Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2022, 10:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Where do you recommend placing my 2014 Winnebago Adventurer For Sale

I have no idea where to post my motorhome for sale. I have never even sold a car! Where do you folks recommend?

Also, how does the title thing go getting it in their name? Do I do that? LOL, yes, I am lost,. thanks for the help!!
Old 08-07-2022, 10:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Lots and lots of difficult questions involved!

Are you a "sturdy " person who can deal with creeps if they show up? That can change if you are not as you may want to let other handle the face to face. Did I mention there are creeps whoc want to steal things or worse?

Consignment with a dealer can work but it can have it's own pitfalls. Somelike to have lots of RV on the lot, to look "big time" but they don't want to sell yours as much as their own RV!

We sold our last RV using a dealer from online who made the deal go so well that we now will go that way if ever needed in the future.
We figure we got around $200 less than we might have otherwise but were willing togo that way for the quick, easy, no hassle part. We told them what we had and listed known defects, they gave us a price and flew up to look it over. We had failed to report a windshield chip ($500 discount) but overall they did little nitpicking and it went very good.
Done and gone in less than a couple hours with cash in hand. The major hangup that took time was our bank had nobody there to okay that size deal! We've now switched banks!

If you have the title, in many places it is just your job to sign it after you get money in hand and they then register it with the state----but that depends on each state's laws...
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:27 PM   #3
Site Team

There is a free classifieds here. Just go here: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f270/

The best two online RV Classifieds are RVT and RV Trader. Here are links:

https://www.rvt.com/
https://www.rvtrader.com/

Some dealer's take consignments and will sell your RV for you and take a percentage of the sale. But they handle everything for you.

Here's the hard park. The instant you put an ad online you will get emails or texts from scam artists that will tell you they are ready to buy, sight unseen, for full price and YOU have to be savvy enough to totally ignore and not respond to those scammers. Another scam that's happening is you'll immediately hear from scammers that will GUARANTEE to advertise and sell your RV for you for one low price. They promise to advertise it and take care of all the details. Sometimes they claim they'll do this for $40 sometimes they'll hit you with $400 to do it. Why it changes I'm not sure. Be sure to ignore all of these scams.

How will you know a real buyer? They'll be interested but not instantly ready to buy. They'll mention the name of the RV in their contact. They'll want to see it. They'll want to negotiate on pricing. Stuff like that.

And lastly, if you hear from a buyer and as you get into the sale they claim to be out of the country, away on business, tending to a sick family member and unable to come to you but they will send an agent or friend with a cashiers check to come pay you and pick up the RV then. Stop all contact and ignore all future discussions - because this is a well known scam that can cost you your RV and a lot of other money too. Honest, it's a thing and it happens to people and they lose thousands.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you! Sounds like alot of unsavory characters out there. Richard, if you do not mind, could you let me know who the dealer was? I thought about going that route. I did check with who I bought it from in Florida, but he was way off what I know from research it could sell for.
I do not like the idea of people coming to my house, like you said, who knows what their intentions are.
creativepart thank you for the information. Will take a look at these today. We have a camping world and 3 other smaller dealers here, will check with them as well.

thanks again!
Old 08-08-2022, 06:56 AM   #5
Site Team

What you need is a dealer that will sell your RV on consignment, not one that will buy it outright or you will get about half what it is worth.

One of the largest consignment dealers is in Houston, but that would require you to take the RV there and you may not wish to do so. The name of the Houston dealer is PPL Motorhomes. https://www.pplmotorhomes.com They are nationally known and appear to be honest folks.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl View Post
Thank you! Sounds like alot of unsavory characters out there. Richard, if you do not mind, could you let me know who the dealer was? I thought about going that route. I did check with who I bought it from in Florida, but he was way off what I know from research it could sell for.
I do not like the idea of people coming to my house, like you said, who knows what their intentions are.
creativepart thank you for the information. Will take a look at these today. We have a camping world and 3 other smaller dealers here, will check with them as well.

thanks again!
We used a dealer which just popped upand it worked well for us but it also is good to talk to them and see how it feels to you on YOUR RV!

I love buying as I feel I am in control and can walk away any time but I hate selling! Nothing at all impressive when looking at the business online on Google maps and nothing really otherwise but it worked well for us and with most of our money in the stock market, the few dollars we could have made diffferent was not enough to make us want to wait for any better offers.

We had already spent three months with it on a consignment lot and getting"offers" which seemed to always fall through but going down. We finally showed up at their lot without calling and found the salemen seemed to be using it as clubhouse. Tracks on the floor, dirty half filled coffee cups here and there so we were relieved to just get it back from them so we could reclean it, AGAIN!

https://rvselectinc.com/?gclid=CjwKC...RoCQhEQAvD_BwE
Old 08-14-2022, 08:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Maybe it would be worth a call to these folks. Their website says they do consignment and are here in the Carolina’s. Best of luck.

https://www.campersinn.com/contact-us-consignment
Old 08-15-2022, 03:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you!
Old 08-15-2022, 07:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The problems we found with consignment maynot be true of all dealers, ofcourse, but I might point to some of the downsides we saw.

There are honest people but there are also many dishonest! So we have to filter what we find?

There are some dealers who have both their stock and consingment stock and this can lead to some problems as it tends to be much more profit if they can sell what they own. But at the same time there is a tendancy for most of us as shoppers to go where there are lots of RV on the lot. That means it pays for the consignment dealer to have lots of stock on the lot as that drives more people to come look.

One way to have more stock on the lot is to not sell the consignment but use it as "bait" to drive more traffic! More traffic means more potential customers but if the customer gets there due to the low listed price of the consignment but finds it a dirty mess, they tend to look and buy other stock that the dealer makes more profit selling!

When/ if our RV had sold, how would we know what price they got versus what price we got? Each time they called with an offer, the price went down and the amount they offered to buy it from us also dropped! Texas good old boys often have schemes to make a few extra bucks! How is it where you live?

We felt much better in dealing with an actual cash in hand offer and seeing it drive away that day!
Old 08-15-2022, 11:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Here is another company to check out, they charge a 5% commission: RVWHEELATOR.com.

I don't think you're limited to advertising with just one company, that's another question to ask.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hi there, I am in Myrtle Beach. Thank you for your reply. I really do not want people coming to my home with all that goes on and I have never even sold a car! I will call a few dealers in our area. Camping world is the largest, but does not have many class A in the times we looked.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:03 AM   #12
Site Team

Many of us would caution you about the possible lack of honesty at Comping World retail RV sales outlets. But you can decide that for yourself.

Tags
adventurer, sale, vent, winnebago