Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Which Winnebago most bang for the buck?

Having just sold our 35' National RV, we're in the market for a Winnebago in the 26 - 32' range with double slide. To stay within our budget I'm looking at 2001 - 2006ish Class A's. Our reason for selling our previous RV was simply due the the unsettleling feeling of driving a 1999 RV over any long distance. After several conversations with RV mechanics it appears that Winnebago is the least worrisome RV (for the money).

Our decision is which model in the 26'-32' range (with double slides) is the most bang-for-buck. Suggestions?
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Probably the one you use the most and keep the longest. Which specific one? I have no idea.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Altho a tad longer, the 35U (or 35L) on Workhorse chassis is hard to beat. Nice floor plan, good engine/Xmsn combo.

Previously had a 2000 35U (Itasca Suncruiser) on Ford chassis. Engine was OK but xmsn was only 4 speed.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
Probably the one you use the most and keep the longest. Which specific one? I have no idea.
I'm still trying to figure out what this comment means or has to do with the question.
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapml View Post
Having just sold our 35' National RV, we're in the market for a Winnebago in the 26 - 32' range with double slide. To stay within our budget I'm looking at 2001 - 2006ish Class A's. Our reason for selling our previous RV was simply due the the unsettleling feeling of driving a 1999 RV over any long distance. After several conversations with RV mechanics it appears that Winnebago is the least worrisome RV (for the money).

Our decision is which model in the 26'-32' range (with double slides) is the most bang-for-buck. Suggestions?
Ours is a 2007 Sightseer 30' with one slide. Overall we are happy with it. Wish it had a different suspension with the Ford V-10 instead of the hard riding Ford front axle. I love the engine and trans. I also wish I had looked around longer before buying. There are some great deals out there.

Happy hunting
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
Ours is a 2007 Sightseer 30' with one slide. Overall we are happy with it. Wish it had a different suspension with the Ford V-10 instead of the hard riding Ford front axle. I love the engine and trans. I also wish I had looked around longer before buying. There are some great deals out there.

Happy hunting
Let me know if you run across any of those great deals! I was thinking that the prices on the RV would have dropped a little but I'm finding that the prices on em (at least Winnebagos) hasn't dropped much at all. So......send the deals my way!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapml View Post

Our decision is which model in the 26'-32' range (with double slides) is the most bang-for-buck. Suggestions? :confused:
I have a 2004 Journey 32T with two slides and love it. Do I wish I had another slide up front for more room? Yes. Do I want to pay more money to get that extra slide? No! Seriously, this is my second Journey and I've also previously owned a Monaco Diplomat. I think the Journey is a great buy for the $$.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I have to agree , but with a specific one it would be the 32', because I like the flooeplan better.
Also like the 35 better yet, but beyond your requirments.
Choose your floorplan that fits the best for you.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I don' think Winnie built an Ultimate Advantage or Ultimate Freedom that short, but either would be a great used rig to buy. Last year they were built was 2004. In the length you indicate, I would say Journey (or it's twin Itasca Horizon) would be very hard to beat.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I believe the Horizon and Vectra were twins. Meridian and Journey twins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I don' think Winnie built an Ultimate Advantage or Ultimate Freedom that short, but either would be a great used rig to buy. Last year they were built was 2004. In the length you indicate, I would say Journey (or it's twin Itasca Horizon) would be very hard to beat.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I believe the Horizon and Vectra were twins. Meridian and Journey twins?
Yeah, but it depends on the year. In 2002 or so before the Vectra line was re-born and Meridian was created (maybe in 2005 when the Ultimate line was discontinued?) and others shuffled around, Journey and Horizon were the twins.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Wow, can be confusing. They sure do shuffle around the names sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Yeah, but it depends on the year. In 2002 or so before the Vectra line was re-born and Meridian was created (maybe in 2005 when the Ultimate line was discontinued?) and others shuffled around, Journey and Horizon were the twins.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Wow, can be confusing. They sure do shuffle around the names sometimes.
Which only makes it more difficult to sort the whole thing out!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We just purchased a Brave model 33v. Love the floor plan but ours only has a front slide. The models above 2002 I believe have two slides from what I saw when looking. We found that te Brave has a great floor plan and lots of features for the money.
Goebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We purchased a used 2004 30 foot Winnebago Sightseer last year. It has all the things we wanted but nothing outrageous. When we took it into an RV service center to make sure everything was okay, the service manager mentioned that for the money the Sightseer couldn't be beat. He said it was not the top of the line but it was a very solid unit that would last a long time. We have the Ford V10 Triton and we absolutely love the RV! It's important to remember that if whatever you purchase, if it meets your needs it'll be the best unit for YOU.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumgj View Post
We purchased a used 2004 30 foot Winnebago Sightseer last year. It has all the things we wanted but nothing outrageous. When we took it into an RV service center to make sure everything was okay, the service manager mentioned that for the money the Sightseer couldn't be beat. He said it was not the top of the line but it was a very solid unit that would last a long time. We have the Ford V10 Triton and we absolutely love the RV! It's important to remember that if whatever you purchase, if it meets your needs it'll be the best unit for YOU.
I looked at some Class C's today and then walked back through some Class A's. I think I'm spoiled by our old RV. The Class C just does feel 'right' for us. There's nothing greater than that big window going down the road or the view it gives of the activity in the campgrounds. I think he may have been right on the Sightseer. That is definitely one that we're keeping an eye on!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Suncruisers have to be on this short list. We are full timers and ours is working out great for us. They don't change much year to year so just buy according to budget and you won't go wrong.
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

HI,

My choice would be our 33V Adventurer on a workhorse chassis. It has a great floor plan including a pantry and 2 slide outs. If you need more room and a washer dryer than I would recomend a 35u or 35l.

The workhorse chassis performs well and I tow a Ford Escape and it does just fine on the hills and the straightaways too. You can't beat the Alison Transmision and now they have a 6 speed while I have a 5 speed.

Finnaly I will tell you that most of the items in the Winnebago line are made at Winnebago in Forest City, Iowa except the appliances.

A suggestion would be to go to Forest City and tour the factory then go to Lichtsinn Motors and buy your new Adventurer motorhome.

Good Luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the advise. I'm learning that the Workhorse frame and Allison transmission are superior to the Ford overall. It hurts me to say that since I've been a Ford guy. Looks like I'm going to have to go in the 33 foot range to get that combination and honestly there's not much price difference in 30 & 33 ft used models. I still haven't decided between the Sightseer, Adventurer, and maybe the Brave. But I'm learning as I go.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
We really love our '04 32V Itasca Sunrise. Two slides, Workhouse/Allison combo, great layout. Check them out. You can find some really good deals if you look hard enough.