Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2019, 05:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Who manufactures Winnebago Travel Trailers?

While reading threads I came upon a post indicating Winnebago does not manufacturer the travel trailers it sells, but rather outsources their construction. Is this true, or false? If true who manufactures them? I have not been able to locate any information to substantiate this claim.
tim l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:48 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago bought Sunnybrook a few years back and manufacturers their trailers in the Indianna plant. Some manufacturing could be outsourced, it's not uncommon for manufacturers to outsource some work. Don't know, ask Winnebago.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

RV's in general are assembled from a lot outsourced parts. There are a few companies that supply frames, appliances, doors, etc to all of the RV manufacturers. Winnebago does their own assembly in their own plant. I don't know if they build their own cabinets or not but overall I've found the fit and finish in their trailers to be better than average.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Call Winnebago and ask about a factory tour of travel trailers. One way to find out if it's Iowa at the Winnebago plant or in Indiana to who ever is building them.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Only motorhomes are made in Iowa. The trailers are made in the Elkhart area. They are made by companies owned by Winnebago but not branded.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If I'm not mistaken Winnebago builds all its towables in Middlebury, IN which is east of Elkart and just south of the Michigan border.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

On Winnebagos website is a list of their plants you can tour. The trailers are manufactured in Indiana.
For specific factory tour information, contact:

Motorhomes
Winnebago Industries, Inc.
Visitors Center
1045 South 4th Street
Forest City, IA 50436
641-585-6936 or 1-800-643-4892

Towables
Winnebago of Indiana
201 14th Street
Middlebury, IN 46540
574-825-5250

Grand Design RV
11333 County Road 2
Middlebury, IN 46540
574-825-8000
Visit Site

Boats
Chris-Craft
8161 15th Street East
Sarasota, FL 34243
941-351-4900
Homonrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just Google 'Winnebago buys Sunnybrook" and read all about it. I certainly wouldn't change my mind about buying one because of that. I just sold a 2018 3401TT and bought a 2018 Minnie Winnie and am very surprised at the quality difference. In MY opinion the quality of the TT far surpasses the quality of the MH. Now, I understand that the Minnie is the low end of the spectrum of the Winnebago line, but I absolutely loved my TT. The fit and finish and visible construction.... all far superior to the MH I have now. I definitely recommend their travel trailer line. IMHO
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi from SC. Do y’all camp near OIB? Is there a good place? My g-parents used to have a place at LB. We miss it. Thanks for the help!
Dottie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyOIB View Post
Just Google 'Winnebago buys Sunnybrook" and read all about it. I certainly wouldn't change my mind about buying one because of that. I just sold a 2018 3401TT and bought a 2018 Minnie Winnie and am very surprised at the quality difference. In MY opinion the quality of the TT far surpasses the quality of the MH. Now, I understand that the Minnie is the low end of the spectrum of the Winnebago line, but I absolutely loved my TT. The fit and finish and visible construction.... all far superior to the MH I have now. I definitely recommend their travel trailer line. IMHO
Well, that is good to know. We have been looking at Micro Minnies for a couple of years now. We currently have a Casita which is 22 years old and still in great condition, with all the original equipment, and everything still works. I really appreciate the quality of it but it is just a little small for taking the grandkids along. I am trying to find something that may come close to the same quality, a little bit larger, and not cost a fortune. I am trying to convince myself the Micro Minnie would do this.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:58 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I think it's interesting that Win. bought out Grand Design a while back. G.D. is known for great quality. We went through a G.D. Imagine 2970RL TT a few weeks back at the St Louis RV Show. We loved it. The quality was top notch. Unfortunately there wasnt any Win. Dealers there. I really want to go through the Minnie Plus to see if the quality is comparable to the G.D. If so the Wi. would be a winner with the large Dealer Network that's established.
If Win. Dealers would start servicing G.D's that would be a plus for G.D.
I have to wonder if GD and Win might share manufacturing facilities. Like how Jayco and Entegra does. Both coming off the same line, just wearing a different badge.
Shopping for a new RV for the first time buyer is mind boggling to say the least. We're still probably a year away from the big decision.......plenty of time to get more confused
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
I think it's interesting that Win. bought out Grand Design a while back. G.D. is known for great quality. We went through a G.D. Imagine 2970RL TT a few weeks back at the St Louis RV Show. We loved it. The quality was top notch. Unfortunately there wasnt any Win. Dealers there. I really want to go through the Minnie Plus to see if the quality is comparable to the G.D. If so the Wi. would be a winner with the large Dealer Network that's established.
If Win. Dealers would start servicing G.D's that would be a plus for G.D.
I have to wonder if GD and Win might share manufacturing facilities. Like how Jayco and Entegra does. Both coming off the same line, just wearing a different badge.
Shopping for a new RV for the first time buyer is mind boggling to say the least. We're still probably a year away from the big decision.......plenty of time to get more confused
Ret. LEO, we have three things in common. The wife and I were at the St. Louis RV show, I too am retired LEO, and yes I agree with you that shopping RV's is very confusing. I hate poor quality, and I hate the idea of spending twenty or fourty thousand dollars on poor quality. I also refuse to spend fifty thousand dollars for a camper, so the search continues.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hi Dottie2019 We don't camp here in OIB, we happily live here! Although there are quite a few campgrounds around I don't know if I can recommend any because we have never stayed at one. Although once we did stay at the Holden Beach Pier Campground and really enjoyed it. It's right on the beachfront and only 30 mins. away from OIB. Now in my short experience of being an RVer I have learned a few things I'll be happy to pass on for what it's worth. We bought our 2018 Winnebago 2401 TT USED from an Independent Dealer and ended up selling it for what we paid for it. Traded up to a 2018 24ft. Minnie Winnie MH from CW and recently began looking again for a class A only to be offered 22K LESS then what we paid for it!! SO, I should have known better then buying NEW, and I strongly suggest to anyone looking at RV's to go slow, and buy pre-owned because in reality you probably won't keep it that long and have a LOT to loose.
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, winnebago