Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2010, 01:52 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Hi again Jim,

From the looks of it, I’d say a rock or an alligator flipped up and damaged it. It seems obvious that running into something did not cause this. If it had, the exhaust pipe and step would also be damaged. Do you see any other damage? All I see is the split bushing, what looks like a stone ding on the outboard side of the spring bracket, and some rubbing by the displaced bushing on the inboard side of the bracket. Could be a jack but that does not explain the ding on the outboard side of the bracket. This could have occurred in the 16 miles prior to your purchase. In fact I’d almost bet on it.

If the dealer wants $1000.00 just to replace the rubber piece, you need a different dealer, unless he will be fixing other damage that does not show in these pictures. Bring it to Albuquerque and I’ll replace that damaged bushing for $500. A $5.00 part and a half hour to install, I could really use the income. Jack the RV up, pry the end of the leaf down and tap the new bushing on till it snaps into the hole. Seems like these shops just assume we are made of money because we have an RV!

Does your RV insurance cover road hazards? If so, that would be the course to pursue.

Great pictures by the way.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Does this look like road damage to you? Or an ill placed jack under the spring mount?

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeafSpring5.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	2214  
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

It sure appears to be a rubber isolation pad of some sort. It looks like a simple fix. Nothing close to the quote you were given. It also looks like a defective part to me.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Hi Jim,

Looking closer at the pressure dings in the metal, I am now leaning toward your assessment of a jack, although I’m not sure what kind of jack it might have been. Perhaps a large floor-jack on wheels. It may be quite difficult to determine when, why, and who on this one. Could you take a close-up of the piece of bushing hanging down so we can see the impression in its surface? Someone may recognize the pattern and know the type of jack. Would others agree that there is no reason to replace this mount because of the nicks in the surface? Nice pic by the way.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Chrysler will generally try to worm out of a warranty on any small thing. On my wife's Sebring, one dealer (and factory was ZERO help) wanted to deny warranty on a front suspension noise because the front air dam and cross member had scrape marks. Said the car had been abused. The marks were from parking low curbs and a low car being parked. After a trip to the selling dealer and a discussion with the manager, it was determined that it was just minor scrapes and did not cause any problems and we got the car fixed.

In my opinion, you will do better getting Winnebago involved.

Ken
Old 01-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I'm thinking along the same line as Mark. Although you may never determine who did damage where, when or how, it does seem to be a easy and simple low cost fix. Good luck.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

when a person looks at the first picture,you can see where the spring is rubbing on the bracket that is the hanger i presume, there maybe something else on front end that is out of line or needs ajusting
cowboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

That rubber insulator is there to prevent noise from the springs when they rub together. Should go down the road fine. Looks like damage was caused by some type of a jack stand supporting the weight while the vehicle was being worked on. I would guess it was fine if winnegago accepted the chassis before they built the motorhome. I would go back to the dealer you purchased the motorhome from and let him figure it out. I would think a truck spring shop would be able to replace that part at a small cost to the dealer or winnebago. Just reason with them. Why would you have someone else work on it when it was still under warranty?
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Don,
Yes you are right on....I spoke to a mechanic today and showed him some pictures and he thinks the damage probably happened when "they" put the coach on a lift. It probably slipped and caused the damage... he said that does happen on occasion and the lift points are right where the damage is. As far as who is going to own up to this....my best bet is with Winnebago. i received a call this morning from the dealer and he is going to work with Winnebago. And yes the mechanic told me the rubber isolator is there for noise...also thought it could be fixed for a lot less than what Dodge/Mercedes wants to charge, ~$1k

Jim
Old 01-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

The bushing is twisted vs the leaf, and the lower leaf is twisted by maybe 1/4" vs the upper leaf. Was this bushing wrapped w/anything? Looks like a press pattern in the lower face that mighta been a metal clip designed to keep the two leaves aligned. I've seen such clips on leaf spring ends, but don't recall a rubber bushing.

For a grand, IIWMcoach, I'd squeeze a wedge between the leaves, straighten the bushing, then wrap the whole sandwich with 5 evenly spaced, double stainless tie wires (that'd be ten strands but in pairs; I have a press to do that neatly as a double wrap).
Old 01-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #31
TAN
Winnebago Owner

I had crackes on the bumber on both sides in the fiberglass in the first year of owning my Atasca. I had to pay to have it fixed. Winnebago was no help. Also they had left a strap under the slide m/h was 2 months old I had to pay to have this removed. Winnebago warrenty is not much good.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

TAN: It is your dealer not Winnebago. They "Winnebago" have gone beyond and above their warranty parameters for many of us. That is why we own their product.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Update

I was called by Ron Lichtsinn last week with the results of him trying to get Winnebago to pay for the damage to my motorhome. I sent Ron the pictures of the damage and he fwd them to Winnebago.
Winnebago denied my claim. They said the damage absolutely had to happen while I was driving the motorhome. No question at all. The motorhome was no where near a lift according to Winnebago.
So with that information I called my insurance company and started a claim. Should hear pretty soon how they want to handle it.

Jim
Old 01-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

UPDATE

Had my MH repaired by a Dodge dealer, cost was $1,325.00. They replaced the leaf spring pack...they also had to remove the generator to get at some bolts that hold the leaf spring assembly. I was very fortunate that my insurance company paid for the work less my $500 deductible. The mechanic and the service manager told me they believe the damage was caused by an errant lift or floor jack placement...I was told this by several mechanics. It seems Winnebago knows better....I provided my insurance company with photos and they asked me who I wanted to have the work done by...gave them a name and bingo....got it fixed.
So a big WARNING to anyone purchasing a 2010 View or Navion....Winnebago is using 2008 chassis they have sitting around for who knows how long....make sure you inspect everything! Crawl under the MH and look good and hard...because once you drive it off the lot...you are responsible!!

Jim
Old 01-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
once you drive it off the lot...you are responsible!!
Some good advice. If you can't crawl around underneath, bring someone along who can.
RetiredLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Update to the update

I received a call from Ron Lichtsinn this morning asking me to send him the invoice for the repair and the Insurance companies statement. Ron was visiting Winnebago today and wanted to take one more run at them to pick up my deductible. A few hours later Ron sent me an email and I have a $500 check coming my way to cover my deductible. I don't think you will find any auto/RV dealers that will go to bat for you like Ron has done.
Thanks again Ron!

Jim
Old 01-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

This one great testimony for Ron Lichtsinn and Winnebago. They deserve it.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
This one great testimony for Ron Lichtsinn and Winnebago. They deserve it.
Winnebago, denied any responsibility, so why do they deserve any great testimony?
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Winnebago, denied any responsibility, so why do they deserve any great testimony?
I believe he is giving credit to the selling dealer, Lichtsinn Motors, for getting Winnebago to pay the deductible.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Thats great news!!

I wish I had a Ron L. in our area!!
YesMan is offline   Reply With Quote