Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

why are all new M/H dark or black

Don't the manufactors know that most M/Hs are used in hot weather and the air condition is barely able to keep up and the dark colors do not help!
I still think the people that design these things never spend any time in them. I was lookin to trade for a winne adventure 35P and could not find one from Colorado to Florida that I would buy because of the colors. Even silver gets to hot to touch in Florida.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Good point, Ron55!

It must be that people like the "Look".

Fashion trumps Function every time when it comes to paint jobs!

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Ron55 - You are not kidding. Our coach is all white on top and several colors on the sides. Some friends of ours are looking to buy a used DP and almost all the newer ones are dark colors. That is a terrible choice in general as normally motor homes are used where it is sunny. Dark colors and sunny are not good. Our motor home has three air conditioners and when it is 100 we need all three. A dark coach would need five.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Our last coach was a dark color ,it never did keep cool in the summer in Tallahassee . It had 2 ac's ,it was a 2007 Holiday Rambler Neptune ,not the best insulated beast on the road I might say. The new Winnie Journey has 3 roof ac's and a heck of a lot more insulation . We had no problem keeping it cool this summer.It also has solar shades that when pulled down make a big difference.

Wayne

http://
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ours is black and silver but I prefere to camp in fall or spring. Much easier to heat than cool and less crowded. Besides I'm running a campground in the summer months.

Mark
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Also the aluminum window frames are BLACK, and they transfer a lot of heat though the wall. And in the winter, they get really cold. Very poor design as thermal properties go.

Bill
Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Roger that Sir,
As stated, the MFGs seem to be always looking for something "new" to sell and creating or using non-functional or, I should say, non-user friendly colors are the thought for the day. But, I'll take it a step farther. We toured some new, 2010, 2011 coaches recently and the colors on the inside almost got both my wife and I SICK! I mean, mustard colored leather, gaudy patterns on the upholstery with awful colors etc. What kind of blind, dyslexic persons are designing these things?

I guess some people like them 'cause they're out on the road and being seen so, to each his own.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Pez
Winnebago Watcher

Our Monaco is a dark and light color on the sides. More dark than lighter color.
No problem with the 2 ac's keeping it cool.
We love the floor plan so the outside color was not to much of a concern at the time of purchase.
Tallyrver, That is a beautiful color you have on the coach. Can you post a full body picture?

Thanks
Pez
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Vote with your pocket book and don't buy one. That will teach them. Find an old white Winnebago and just keep refurbishing it.

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
Don't the manufactors know that most M/Hs are used in hot weather and the air condition is barely able to keep up and the dark colors do not help!
I still think the people that design these things never spend any time in them. I was lookin to trade for a winne adventure 35P and could not find one from Colorado to Florida that I would buy because of the colors. Even silver gets to hot to touch in Florida.
Not to mention how much harder it is to keep a dark vehicle clean! It shows the dirt so easily, it will always look dirty! And swirl marks will be abundant too!!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have had white, dark, and now silver and blue. I does seem the lighter colors are much easier to cool in the hot Texas summers and look cleaner longer since the dust is not as noticeable.

On a side note, why do all coaches have those wild swirls and graphics on the side. Most of the users are of an age that, like me, would prefer a nice single or two-tone paint job and leave all the creative artistry to another generation. I have pondered this second point for some time and have not come up with a viable reason.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I think the old Alfa See Ya's were pretty.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55
I think the dark colors look great. The roofs are still bright white so I'm not so sure the sidewall color makes that much of a difference in cooling. At any rate, our basement air has no trouble keeping the interior cool of our 2010 Itasca 34Y.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

i prefer the swoops and swirls, to a point. two accent colors on white, and not too busy. DW agrees. but, for the price, we will make do with our slightly ugly stripes and splashes.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #15

The other problem with dark colors is that the heat absorption play havoc on the fiberglass.. Why do you think you dont see dark fiberglass or carbon fiber planes?

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I love science...
There's so much that can be so simply explained!

Francesca

P.S.
Of course, "Why New Rigs Are Dark Colors" isn't one of those mysteries...that one belongs to
The Marketeers!

F.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

No doubt about it gang, The dark colors on the outside of any MH are always going to be harder to cool. Be the dark on the sides or on the roof, dark is bad news. Never-ever buy anything but a white car or a white MH.

Oh, by the way, I would not be 40 years old again for anything.

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

'cause anything colored brown is old!
tworootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworootless View Post
'cause anything colored brown is old!
And biege. Gawd I hate biege. One of the paramters when shopping for the new coach is "if I see another earth tone I'm just gonna puke."

The Knight is black and silver, suites me fine.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Why aren't there any blue or pink motorhomes?

Especially pink.
Pink is the "calming color".
They paint the walls of loony bins pink for that reason!

Seems like a calming effect would be a good thing when out on the Battlegrounds we like to call
"Our Interstate Highway System".

Francesca