Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Who's the most recent to purchase a new Medallion Info Center?

Ladies and Gents,
Some of you may have followed my latest thread on "Could this be an MMDC Problem". Well, during that long, helpless event, one of the worst issues with that situation was the fact that I could not read the info center at important times. I can't read it anyway but, I really needed it while this incident was happening. So, this prompts me to seriously think about procuring the new Medallion Information Center.

To any of you reading this, who of you, if not you than someone you know, is the most recent to purchase a revised, new version of the info center? Based on only one page on line, it surely looks like it's much brighter, and easier to read in all kinds of light and angles. I've got the old phone number that I got off line and will call it tomorrow (5/9/13) to see what I can find out. As I understand it, the original cost of the improved version was around $75.00 but, that was some time ago and, things most certainly have changed and I think, if it's still available, it's somewhere in the area of $300.00 now.

But, like all things, the price of modernization goes up while the salaries go down.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The most recent info I've seen is from Sept 2012 in this thread over on the Winnebago forum on rvforum.net (note you need to join [free] to see pictures): Dash Computer Information Screen? The cost was $251.34 plus shipping.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Chris,
Thanks for the tip. I have contacted a company that had a phone number on an old thread from "Jane and Jons.org". The number was good and, the company still has some in stock. The price is $250.00. I'm assuming that, that did not include shipping. I will get back with them soon. While I do not look at that info screen often, I sure as heck want to be able to read it when, my icon on the annunciator panel for "Check info screen" pops up. And that's without getting down on my knees to read it.

It's a bit on the expensive side for a ONCE IN A WHILE READ SCREEN but, the pertinent info displayed, can be critical. So, I might have to bight the bullit and get one in the mail. Thanks again.
Scott
Old 05-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Scott, Here is a link to Jane and John's Medallion Display replacement.

The improved Freightliner information center display by Medallion Instrumentation

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Scott, not sure what all that gizmo displays but it looks like you can get all that plus more with the Scangauge D. I had one on the Journey and it was less than $150. I think Camping World has them on sale now. It plugs directly into your diagnostic port on the firewall under the dash.

Might want to check it out.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Scott, I am interested in one also. I would like to know more about the Scangage also. I would like to have something to replace the existing screen though.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Scott, Here is a link to Jane and John's Medallion Display replacement.

The improved Freightliner information center display by Medallion Instrumentation

Sammie
Sammie,
Thanks Sir, that's where I got the phone number from to find out if they were still available. If the screen on the unit in there little write up is representative of how one is SUPPOSED TO LOOK, then it's a massive improvement over the original one. By the way, Sophie's snoring right now. She got tired of trying to keep tabs on both of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Scott, not sure what all that gizmo displays but it looks like you can get all that plus more with the Scangauge D. I had one on the Journey and it was less than $150. I think Camping World has them on sale now. It plugs directly into your diagnostic port on the firewall under the dash.

Might want to check it out.
smlranger,
While I've only delved into it partially here and there, there is a fair amount of info provided on it, if and when needed. There's several screens with maintenance intervals, mileage, volts, oil and air pressures, Threshold limits on oil and coolant temp and much more. I've not read too much about the ScanD but, will certainly look into it. Thank you Sir for the info and idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Scott, I am interested in one also. I would like to know more about the Scangage also. I would like to have something to replace the existing screen though.
Ramzfan,
Well Sir, it's one of those things that keeps bugging me that it's "bad" unit from the factory and, it can be replaced with a much better one but, at what cost? Well, the cost is around $250.00 + whatever shipping there is. Now, it's a matter of importance to the end user here. If it were still around $70-75.00, I'd already have ordered one. But, with that price and, the infrequency of use, I'm hesitating some. But, as I stated in my original post, it's darned important if and when pertinent info IS DISPLAYED on it.

When that "J1939 Data Link" went down, which lead to the immediate inoperation of my speedo, tach, volt meter, oil pressure, temp gauge, boost pressure gauge, EXHAUST BRAKE, and cruise control on our recent trip and, the ABS light and CHECK INFO SCREEN came on ALL AT THE SAME TIME, I was at the time, cruising at around 60 mph and, the wife yelled out, What happened? because she felt the immediate loss of speed due to the shut down of the cruise control. I looked down and saw that icon of "Check info screen" and, believe me, in a semi panic situation like that, I sure would have liked to be able to READ THAT SCREEN from a seated position!!!!

But the wife had to get out of her seat and get down low enough to look at that screen from dead on straight in front of it in order to read it.

Anyway, even though that situation and problem has been remedied, I don't want to have to stand on my head to read that screen. The new one is supposed to be seriously better to read from a much wider angel and, in broad day light too. So, while the cost is certainly up there, to me, especially after what we experienced in it's immediate use in a crisis type situation, I'm leaning towards the purchase of the improved unit.

I just took a break from this thread and cruised on over to a link that had a good explanation of the "Scan Gauge D" on it. Well, without a doubt, it appears that the Scan Gauge D is almost identical in operation to the Medallion Info Center. It can and does display a multitude of information gauges, settings and more. It's small and if mounted correctly, it would be easy to read and goof with while driving and not take your eyes off the road.

The problem with even installing a new Medallion Info Center unit is that the unit is down low and, trying to scroll the screen for needed info while driving can be a tad bit dangerous. So, we'll see.
Scott
Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Scott, I had my Scan Gauge D mounted with a piece of velcro on the top edge of the dash. It was easy to monitor. I just don't think you can go wrong with it for the money. Installation is as easy as routing the wire to the diagnostic port and plugging it in. The most difficult part is locating the gray diagnostic port in the mass of wires under the dash.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Sammie,
The problem with even installing a new Medallion Info Center unit is that the unit is down low and, trying to scroll the screen for needed info while driving can be a tad bit dangerous. So, we'll see.
Scott
Just fyi, with the new display the Info Center is very easy to read from the driver's seat and I haven't had any problems interacting with it while driving.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Just fyi, with the new display the Info Center is very easy to read from the driver's seat and I haven't had any problems interacting with it while driving.
Chris,
Thanks for sharing your "views" so to speak. I don't plan continuing scrolling through all the screens on while driving, I just meant that, if I was interested in something that I knew would be displayed on it, I'd hit a couple of buttons on it to find what I needed. I really don't feel I'd have any issues between scrolling or, finding what I needed, and driving. But, you'd have to admit, having that same info right on the top edge of the dash would be a bit more ergonomically easy.

But, as much as I like to save a buck as much as anyone and pay $120.00 less for the Scan Gauge D, than buy the new version of the Medallion Info Center at $250.00 and, they both display almost identical info, I do like the fact that the Medallion already exists "IN the dash" and, already has a plug setup for it. Decisions, decisions
Scott
Old 05-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I was fortunate to get it for $75 when it first came out, so it was a much easier decision.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Scott - I'm probably too late with this, but here's my 2 cents... Like Chris, I got my replacement when they were $75 and would do it again in a heartbeat. Knowing that the replacement changes a dark hole in the dash into a useful instrument, I would also spring for the new price if I had to.

I have a scan gauge (gas version) for my toad and do like the info it provides. My only concern in replacing the Info Center with the scan gauge would be getting the info involved when the check info center diagnostic pops up. I know the scan gauge will pull trouble codes, but how useful is that when you're going down the road - you still need to translate that code into something useful. On the info center it's all right there in plain text and no buttons to push to read it.

One other thing - on the new Info center display, when you turn on your lights you get a nice bright green backlight which makes reading the display even easier. I can't remember if the old version had backlighting or not. Try turning on your headlights and see if that improves the readability for the times you need it...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

tomsm,
Thank you Sir for sharing your views and, experience with that newer info center. I think I'm going to pull the plug today and order one. Trying to decide if, adding something to the top of the dash or, simply installing it in an all ready made spot IN THE DASH and, pay over $120 etc. less for the top of the dash vs the $250.00 IN THE DASH was just taking some time with me. So, you make a valid point on the code deciphering.

When my J1939 decided to go AWOL, that info center, even though very hard to read, was providing info that, even though I really didn't know what it meant at the time, did SPELL IT OUT IN PLAIN TEXT.

Scenario: Cruising along at 60 mph w/cruise control on.
At the drop of a hat, the cruise shut off, the ABS light came on
The "Check info Center" in the Annunciator panel came on
The info center: "No Engine ECM data/No Trans ECM data for
over 25 seconds. "ABS" flashing alternately with the above data
that info screen.

So, yes, it did "spell it out" right on the screen. But, as stated earlier, I or the wife, had to get down to knee level to read it. So, I think it's time to lighten up the wallet some. Thanks to all for your shared opinions and experiences here. Very much appreciated.
Scott
Old 05-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Scott, please let us know about your install and the final product when you're finished. I am interested in one also, but I would rather have you be the guinea pig...! LOL
Old 05-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Medallion Info Cemter_This is what I have been looking for

I was looking at another thread of yours "Fire Up" and you mentioned "Info Screen". That is the only name I had for that worthless little screen mounted low on my 2005 Airstream 396 XL Freightliner Chassis. Like you and others I could not read it even when sitting still much less going down the highway. So I hoped this pertained to the "info center" in my coach. So I searched the forum for info center and found this thread. This is what I have been looking for and the $250 + price is a bargain.

I am ordering it today and look forward to how your install goes as well. This is great.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I bought the "new revised" version about 2.5 years ago. Although it is a tad brighter, it doesn't show colors like the pics in the link. The viewing angle was horrible so one day, I took the dash cover off and was trying to figure out a way to remount it somehow so the angle of the screen was more in line with my eyeball. I even considered attaching some kind of overhead lite to it cuz with my sunglasses on, it was a no read period.

So, after looking at it, I found I could unmount it and tilt the bottom out 1/2" and leave the top edge flush against the dash. It still tightened back up w/o any modifications((there was a lip on the bottom that holds it in the tilted out position. This made a HUGE difference in the reading angle and now even with my shades on I can read it. I primarily keep it in the ENGINE mode cuz I want to know exactly what gear I'm in at all times. Another subject, but too bad the Allison shifter doesn't register the gear when it down or upshifts. It will only do in when you manually change gears. I have another question about the Allison shifter panel, but I'll start a separate thread on that.

I figured
Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I purchased one in 2010 and although it seemed a little brighter, it didn't have the colors like the pics in the link show. Anyway, I installed it but after I while I found I couldn't read it in the original position with the shades on, but I could with w/out them. I was even experimenting with installing a little led light over it but all that did was reflect on the screen and made it worse.

So, I pulled the dash cover and loosened up the unit and found that I could tilt out the bottom edge of the unit 1/2" and leave the top flush with the dash. There was an inner lip on the bottom of the unit that rests on the bottom of the dash hole and I could still tighten it back up normally. This was a HUGE improvement, I can now read it with my shades on, no problem as it is more in line with my eyeballs. Some may want to try this first before upgrading.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
I purchased one in 2010 and although it seemed a little brighter, it didn't have the colors like the pics in the link show. Anyway, I installed it but after I while I found I couldn't read it in the original position with the shades on, but I could with w/out them. I was even experimenting with installing a little led light over it but all that did was reflect on the screen and made it worse.

So, I pulled the dash cover and loosened up the unit and found that I could tilt out the bottom edge of the unit 1/2" and leave the top flush with the dash. There was an inner lip on the bottom of the unit that rests on the bottom of the dash hole and I could still tighten it back up normally. This was a HUGE improvement, I can now read it with my shades on, no problem as it is more in line with my eyeballs. Some may want to try this first before upgrading.
Thanks that's a good recommendation. The new one has to be better than what is in there now so with tilting it it should be at the right viewing angle.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,

I was on the phone with "Ross Equipment" today and, well, I ordered up one of the new versions of the info screens. The price was down a bit from a few days ago when I originally talked with one of those folks. It ended up being $236.00 out the door. It's still a pretty fair amount of money for a gauge/screen that's only used once in a while, at least that's the way I kind-a use it. But, maybe it's because I CAN'T READ THE PRESENT ONE!!!!

So, it will be here in a few days and, we'll see how things are "viewed" then.
Scott
Old 05-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
I received the new Info center today and just got done installing it. At this point in time, I can say it is better, not jumping for joy better but, better. It definitely is brighter than the "green" back ground one. Once I got it in and, fired up the engine, I did the contrast adjustment in both swings. It came at setting "11". I ran it up to where it disappeared off the screen (around setting 14 I think) and, did the same in the opposite direction. Setting "11" or "12", in my opinion, is about the best it can do.

So, after running through about a dozen screens, trying to set the thing up, time, date, etc. it was all done and working. But, here's a tip. Just for the heck of it, I turned on the marker lights, not the headlights, just the marker lights, and ZAP, that screen really lit up.

Now that IS as bright as I saw in the pictures! Ok, so, if I want it that bright, all the time, all I have to do is run with the marker lights on. That's no big deal. But, in the mean time, I'll just run with it as it comes, without the use of the lights, and see how I like it. You can read it way better than the original one, that's for sure. There is a ton of info on that screen, if an when you know how to bring it up. I'll continue to play with it and get better at it.

If I had to recommend it, that's "iffy". I say that because it's a lot of money, $236.00 to my door step. Yep, the ScanGaugeD is by far cheaper but, there's already a place in the dash for this and, all I did was R&R the two, plug in the plug, and, it's done. Your choice.
Scott

Tags
purchase