Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I see in all the 2008 and 2009 sales brochures that the Cat engine is no longer offered, only Cummins. I love the Cat engine in my Meridian, that is one of the reasons I bought it. Does anybody know why Winnebago no longer offers Cat? I suspect it is cost.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I see in all the 2008 and 2009 sales brochures that the Cat engine is no longer offered, only Cummins. I love the Cat engine in my Meridian, that is one of the reasons I bought it. Does anybody know why Winnebago no longer offers Cat? I suspect it is cost.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

I don't know the exact reason, but I'm sure $$$$$ was involved.

However, it's academic as Cat has announced they will no longer be in the On-Highway engine business starting in or after 2010.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago is not the one that dropped Cat if you have a Freightliner chassis. I have been to the Freightliner factory tour, and they told us on the tour Cat was getting out of the MH business

Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It may be influenced by Caterpillar's decision to exit the On Highway truck engine market at 2010. One of the reasons they have cited is an unwillingness to deal with the expense of complying with the 2010 emissions step and Heavy Duty On Board Diagnostics (OBD), also commencing in 2010. Reference http://www.dieselnet.com/news/2008/06cat.php
Old 12-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Caterpillar to Exit Class 8 Engine Market After 2010 - Signs Agreement with Navistar to Build Heavy-Duty Truck

Caterpillar Inc., which said Thursday (June 2008) it has signed an agreement to develop a heavy-duty truck with Navistar International Corp., said it would not develop and sell engines that meet 2010 emissions standards to other truck original equipment manufacturers. MORE
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Cat also did not have their 2008 engines ready for market by the deadline which made Cummins the only engine available. Was told this at Camp Freightliner last March.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

CAT lost their two largest markets for over the highway engines and Freightliner was one of them. Those two markets made production of those engines viable. Without them they could not afford to develop and produce the 2010 engine hence their decision to join with Navistar. Freightliner may say it was CAT's decision but I doubt that since Freightliner is owned by Daimler and they are currently producing Sprinter vans and FREDs with MB engines.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Just a minor update to the Cat market exit.

11/26/2008

Caterpillar is getting out of the heavy-duty diesel engine business earlier than planned.

According to a letter from Cat to its dealers, the North American economy and “significant reductions in OEM order rates” have forced the company to “drastically” change the 2009 outlook.

“Market conditions over the past several months,” the letter states, “have seen a tremendous shift. Effective immediately Caterpillar will not offer heavy-duty on-highway engine incentives, but will continue to provide heavy-duty engines in 2009 while supplies last.”

OEMs will be given the responsibility for pushing engines in their trucks, but Cat will continue to deliver field support to dealers and customers.

This change affects all heavy-duty and medium-duty on-highway engines for domestic and export use.

In a press conference earlier this year, Cat group president Douglas R. Oberhelman promised that even though the company won’t be building engines after 2009, they will continue to service the existing engines.

"Caterpillar and our dealers will continue to provide product support and service beyond 2010 for all Caterpillar on-highway engines regardless of truck brand," stated Oberhelman.

“Nothing changes through 2009,” added George Taylor, director of Cat’s global on-highway business. “The Caterpillar dealer network will continue to service the 1.6 million Cat highway engines out there for the life of these engines.”

The deadlines for ordering 2009 cat engines will fall in December 2008 and January 2009, depending on which Cat powerplant you want. Contact your dealer for the specific dates.