Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Have any of you figured out a good way of using those big truck nozzels in there small holed Journey fill holes?
Old 10-16-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Have any of you figured out a good way of using those big truck nozzels in there small holed Journey fill holes?
Old 10-16-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Big Ben,

I know what your refering to. It takes a little finess, but it will work. The part I don't like, is watching the $ meter go by so much faster, especially when the price is over $3 per gallon. It's hard stopping it on a whole dollar. I like even dollar amounts.

Also, look around at the other pumps, sometimes they have both sizes, it's just a pain in the rear moving the coach to another pump.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
cwg
Winnebago Camper

The only thing that I have found which helps is to not put the nozzle as far into the fuel opening. In other words, my experience is that when the large nozzle is inserted too far, the fuel will gush back due to the volume of the flow---by angling the nozzle differently than normal, the fuel does not rush back up as quickly cutting off the pump. You may see if this helps you.

Other past members have stated that they went the route of having the fill hose on the coach altered. I never wanted to try this remedy myself, but you may check the forum for archives on this topic.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

On our Horizon, the fuel fill neck is plenty large enough in diameter but the high-volume truck pumps still present a problem with premature cut-off.

We're still learning and coming up with a fueling process on the new coach but what works best so far is to fill on the lowest setting. When it clicks off I clean the windshield and kill some time to let the foam settle. Then I hand fill until we get another rising of foam, then we wait, etc. until I get about as much fuel in as I think I need. If no truck is behind me, I might take 15 or 20 minutes to fill.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:39 AM   #6

Have you tried taking off the filler cap from the other side? On my KSDP I have found this helps a lot. Fills quickly almost to completly full and no slash out. Nozzel still shuts off when supposed too. I would have someone there to make sure first time I tried it.
Derek aka Mindcandies
Old 10-17-2005, 04:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I would love to try the other side but I have never found one on the passenger side.
I think I will look into having the hole enlarged. The way is now I have to hold it and keep pressure on it at whole time I'm fueling. It is a real pain
Old 10-17-2005, 02:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mindcandies:
Have you tried taking off the filler cap from the other side? On my KSDP I have found this helps a lot. Fills quickly almost to completly full and no slash out. Nozzel still shuts off when supposed too. I would have someone there to make sure first time I tried it.
Derek aka Mindcandies </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I did try this once and found that instead of fuel dribbling out of one filler neck, I had a mess on two sides

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I have found that placing the high volume truck stop nozel just inside the edge of the filler that it will run on low quite fine. If you look close you will see that there is a ridge around the very end of the truck nozel.
Kenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Another method is to twist the nozzle about 45 to 60 degrees and it is less likely to shut off. However, at some point you have to slow down and let the foam settle as it approaches full.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have figured it out and sometimes it even works. Insert the nossle just a little bit. Raise the nossle up as high as you can and then turn the nossle to a 2:00 angle. This has worked and I can increase the flow a full position. However, you must hold the hose at this angle. Another trick I have used is to raise the filler side of the coach. This increases the flow down the fuel line !! Thanks Winnebago it would be nice if you had to fill a coach sometime and it takes 30 minutes to run 40 gallons in the tank.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thank goodness I have never had this problem with my coach. I don't insert the nozzle very far and it works fine. After it automatically cuts off it won't hold maybe another gallon.

Had a gas 99 Adventurer which I really liked with the Ford Motor and Chassis and it was a real pain to fill. Had to tilt the coach and run the gas very slow...Take Care and Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Trade it in on a gasser?

Then you get to wait and wait and wait and.... while the moronic gas-pump trickles in the fuel at a mind-numbingly slow rate (Never had one of those spew fuel back at me!).

But it does leave you plenty of time to wash the windshield and the coach, change the oil, go grocery-shopping, take a nap.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:42 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

When I was at the factory in May of this year there were rumors of a fix for the slow fill problem. I checked into it because that was one of my complaints also. Ends up they had no fix. The problem with the D/P from Winnebago is that the fill neck and pipe are to small in diamater and also that the fill line makes a rt turn and then a left turn before going into the tank. The turns cause the fuel to back up quickly and foam more. I look to see if there would be a way to re-route the fill tubs so they don't make the lt and rt turn but could not see a way to do it. Winnebago needed to design the fill in a different location so that the tank fill goes directly into to tank without so many turns.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote