Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I'm going to PDI a 2000 UA this weekend. I've looked over the coach and noted several minor items that the dealer says he will fix. But I am wondering to what items should I expect a dealer to repair or replace on an older MH. I know to expect everything to work but with everthing being out of warranty what is a dealers obligation to the customer?
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm going to PDI a 2000 UA this weekend. I've looked over the coach and noted several minor items that the dealer says he will fix. But I am wondering to what items should I expect a dealer to repair or replace on an older MH. I know to expect everything to work but with everthing being out of warranty what is a dealers obligation to the customer?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Everything is negotiable...if you are buying a used r/v, you decide what is important to you...if the dealer doesn't see that it is important to you then this may be the wrong dealer to be doing business with. You should insist on everything that is important to you..if he wants the deal he will make the repairs..but first have him put it in writing

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garbageman:
I'm going to PDI a 2000 UA this weekend. I've looked over the coach and noted several minor items that the dealer says he will fix. But I am wondering to what items should I expect a dealer to repair or replace on an older MH. I know to expect everything to work but with everthing being out of warranty what is a dealers obligation to the customer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the dealer is offering a warrenty based on a P(re)D(elivery) I(nspection) then everything is expected to work otherwise he would be selling the coach AsIs without a PDI. You may end up hearing the dealers definition of what is just a cosmetic issue and therefore not covered but even those items are open to discussion.

He would also be obliged to fix what ever is required by the State to make a vehicle road worthy if any such requirement exists in that State.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Neil is right...

If he is offering aftermarket warrenty, he is basically "Certifing" it for the warrenty company. So any items covered by that warrenty "Must" operate acording to that agreement.

And again, what is cosmetic, and what is not has a lot of latitude. When we bought our UA, the dealer was awesome about any problem we brought up. The trick really is catching the problems during the PDI. Take your TIME, don't be in a rush, or let them rush you. Make sure you drive it.

Our dealer in SC, arraged camping sites, we arrived the night before. Saw the coach briefly, and inspected it "without" them around. We slept on it, then did the PDI in the morning, after we were satisfied, we signed paperwork, then started our "Move". While we were moving, some things were handled then.

If we didn't have so far to drive (Back to WI) I would have wanted another day.

Another thought that I wouldn't do again, is having it delivered on a weekend. Not only was the dealership superbusy, they were "weekend" staff. I think you get much better service during the work week.

Congrats and goodluck!

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your input. We've been to see the coach twice and have hammered out a price. The dealership has been real good about noting items that we feel need to be fixed and they will have those done prior to us showing up this weekend to do the PDI, sign paperwork and hand over the downpayment. They have assured me that they will repair or replace any other items we find during the PDI or we can walk away from the deal.

We are excited about this coach but are not blindly in love with it. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Paul:

When we negotiating on our used, 'out-of-warranty' rig with the dealer in Illinois, he offered to warranty everything on the rig for 90 days after purchase. He arranged for us to stay in the rig overnight on his lot to check all systems. We found a few items which his folks either repaired immediately or ordered parts for, shipping them to me at home. He also agreed (since we lived 850 miles from him) to work with either my local Winne dealer or my independent RV mechanic on any necessary repairs within that 90 day period.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

And....since this is probably one of the most expensive purchases you may ever make---

Don't be in a hurry to get away. Be prepared tp stay in the area for a few days so that you make sure that everything is working.

Hearing about people that drive 1500 miles to pick up a newly purchased rig, and then turn right around and go immediately back home, only to find a two page list of "Uh Ohs" is not really good planning.