle capable of providing its own power with a functional generator built into it.

As others have mentioned you will loose big time on resale value by removing the generator and basically crippling the RV.

Great that you've got it figured out and working as it should at no additional cost.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:02 AM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Like you I never much needed the generator on my RV. Just really never used it and I live in the south where it gets hot however when driving, the cab A/C has always been sufficient and I never felt the need to also run the coach generator so we're could start the roof A/C. That being said I did find a great use for the generator... We have lost power at our residence several times during real bad storms. One time the power was off at the house for five hours. I ran a long extension cord off of the generator and plugged in into my refrigerator in my house, then started up the generator. At least I didn't need to worry about losing any food in my house and I think it made the RV generator finally useful, if somewhat limited!

Mark
mCooperstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

You may want to read up on the operation of your genny, it needs to run a few minutes before and after a load or you’ll burn it out.
I have a diesel Onan and I run it about every 4 to 5 months if I’m sitting.

My coach was used and it sat in storage for years in Texas without the genny being run, and it did fire right up when I bought the coach.

I think in areas with a high salt content in the air is when you want to run / exercise them more.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

The RV Generator is a great feature, I love mine.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

To me, the short answer is, you don't. If you're always going to be on the grid, you'll probably never need it. As to removing and selling it, I would only consider that if I was 100% sure that I was going to keep the coach until the wheels fall off. Otherwise, you've created a resale problem that would be pretty expensive to overcome.
John Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I would not say that we run our generator "a lot", but on our last several trips, we stayed in parking lots, such as Cracker Barrel, Sam's cub etc. We ran the generator all of the time we were there with the RV. We also travel towing a 25 foot boat behind a truck. The boat has a Honda EU2200I generator, which we run in the same fashion, to keep air conditioning running, as well as refrigerator and freezer chests cool.

Be sure that you run that generator under load. We prefer diesel generator in the RV, because it uses fuel from the primary tank, and if necessary we could carry extra fuel in metal "jerry cans". LP is a little harder to fuel up with, and we prefer to use it for heating water or the inside of the RV when very cold, as well as the refrigerator.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

A time I use the generator, partly because it needs the exercise anyway is a couple of miles before getting to a campground (in hot weather) I start the genny and turn on the coach A/C. I can start it from a switch on the dash. Then while I am checking in and getting parked, the unit is starting to cool down and then when fully set up I switch to CG power.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Well... for us (in a Forza 34T) a good question...

We do not often use it, even we are often boondocking. You could ask me the same question with the ac. We don't like it. Open the windows, window-awnings etc. are the most healtiest way to keep it cool inside.

But there are some exceptions... like very hot and humid nights or the possibility to be able to wash some clothes during a long transit... and so, we have our generator, which we let run minimum once a month for 15-30 minutes. You should also do it, because a machine is made to run. If it cannot run, it will brake down.
cj_calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

We live just a few miles up the road from you.

Don't be without a generator. We have used ours twice when power has gone out due to hurricanes. Have connected our house freezer and fridge also to keep food good.

When we travel, we run it a lot also.

Tags
generator