Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Which coach to buy!

I have a dilemma! I currently own a 2004 27C sunova, and want to upgrade to a 32 to34 Adventurer, or suncruiser. We want more room and the nicer ammenities would be nice also. I have a close family friend that has worked at Baggo for several years and they are telling me to get a unit with roof air. That the reason they went back to roof air is that there were to many issues with the central air. I checked the search on basement air is it really as bad as people say? There is nothing wrong with a Sunova, but the suncruiser and adventurer are nicer!@!!
joecoolermn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We had a 2000 37G with basement air. Had plenty of problems, difficult to get at and work on. Wouldn't have another.

JMHO.

GL Arnold
Old 05-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You might consider a Sightseer. They have roof air and offer spacious interiors. We have a 2008 35J. It is not elegant inside but I have seen some that are.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you're looking for new I would highly recommend an Adventurer 32H. We replaced our 2001 Adventurer 32V with a 2013 Adventurer 32H. The new one is only about 3" longer than the old one @ 33'2+". It has considerably more interior room with the full wall slide, and much more exterior storage room because of the roof air conditioers.

We loved our 2001 Adventurer 32V coach and had no problems with the basement AC in over 12 years and over 100,000 miles. One of the features we will miss is the basement air. Most motorhome dealers and repair facilities don't like them because they're different than roof units and they don't have the tools or skills to work on them.

If you do need service on the basement units use a residential heating and AC company. They are familiar with the units because they closely resemble the AC units used in most stick built houses.

Some advantages of the basement AC are lower overall height of the motorhome. No AC covers to get blown off in the wind or hit by tree branches. The entire unit can be lowered to the ground if service is needed. No climbing on the roof. In our opinion it's quieter than the roof air. It has an air filter that's easily changed. No water dripping off the roof from the condensate tube. No condensate tube to plug up.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Nothing at all bad about the basement AC in the older Adventurers. In fact, it is much more efficient and quieter than roof mounted AC, and keeps the interior more at a constant temperature. RV techs don't know much about the basement air which is the cause for most of the complaints. Always call a residential AC serviceman. It wasn't because of problems that Winnebago stopped using them. Coleman, the manufacturer, decided to stop making them because Winnebago was the only customer and Coleman could not get a price increase from Winnebago. Winnebago considered making it themselves, or find another manufacturer, but decided to go with roof AC as it was a much less expensive unit for them. Don't hesitate buying an older Adventurer just because of the basement air. If it does go out, you can always have a roof AC mounted over one of the existing vents. Many people have made this swap. I haven't had a single problem with mine.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I can chime in here ! Since I work in the HVAC field (commercial building automation & engineering) and have a Adventurer with a basement unit I can tell you this...

I am currently having a issue with our AC unit, the condenser coil has a refrigerant leak on circuit #1, a new coil is on order and I will be able to do the install after Memorial Day due to traveling in May.

Here is the bast part, there sill is another circuit that works and will cool the motorhome ! Obviously not was well as two circuits but at lease I have some cooing. If you have a rooftop unit there is only one circuit in them, so unless you have two rooftop units, you do not have any redundancy.

The times I have contacted RV products they have answered all my questions and have parts readily available for our AC unit that was produced in 2004.

Documentation is available on their website. Personally if you have one you should look up the model number and download all the technical information that is available. Print it out and give it to the service technician if needed.

Service, any residential / commercial HVAC company will be able to work on this. Its the refrigerant cycle not rocket science.

Why did they go back to roof air? Cost would be the factor I think. It's most likely cheeper to put two units on the roof and a small amount of ducting then the basement unit.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I understand there were two primary reasons they dropped the basement air units. First, the new federally mandated refrigerant required a higher compression system which significantly increased their cost. Second, they could not run on just 30 Amps; instead they required 50 Amps which is not always available to us RV travelers. RV Products continues to make them with the new refrigerant. They sell many of them to the military who have lots of Amps produced by their large generators. For the diesel units they lost a compartment bay because of the new DEF emission systems. By going to the roof air they offset the loss of a compartment.
I miss my basement air system. It was at least 20-30% quieter. I would not be afraid of the basement air. There is a lot of documentation on repairs or preventative maintenance. I have several friends with units over 7 years old and a couple over 10 years old with no problems. I also owned a Suncruiser and loved it.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Mine can run on under 27 amps.

Why do you say they need 50?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have had two coaches with basement air and now our first coach with roof air. My DW and I agree the basement air worked better and quieter. It would also work when plugged into 30 amp. Roof air is noises.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Bug517,
The new high compression with the new Freon need more than 27 Amps to start and run. The old Freon ones only needed about 24-27 Amps.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We had a 2000 Adventurer and now have a 2008 Adventurer, both with basement air, They work great, no problems. we love basement air, was sorry to see it go.