Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2018, 07:28 PM   #21
Retired Sailor and Wench

You might also consider Texas.

In January 2018, I bought a 2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F (bath and a half) floor plan with 16,000 miles on it for $87,000. I had searched the internet for like models and discovered a wide range in selling prices from $89,890 in Liberty Texas, to $112,900 in Forest City Iowa, to $136,500 in Avon Park FL, to $194,656 in Seffner FL. I was able to negotiate the Liberty TX price down to $87,000 and bought the rig.

I ended up having to replace the Onan Generator carburetor because the unit had sat so long the carburetor was all gummed up. But, I think you can see that there was a wide range in price points available for the identical used Class A. I am pleased with my purchase.
Tailhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Vandi,

Would highly recommend Lichtsinn RV as well. We just purchased a 2018 Sunstar LX 30T and love it! Although we did not buy from them, because we had a trade in and the local dealer gave us a great deal. The 2019s are arriving and you can save some extra money if they have a 2018 on the lot that you like.

Unlike some of the stories you hear the only issue we have had is a piece of exterior trim had to be replaced. We have only had our unit three months and 2500 mi., so there may be more hick-ups to come.

Best of Luck !
Wonderdog1
Wonderdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Vandi,

You've gotten a lot of good advice. I would only add:

* Based on numerous posts I've read over the years, I would avoid Camping World ("CW") as a general rule.

* There are good dealers like Lichtsinn, but there are plenty of bad ones as well. Unless you are planning to drive back to the dealer for service and repairs, I see little reason to buy from a dealer. It doesn't matter how wonderful they are if, as a practical matter, you'll never go back.

* Having said that, I imagine financing (if necessary) and paperwork would be easier at a dealer. I'd guess that dealers closer to the US-Canadian border would be most familiar with what is required to bring a US spec RV into Canada.

* If you are comfortable handling the paperwork then I would lean toward a private sale. That's what we did and it worked out well.

* I'm assuming you have already done your homework, been to RV shows, etc, and know exactly what you want.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2018, 09:50 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

I bought a new Winnebago at Camping World of Boise in Meridian Idaho. They are a volume Winnebago dealer with lots of in-stock Winnebagos that offers no haggle internet pricing so you can get an idea of the huge discounts off MSRP that volume Winnebago dealers offer, for all of the models they have in stock.

I was able to save thousands vs. Lichtsinn and other dealers by buying there. That said, I had no intention of returning to them for Warranty or Post-Warranty service on the RV and never used them for anything post delivery so can't say if they are competent for service.

I used a Kansas dealer for warranty service to repair a major problem a few months after purchase and it went OK. Minor post-purchase problems I just fixed them all myself. If you are prepared to fix a few loose screws, some trim plugs falling out, some minor water leaks that just involve tightening a pex fitting, etc. you may be like me and never need to see the selling dealer again after your purchase.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:28 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Posting a contrarian option, in case the US doesn't yield anything that catches your eye. Sicard RV in Smithville, Ontario and Forest City in London, Ontario are 2 dealers who have reasonable reputations. Both sell used, and would be available for after sales support. The Hitch House in Barrie and 1,000 Islands RV also appear to have used unit sales. Both are fairly big in size and inventory.
RVTrader and RVT.com are both good options for narrowing down your floor plans and to get some pricing info. RVTradrer allows you to create email alerts using vehicle specific criteria and you can choose to receive them when something that matches your "must have" criteria hits the market.
I would also avoid General RV. I asked about some minor service work a while back, and was told that they would do it, but if I didn't buy it from them, the hourly labor rate was double.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #26
Itasca Sunstar Owner

We bought our 2015 Sunstar from Forest City in London Ontario. We are very happy with their service and they are very helpful.

Keep in mind that most dealers will give priority service and better shop prices if you buy from them. If you did not by from them the shop rate is usually higher and it could take longer to get service done.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Posting a contrarian option, in case the US doesn't yield anything that catches your eye. Sicard RV in Smithville, Ontario and Forest City in London, Ontario are 2 dealers who have reasonable reputations. Both sell used, and would be available for after sales support. The Hitch House in Barrie and 1,000 Islands RV also appear to have used unit sales. Both are fairly big in size and inventory.
RVTrader and RVT.com are both good options for narrowing down your floor plans and to get some pricing info. RVTradrer allows you to create email alerts using vehicle specific criteria and you can choose to receive them when something that matches your "must have" criteria hits the market.
I would also avoid General RV. I asked about some minor service work a while back, and was told that they would do it, but if I didn't buy it from them, the hourly labor rate was double.
Do not buy at Sicard RV in Smithville!!! At one time when the father was running the business I would have no hesitation dealing with them. Now the sons are running it and have no desire to be honest or above board.
They will not honour the advertised price (they upped mine by 10K the day I was there (after talking to them on the phone the day it was advertised and confirming price and availability) and justified it by saying they put 8 new tires on since they advertised it - later on I saw the paperwork and the previous owner had put the tires on the year before!) . They did an extremely poor job of doing a safety inspection, one signal light was missing the bulb and the wipers had rubber hanging off. They refused to fix anything as they said I should have pointed it out when I bought it. The also took out the air mattress we wanted and that was in it when we bought it, for a torn and dirty cheap one from another unit. When we picked it up the salesman ignored us and didn't even do the normal things like changing the plates for us or walk us through. They sent out a guy who only picks up and delivers RVs to do the walk through - good thing I knew more than him. As far as he was concerned once they had the money he was done.
As you can see I am still upset with them and the only reason I bought the MH was that there was nothing similar available in eastern Canada.

I would deal with Forest City in London, they had fair prices and knowledgeable staff.

The Hitch House in Barrie does not list the prices online for any unit. I've been there in person but found their prices way over the top.

1000 Islands RV has very few class A's nowadays, it seems they are more geared toward class C's. I found that their prices were well above everyone else.

Over the past few years I've been to every major RV dealer in eastern/southern Ontario and most of the small ones as well. The best deals I got were from the smaller dealers.

I also seriously considered going to the US and in hindsight that is what I would do now.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:48 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Where to look

I would check out rvtraders.com. you can select the year, brand and model and narrow your search for new or used by dealers or private. good luck
becken63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Don't buy a rig that has lived in the winter climes. While that fiberglass and aluminum may look good, frame and drivetrain rust can be a problem. I bought in Seattle and was so fixated on roof condition that I didn't even think about the bottom side. Also, DO NOT believe the dealer when they say they will inspect it for you, or that they are required by law to do some sort of inspection. Don't buy an extended warranty. You will fight tooth and nail for every repair until you are tired of fighting. If you are worried about a catastrophic failure, then take the money you would put into a warranty, and put it into a savings account. That way, if you need it...
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Dave Arbogast Rv. Troy Ohio.

Bought mine there and could not be more happy.
dmoritz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:24 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higshar View Post
We bought our 2015 Sunstar from Forest City in London Ontario. We are very happy with their service and they are very helpful.

Keep in mind that most dealers will give priority service and better shop prices if you buy from them. If you did not by from them the shop rate is usually higher and it could take longer to get service done.
I will avoid those who discriminate against me or any other customer for any reason, including because "I didn't buy it from them". That's nonsense. That's why I posted up avoid General RV. They clearly discriminate against customers that didn't buy from them. I've owned motorhomes for over a decade, and have never been told that load of crap before at any other dealer or shop.
It's the same as people who think they have to take their rig back to point of purchase to get warranty work done. Or dealers who warn you, if you buy your motorhome in the US with a factory warranty, you can't get warranty work done on it in Canada. It's not the dealership that provides the warranty, it's the manufacturer, and it's good anywhere that sells and services that make of RV, based on that alone. If someone says they won't provide service because you "didn't buy it there", you can notify the manufacturer, especially if it's a warranty issue. My issue wasn't warranted, so I couldn't be bothered. I'll just go elsewhere.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:34 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Double the hourly rate?

Seriously?!

Their franchise agreement should be canceled immediately.

I don't understand why mfrs let dealers get away with business practices like that.

Buyers continue to be told they can take their rig to *ANY* authorized dealer -- the same as the auto industry.

That is clearly not true.

Technically, sure, you can go to any dealer -- but they may charge you more and/or make you wait for weeks if not months! Or, they may simply refuse and tell you to hit the road.

It's amazing that the RV mfrs continue to sell as many rigs as they do.

Good advice regarding buying in Canada.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvw613 View Post
Don't buy a rig that has lived in the winter climes. While that fiberglass and aluminum may look good, frame and drivetrain rust can be a problem. I bought in Seattle and was so fixated on roof condition that I didn't even think about the bottom side. Also, DO NOT believe the dealer when they say they will inspect it for you, or that they are required by law to do some sort of inspection. Don't buy an extended warranty. You will fight tooth and nail for every repair until you are tired of fighting. If you are worried about a catastrophic failure, then take the money you would put into a warranty, and put it into a savings account. That way, if you need it...
Solid advice.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:27 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I will avoid those who discriminate against me or any other customer for any reason, including because "I didn't buy it from them". That's nonsense. That's why I posted up avoid General RV. They clearly discriminate against customers that didn't buy from them. I've owned motorhomes for over a decade, and have never been told that load of crap before at any other dealer or shop.
It's the same as people who think they have to take their rig back to point of purchase to get warranty work done. Or dealers who warn you, if you buy your motorhome in the US with a factory warranty, you can't get warranty work done on it in Canada. It's not the dealership that provides the warranty, it's the manufacturer, and it's good anywhere that sells and services that make of RV, based on that alone. If someone says they won't provide service because you "didn't buy it there", you can notify the manufacturer, especially if it's a warranty issue. My issue wasn't warranted, so I couldn't be bothered. I'll just go elsewhere.
You've got the right attitude.

We've never had to do business with a dealer because we bought used (private sale) and -- so far anyway -- I've been able to take care of repairs and maint myself. However, based on the posts I've read on multiple RV forums over almost a decade most RV dealers have a serious aversion to:

a) Any warranty work, particularly if the rig was not purchased from them.

b) Working on any RV that they did not sell.

The former I can at least understand (but not excuse).

The latter is just petty. I've always wondered if they treat all potential customers that way -- even those that live hundreds or thousands of miles away and could not be expected to buy from them.

It seems there is something seriously wrong within the RV industry -- lots of hostility between the dealers and mfrs; and between the dealers themselves, and the customer is getting caught in the crossfire.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

I would check with Lichtsinn in Forrest City, Iowa before driving to Florida. Much closer and they are good to deal with and within a mile to the Winnebago factory.
Richpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:16 PM   #36
Winnebago Watcher

Buying used Class A

I have spent months watching online ads and buying used RV’s.
Craigslist and RV Trader will get you most listings you can check most of the US this way.
Pengdahua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandi View Post
Hi,

We are Canadians heading to the US to purchase our first Winnebago. We are looking for a fairly new 30-33 ft Class A. We understand that Florida (Miami) and Arizona (Phoenix) are the best places to head. Anyone have any specific suggestions?

Cheers

WoW! Big step. Before you jump into any deal you will do much better if you know what you are looking for BEFORE you start to shop.

Before we bought this coach we are now in, and love, we its big sister at a show (Tour/Elips). Our old rig was not treating us well. I had not researched floor plan, storage, features, etc before I bought. I got what I thought I could afford. Bad, very bad way to purchase.

Take the time to look at coaches at the local dealers. All of the makes. Find out what you really like and what is not so good for you. Make a dream list: Convection oven, TV over fireplace, washer/dryer, residential fridge, good cabinet storage, basement size, queen or king bed, pure sine wave inverter, AGM batteries, solar.... And the list goes on. If you are planing to visit many of the wonderful state and federal parks sticking with a length of under 36' is a good idea.

Another big debate is chassis and engine. I have always been a diesel/Freightliner fan. I need the security of knowing I am not over straining my rig. But, then, I am full time and a volunteer with many tools on board. Not your typical camper. It is my opinion and experience that the diesel is less work to keep running. Maintenance coasts may be higher when they happen but we need less attention than with gassers in my opinion. And the air ride and engine in the rear makes the long trips much more enjoyable, especially for the driver.

Lastly is tires. Make certain the tires are within 7 years. Michelin have a tendency to show side wall checking after about 5 years and is the only company to supply their dealers with a chart for determining when the cracks are no longer acceptable. There are many threads on this forum for tires.

At the moment I can't think of anything else. The idea of Cregslist or Ebay is a good one. One guy I know buys damaged coaches and repairs them then sells them. Usually they are good to go.

Keep us posted on your progress. Many newbees could learn from your experiences.

Rick
Old 07-02-2018, 08:59 AM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Independent inspection

It would be a good idea to get an independent inspection if you are going to buy a used RV.
There are expert individuals around the country who provide such services. For a few hundred dollars it’s well worth it. It could also help to negotiate the final price.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richpet View Post
I would check with Lichtsinn in Forrest City, Iowa before driving to Florida. Much closer and they are good to deal with and within a mile to the Winnebago factory.
X2. I have had some limited dealings with their parts and service department recently, regarding some planned non-warranty work, and got good vibes from those people who helped me out.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #40
Itasca Traveler

LaMesa RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandi View Post
Hi,

We are Canadians heading to the US to purchase our first Winnebago. We are looking for a fairly new 30-33 ft Class A. We understand that Florida (Miami) and Arizona (Phoenix) are the best places to head. Anyone have any specific suggestions?

Cheers
We had a very good experience with LaMesa RV in Sanford, Fl. We were looking for a 2 year old Itasca Suncruiser. In September 2014, they had a 2012 model-year listed on their website. Over the phone and email, they provided all the information I needed for the use RV. A couple hours later they called me back to let me know they had a 2014 model they needed to move to receive 2015 inventory. We bought the 2014 model at a deep discount. After we closed the sale, they provided us two nights camping at a local campground to thoroughly inspect, play with the accessories and develop questions. We returned on Monday and they fixed the minor issues we found and answered all our questions. LaMesa has several locations in Fl, Az, Ca and NM. The Sanford facility has a very nice customer waiting area, service center and a multitude of RVs to see. If we ever decide to trade, we will return to LaMesa in Sanford. BEWARE OF CAMPING WORLD!
GaHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago