Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2021, 09:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What RV Maping App do you use?

Looking to see what RV app my fellow RVers use? Any better than others? My main concern is best roads to drive like when you get to a town you haven't been to before, so you DONT end up on a street thats not for an RV! been there! Thanks
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I used DeLorme Street Atlas for years (since 1998) but since they were bought by Garmin in 2015, no longer. Have tried RV Trip Wizard, and after unlearning the Street Atlas method, am beginning to like the suite of apps that comes with it. They have a trial offer, so give it a try.
PapaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I bought the Garmin 870 GPS. So far it’s been good. I’m still trying to get used to the functions.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

TruckMap app on IOS.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I use my smartphone and TomTom maps. There is a small monthly fee but the maps are resident on the smartphone so I don't need internet access, and the app is pretty good.

If I am in a city with good cell service I also use Google Maps on the same phone. Both apps play through the RV's navigation system using ApplePlay and, of course, Google Maps works with Android Auto.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I try to avoid narrow bridges and narrow roads where my RV is wider than the roadway. Do any of the GPSs or apps check for that?
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I use RV Tripwizard. Also the RV life app with gps that works will AppleCarplay. As well as Garmin RV890GPS. I find RV tripwizard a great planning tool.
Vince5764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I've been using Goggle Maps for several years for about the last 5 months it has started flipping me from route to route depending on the best time and highway conditions. With Siri as a voice guide I've discovered sometimes the difference is 1-2 minutes. And I have been sent down side streets of small towns because of the 3 slowdowns for traffic lights and no consideration of 6 stop signs and narrow streets. I'm going to try RV Life Trip Wizard.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm giving RV Trip Wizard a run for a year. So far so good. Was ale to export from and in to my Garmin. Safer getting my directions off the satellites than running out of cell service and getting all twisted up
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Garmin 770RV and Google satellite view of gas stations only when towing my Ford Focus.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Waze for me. Good gps, and warnings of issues on the road and police. Of course it doesn’t account for RV safe roads, but if I’m taking a trip where I’m concerned, I will search on here for a route. And get some good stories, and things to see along the way. Community man!

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
Looking to see what RV app my fellow RVers use? Any better than others? My main concern is best roads to drive like when you get to a town you haven't been to before, so you DONT end up on a street thats not for an RV! been there! Thanks
I'm an old Microsoft Streets & Trips guy. Unfortunately it is no longer being published. It is not perfect but is still the easiest tool for trip planning, flaws and all. I like having the map on my laptop to plan with and the GPS navigation big screen when I'm on the road. Printing the trip is another great feature.

We just bought a Garmin RV-785. I am not used to planning trips with it yet. The little bit I have tried seems very cumbersome. So far it seems to be taking us on the longest and most difficult routs around the Birmingham area and the exit numbers are not always accurate. We are using it in the car at this time with the car profile. A new update is available so I won't be too concerned until I see what that does for us.

All apps and devices come with the disclaimer: We don't guarantee the accuracy or route safety. The user is responsible for verifying that.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Don’t use RV app. I use Google MyMaps to plot the course and save. Then you can use google maps to open it on your phone.
PeterAtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #14

I used a Garmin RV 660LMT for a couple of years but it would overheat and shutdown in late afternoon due to the sun hitting the dash. It died and was replaced by a RV 780 & Traffic. On a recent trip in the province of Quebec, we found that it favoured expressways even when the option to avoid them was selected, and it had trouble finding provincial parks. It required digging through it before the trip to be sure we could find the destination when we needed it. Fortunately, I can read paper maps!
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:46 AM   #15
Site Team

My Adventurer has the Xite system with Rand McNally GPS. I've taken the time to learn it's ins and outs and I like it quite a lot.

For Trip Planning then I use the Rand McNally TripMaker website. It's what's left of the old Good Sam Trip Planner website. It has most all of of the campgrounds in it's database. But we use campgroundreviews.com to pick out our spots and then enter them into the search feature at the RAND TripMaker website.

It can give you all kinds of other info along your route, but we don't really want that. Once our trip is entered, we just put our Xite system's SD card into the desktop computer and import the trip as one "Multi-Stop Trip" and we're all set.

Here's the map for our latest trip to the Rockies:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 12.45.20 PM.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	181185  
Old 10-29-2021, 06:27 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
My Adventurer has the Xite system with Rand McNally GPS. I've taken the time to learn it's ins and outs and I like it quite a lot.

For Trip Planning then I use the Rand McNally TripMaker website. It's what's left of the old Good Sam Trip Planner website. It has most all of of the campgrounds in it's database. But we use campgroundreviews.com to pick out our spots and then enter them into the search feature at the RAND TripMaker website.

It can give you all kinds of other info along your route, but we don't really want that. Once our trip is entered, we just put our Xite system's SD card into the desktop computer and import the trip as one "Multi-Stop Trip" and we're all set.

Here's the map for our latest trip to the Rockies:
For frequent travelers, like me, going on long, mulitiday trips every month or so much time is spent on route details. If no internet is available, which often happens, planning a trip becomes a real challenge.

My Christmas wish is for a group of these really smart, very clever data geeks would get together and buy Streets & Trips from Microsoft, rebrand it and put it back on the market with really good advertising so we could easily become aware of it and its great features. I would not hesitate to pay $50, $75 or even $100 to get a new version of this great RV, trucker and sales program trip planner. Ahhh. But to wish....
Old 10-29-2021, 12:04 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
My Christmas wish is for a group of these really smart, very clever data geeks would get together and buy Streets & Trips from Microsoft, rebrand it and put it back on the market
You'll be better off just learning some of these other new systems - rather than long for software originally written 35-years ago for Windows XP.

Maptitude says it's a Streets and Trips replacement - and it costs $700.

https://www.caliper.com/maptitude/so...-and-trips.htm
Old 10-29-2021, 01:09 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I use CoPilot GPS, which is RV-specific, to look ahead and plan routes. I don't like it as an in-motion GPS, but it's good for making sure a route is appropriate for an RV. One place where it does well in-motion is rerouting if you miss a turn. I've noticed that it accounts for vehicle size better than other non-RV GPS systems when you go off plan.

In motion, I use Waze and either don't run the routing or ignore it in favor of the CoPilot route.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:47 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I guess I was hoping to hear about one that would advise you on gas stations that are RV friendly as far as getting in and out or streets you don't want to go down due to trees or tight streets. Yes I d I use maps and seat her bug to see aerial views. Thanks everyone
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:02 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
I guess I was hoping to hear about one that would advise you on gas stations that are RV friendly as far as getting in and out or streets you don't want to go down due to trees or tight streets.
I don't think anything like this is available... or possible. And, I'm not sure I'd trust it if they said it was able to do this. It's hard enough for GPS mapping devices to attempt to figure out what's the appropriate route and apply it for different vehicle's needs. Roads, trees, gas stations are changing all the time. There is no substitute for real local knowledge and experience.